Hand tightening extended chokes

Lloyd90

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once a month I go to North Wales Shooting School, and the full Welsh breakfast is absolutely fantastic and very reasonably priced.

The furthest clay I shoot there is 50 yards ( not edge on ) and 1/2 choke with a S x S breaks them comfortably with 21g loads. The time lag from shot to break is remarkable. 

I now regard O/U 's as satanic devices but I had one about 5 years ago with extended nurled chokes. Despite obsessive checking they never came loose and were just finger tight.

Edited by Robertt

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

On a serious note how much difference will it make to have a gun properly fitted and how much would you expect to pay? 

Most AAA shots have never had their guns "fitted", not in the recognised sense of handing themselves and their gun to a gunsmith sort of way anyway, some will be shooting the gun in pure factory form with just the pad type and length being non standard, others might have added an adjustable comb to give themselves the sight picture and cast they desire, one or three may go to the trouble of refining the grip to suit their needs..................

I'd go as far as to say that getting a gun properly fitted is a pretty good sign that you either are or are destined to be spending a long natural life in A class or thereabouts. 

I have nothing at all against getting guns fitted but it isn't the be all and end all, at best it's as important as making sure you get the right general type of gun in the first place; what I mean by this is that if I were forced to choose between a fully fitted brand new £100k Perazzi game gun weighting 7-1/4 lbs or my own £4k choice off the shelf, I'd choose the latter because it's perfectly possible for an experienced shooter to select a new or 2nd hand gun with dimensions (and dynamics such as barrel weight) that are close enough to be good enough (most guns are fairly similar in any case and most will throw flat for most people) (obvious master eye or other idiosyncrasies notwithstanding). 

Knowledge and skill are more important than absolute fit, I have always said that a good AA will pick up another persons gun with which they're struggling and shoot at least as well straight off, in the end it is YOU who has to tell the fitter what you want and need, if you go to 10 different experts you will get at least 7 different answers, only your own answer matters. 

Ok Choke I’ve had the advantage of watch some of the best sporting clay shooters regularly and they rarely change chokes now these aren’t your average AA they are the AA that win on courses lots say are too hard and drop their averages.  So the right chokes for you seem to work for these guys on most targets.  

Gun fit at the top level is different the shooter really knows what works for them most people don’t.  It’s a bit like a F1 drivers and car set up they know what trim adjustments they want and why. Most average shots don’t have a clue and lots often believe they do know.  A gun fitter will help a normal shot but that won’t make you go C class to A in a weekend. 

A I once heard a well respect AA shot and coach explain to a struggling shot “you can’t buy talent and can’t replace practice with money”

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

On a serious note how much difference will it make to have a gun properly fitted and how much would you expect to pay? 

It will depend how bad the gun fits to start with and how good you actually are!

It could cost a fortune if they needed to do a lot of work on the gun, but if it was that bad you might be better to chuck it and get another that fits better to start with.

Steaming/bending a stock to fit you is risky, and you will get no guarantee as it can go wrong.