Audi A6 Allroad

welshwarrior

My girlfriend have one, 2008 model that has done 19000 km, that i borrow from time to time when hunting. In the "offroad" or "lift" (highest clearance but limited to 40 kph speed) positions it goes anywere in any conditions. Tried it here in Sweden several times on really bad snow/mud/forest tracks/fields.

The V6 diesel is nice but thirsty, it is a really smooth ride thanks to the air suspension on main roads.

Read some bad stuff regarding the petrol versions when we were shopping around, Google around a bit and you should find stuff.

/Markus

2 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Currently the Q7 has worked well for me but more day to day driving means a more efficient car would be very useful the allroad seems an answer, I see the Subaru out a fair bit doing the same but it’s too small for what the family want.  

Seems I need to get out on a test drive 

probably the same as Subaru, be careful of damage underneath if someone has bottomed it out.

If you have the the Q7 diesel now the A6 is the same mechanically but lower to the ground and little bit lighter. Should do a couple of more miles to the gallon but don't expect too much.

I ran a 3.0 TDI A4 qautro cabriolet for years and it was  a very nice drive capable on grass a.nd muddy tracks but low ground clearance, mpg was ok if you tickled it along at 60 on aong run otherwise it liked a drink.

Currently have a XC90 nice big comfy but thirsty and a Renault Kadjar AWD smaller than the Volvo quicker and very good mpg.

The Skoda estate 4x4 gets good reviews and good mpg being a 2.0l diesel

Edited by figgy

I had a 2015 model with the 272 bhp engine it was an incredible car on the road it was swift and handled very well but off road it just came into its own and very often out performed the Land Rover Defenders and Hilux's we have at work. I am not talking deep ruts but in wet muddy sheep fields it just found grip where the others couldn't. Another plus for them is the adjustable suspension at full stretch it comes up to 20mm below the Discovery sport although again you would want to avoid deep ruts. The boot space is huge and again for work I used to carry a lot of heavy equipment routinely with no problems. MPG I found that my 3 litre used to manage mid to high 30's when driven sensibly. The only problem I found with the A6 allroad was it went through tyres very quickly from memory I used to average a new set every 8 or 9 thousand miles, but that could have been my driving style. As you can probably gather from this post I am a massive fan of the car and after 3 years of having one was very sad to see it go.       

1 hour ago, Mr gen said:

I had a 2015 model with the 272 bhp engine it was an incredible car on the road it was swift and handled very well but off road it just came into its own and very often out performed the Land Rover Defenders and Hilux's we have at work. I am not talking deep ruts but in wet muddy sheep fields it just found grip where the others couldn't. Another plus for them is the adjustable suspension at full stretch it comes up to 20mm below the Discovery sport although again you would want to avoid deep ruts. The boot space is huge and again for work I used to carry a lot of heavy equipment routinely with no problems. MPG I found that my 3 litre used to manage mid to high 30's when driven sensibly. The only problem I found with the A6 allroad was it went through tyres very quickly from memory I used to average a new set every 8 or 9 thousand miles, but that could have been my driving style. As you can probably gather from this post I am a massive fan of the car and after 3 years of having one was very sad to see it go.       

Ok that actually makes it harder the Q7 was like that on road tyres from Audi but Grabbers lasts 35k.  MPG  sounds more or less the same A6, boot smaller car lower so all I gain is handeling on road.  

I was hoping for mpg mid to late 40s Q7 gives me 35-7mpg on motorway runs 

Welshwarrior with the same engine and 4 wheel drive system and not much smaller or lighter  your never going to gain much mpg. My Audi was 1800 kilos with me and a full tank of fuel around two ton. Tyre wear was same on my car, 35k out of ats is very good.

Only way to save mpg is go smaller lighter and smaller engines 

3 hours ago, welshwarrior said:

Christ it over 1/2 tonne light more aerodynamic and more modern I’d like some saving! 

You'd expect some but it don't seem to happen in everyday driving, have a look on the Audi sport net forums. You'd be lucky to see four miles per gallon better over mixed driving.

I checked my Audi as it stored in the computer the average over forty thousand miles and the average was 36 point something,though not bad not great either the best we got was 47mpg Hartlepool to Gatwick and back to Hartlepool. My XC90 is averaging 28. Mpg best is 37 on a long run I don't drive them hard.

Edited by figgy