Amazon Echo? Is it safe?

fatchap

I have a google phone, if i talk about a certain things adverts start to "randomly " appear, i use gmail and chrome, i chromecast, i have no illusions about the listening that goes on, i have alexa, very handy, streaming music, shopping lists, asking questions, turning lights down,  tv on etc.

How many of you have a smart tv?is it listening ?

On 27/12/2018 at 15:04, fatchap said:

it runs rings round my PC which is extremely fast at currently 267 mbs virgin media.

... because that is the only task it has.  It does nothing but listen, constantly *.   Streaming is probably No. 1 request so it does it quickly.

*  People keep telling me they can turn it off with an "Alexa Off" or whatever so it does not listen all the time.  "Great" I say, "How does it know when to come on?".  "Easy" they say, "I just say 'Alexa On'."    "Oh", I say, "How did it know you said that, if it was not listening all the time?"

People really are obtuse,

RS

1 hour ago, RockySpears said:

... because that is the only task it has.  It does nothing but listen, constantly *.   Streaming is probably No. 1 request so it does it quickly.

*  People keep telling me they can turn it off with an "Alexa Off" or whatever so it does not listen all the time.  "Great" I say, "How does it know when to come on?".  "Easy" they say, "I just say 'Alexa On'."    "Oh", I say, "How did it know you said that, if it was not listening all the time?"

People really are obtuse,

RS

I found the alexa is just about perfect MOA Fox at 300yds. 

Its OFF then :yes:

3 hours ago, la bala said:

For what its worth, my grandson is a cyber security analyst, he told me he would not have one in his house.

But does he have any form of phone/ tablet or smart tv or anything in the car that is Bluetooth connected to a phone ? A PlayStation or x-box? 

Does he have a computer and use the internet- obviously in his line of work he is aware, but even the most aware are susceptible.

I’m amused by cyber aware people who still place envelopes and bills etc into the recycle bin. 

But, still like mine - even our home cinema amp is connected to the net so could at this very moment be listening in to the wife watching Corrie 🙂

1 hour ago, Jaymo said:

But does he have any form of phone/ tablet or smart tv or anything in the car that is Bluetooth connected to a phone ? A PlayStation or x-box? 

Does he have a computer and use the internet- obviously in his line of work he is aware, but even the most aware are susceptible.

I’m amused by cyber aware people who still place envelopes and bills etc into the recycle bin. 

But, still like mine - even our home cinema amp is connected to the net so could at this very moment be listening in to the wife watching Corrie 🙂

I doubt he is aware or knows anything about that.