Lab not lifting freshly shot game

Rossco89

4 year old lab will left pheasant wings on dummies, all manor of cold game but today wouldn’t lift a freshly shot cock pheasant. 

Frustrating as did well to find it. 

Tried setting it out later at a short distance and sending the dog for it. Would just sniff round it, eventually lifted and retrieved it once so gave plenty praise but then wouldn’t do it again.

any suggestions?

A lot of dogs will not retrieve game that they have already retrieved once and handed over. Why would they?

As for not retrieving in the first place, encourage the dog to find it then walk away giving your return whistle. Not many dogs will leave game they have found if they see their handler walking away.

30 minutes ago, JDog said:

A lot of dogs will not retrieve game that they have already retrieved once and handed over. Why would they?

As for not retrieving in the first place, encourage the dog to find it then walk away giving your return whistle. Not many dogs will leave game they have found if they see their handler walking away.

that is a good way.....................

i did have a similar problem for a very short while with one of my labs..............and it was cured when i let her run down a pricked hen and waked in the opposite direction....

Have the same with my young springer just coming up 8 months, he will pick a dummy with wings, he will pick rabbit skin balls and a rabbit skin dummy but not a cold pheasant. 

Have only tried twice but hadn’t picked one yet. 

Am going to get hold of a feral pigeon to try him on first. 

10 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Have the same with my young springer just coming up 8 months, he will pick a dummy with wings, he will pick rabbit skin balls and a rabbit skin dummy but not a cold pheasant. 

Have only tried twice but hadn’t picked one yet. 

Am going to get hold of a feral pigeon to try him on first. 

Have you tried a smaller bird? A partridge or teal might give the dog a bit more confidence. 

My Springer wouldnt pick up cold game but would retrieve dummies all day, land or water , my friends Springer was the exact opposite. We got the two together with some dummies and game.. very shortly with a bit of encouragement, his bitch retrieves dummies in the loch and mine doesn't think twice about game

6 hours ago, Ttfjlc said:

Have you tried a smaller bird? A partridge or teal might give the dog a bit more confidence. 

NO I haven't managed to get hold of one at the moment, although have heard that feral pigeons feathers don't come off easily like wood pigeon so they are a good bird to start on :) 

Feral pigeon are fine, can you get someone with a more experienced dog do a few retrieves in front of the dogwhile he just watches he just needs showing what to do, but don't be in a hurry as he will do it when he's ready 

Edited by B725

3 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

NO I haven't managed to get hold of one at the moment, although have heard that feral pigeons feathers don't come off easily like wood pigeon so they are a good bird to start on :) 

Hopefully it won't take long for him to 'click', I remember my Labrador being really hesitant to pick up a pinkfoot, even had my dad's lab there showing him how it's done yet he still lacked the confidence, first goose he retrieved on a flight? A Canada :lol: