Hand tightening extended chokes

Lloyd90

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just hand tighten mine and I’ve done it for so long I’ve got into the habit of doing it regularly without really thinking about it; at a clay shoot I’ll do it each time I unsleeve my gun prior to going into the stand. I just tighten the extended one with my fingers then slip a finger into the muzzle to tighten the flush one. Its very rare they need it, but It’s as common to me now as is looking through my barrels before inserting cartridges.

Its so ingrained I often find myself reaching to check with those guns of mine which have fixed chokes. 

I had an extended Teague that used to shoot loose even after key tightening, every 10/15 shots through my Beretta 391. I swapped it for a Briley extended and it never  shot loose again. As has already been said, be very careful with any chokes that come loose, continued shooting can have devastating and expensive consequences. 

7 hours ago, steveshoots said:

Be carefull LLoyd I use a teague choke key to nip mine up. The reason being last year a bloke on the end of our shooting pegs blew out the end of his barrel after his choke came loose

and that was an extended choke hand tightened. After that I bought my key from teague (£17.50) just for peace of mind.

I had two previously that I did by hand, but when I bought a set off here they came with a tool to do them proper snug. 

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lloyd, hand tighten in and then the key is for getting tight ones out!

The Teague type keys use the friction across the full diameter of the choke.

Yes that’s the tool that I have. 

So it’s fine to just tighten them in by hand, and the tool is only for removing them?! 

A lot depends on the dynamics of the particular brand of choke you happen to be using coupled to the guns own sensitivities, for example most people find that Muller tend to stay snug with fairly moderate hand tightening, Beretta Optima extended on the other hand are notorious for working loose even with the use of a tool ! I tend to give them a good twist with a suitable key and will frequently check to make sure they haven't worked loose; for a choke to be physically blasted out of the barrel it would have to have unscrewed itself a turn or two 😑  which would/should be picked up by keeping an eye on things. 

1 minute ago, Brodie said:

I believe Teague recommend using the key to tighten.

I have two sets of Teague’s fitted to two different guns.  I use the key to tighten after reinserting following cleaning, but always check with a finger when out shooting. I’ve never thought to take a choke key with me when shooting, either for clays or game.