amh1992

Hi everyone. I took my dad shooting yesterday. it was his first shoot in around 30 years. he was a keen shooter up until the late 80s. I took over his gun last summer and have got into the sport my self in a big way. I have a semi auto browning and his old Franchi 400. All is well and good with the guns for my use. The problem is he has now started taking an interest in shooting again. But has sever arthritis in his wrists and hand and the recoil is making it near unboreable  for him to shoot. I want to get him a gun that he might be able to work with something he can use and shoot without being in pain and giving up on the idea of going out again.

Many thanks

On 27/12/2018 at 11:48, figgy said:

As above a 20bore gas operated semi auto will be the lightest recoiling gun.

A Beretta A400 light or similar.

You don't say what your budget is, if your not wanting to spend much the Armsan 20 bore would be a good choice.

yeah i have the 20g Armsan in auto cracking little gin for the money

20 bore or 28 bore much preferred to 410. Those two calibers can take many loads which are either much lighter than 12 bore loads all the way up to very similar loads for game. Also, they are much lighter and smaller guns. 410 is effectively a 67 bore or something around that so you are at a real disadvantage with one of those compared to a 20 which is not really at any real disadvantage to a 12. However, 410 guns are still very capable - just don’t have the versatility of 20/28. 

At the end of the day any gun is likely to aggravate his condition - small tools (as in a smaller, lighter gun) are of no real advantage if Arthritis is bad as it's just increasing the movement required by the joints and taking your hand away from it's normal resting position, which is normally least painful. If he is determined and it's only his hands that are of concern then I would suggest a semi 12 and a visit to his Doctors for steroid tablets such as Prednisolone - one dose taken 5-6 hours before shooting should make his life a whole lot easier?