Amazon Echo? Is it safe?

fatchap

Having read the thread on here about smart homes, I was wondering as I got an Echo Plus for crimbo. How its so fast at assessing information and playing music?

I'm a bit worried to be honest, it runs rings round my PC which is extremely fast at currently 267 mbs virgin media.

I have it so it recognises my voice and It interrupted me and my wife last night when we arguing what goes into margarita cocktail, and thats no bull, i do not remember saying the wake up word at all.

I have read online that its not clever to let it have full access to your contacts on your phone, which is one of its key features as it can make catastrophically expensive misinterpretations.

Also the lights worry me as the green in the blue seems to track you around the room.

47 minutes ago, Benthejockey said:

I might have imagined it, which is entirely possible, but I’m sure I read/saw/heard that it stored your commands in a database and that this data was used to convict someone of something that they otherwise would have gotten away with? I could have completely fabricated that I’m not sure!

If it hasn't happened yet, it will do soon! I know someone was convicted after evidence was gained from a wifi-enabled washing machine. A chap's defence was that he couldn't have been out being a criminal because he was at home doing his washing. The timing on the cycle fitted, but police gained access to his phone and data records via a warrant and proved he'd used the app to start the cycle remotely. 

I'm with the sceptics on this stuff. The more devices like this you have, the more access points you're giving someone if they want to hack in, aside from the data collection that is possible through them

2 hours ago, fatchap said:

Having read the thread on here about smart homes, I was wondering as I got an Echo Plus for crimbo. How its so fast at assessing information and playing music?

I'm a bit worried to be honest, it runs rings round my PC which is extremely fast at currently 267 mbs virgin media.

I have it so it recognises my voice and It interrupted me and my wife last night when we arguing what goes into margarita cocktail, and thats no bull, i do not remember saying the wake up word at all.

I have read online that its not clever to let it have full access to your contacts on your phone, which is one of its key features as it can make catastrophically expensive misinterpretations.

Also the lights worry me as the green in the blue seems to track you around the room.

Being technically inept and suspicious, seems an open portal for the technically adept.

Apparently it dosn,t work for the government. And your not to ask it questions at 3am in the morning. 

And contrary to popular belief hasnt got a really creepy laugh.

At this very moment mine is singing I know a song that will get on your nerves, get on your nerves get get get on your nerves ......and it is.

Alexa or the echo  is not aloud in my house !!!

I’m sure a couple of years ago I remember  Samsung were being investigated Or had some link to a anti terror operation in the uk. through there smart tv’s ,remote controls as they have microphones in them for the voice recognition feature . 

I’m only young...ish and I remember when I was at school (15year who) the computer department always told us (mostly the girls) to put a piece of blue tac or a sticker over there webcams or camera on the laptops as people could easily hack into them and watch you and then possibly blackmail you with whatever thay had seen/stored .im sure this has all gone on for years but I personally wouldnt want to put  my family in that situation .

each to there own with this stuff  tho ! 👍😀

SS

Edited by secret-squirrel

11 hours ago, Danger-Mouse said:

Could do with some of that for the feckless workshy creatures here.

Was once told by an adept that there's always a back door access to every system for the creator, the knack is finding it.

Edited by old man

2 hours ago, secret-squirrel said:

Alexa or the echo  is not aloud in my house !!!

I’m sure a couple of years ago I remember  Samsung were being investigated Or had some link to a anti terror operation in the uk. through there smart tv’s ,remote controls as they have microphones in them for the voice recognition feature . 

I’m only young...ish and I remember when I was at school (15year who) the computer department always told us (mostly the girls) to put a piece of blue tac or a sticker over there webcams or camera on the laptops as people could easily hack into them and watch you and then possibly blackmail you with whatever thay had seen/stored .im sure this has all gone on for years but I personally wouldnt want to put  my family in that situation .

each to there own with this stuff  tho ! 👍😀

SS

I’ve had a few of those emails telling me they have put a virus on my computer that hacked into the monitor camera and if I did not want the footage made public I had to send them $500, best is I don’t have a monitor camera. :cool:

Alexa listens and stores your requests on cloud, this is said to give you a better experience once Alexa starts to learn about you and your requests….:hmm: