Scaffolding question

Ricko

Hi, I need to replace the fascia boards at the rear of my house, but the conservatory is in the way. I'm going to have to get scaffolding erected to allow access.

Is there a time limit on the rental of the scaffolding? I want to take my time over a couple of weekends and of course there is the weather factor too.

Cheers 

24 minutes ago, Doggone said:

You usually pay for erection and 4 weeks hire. Then so much a week 

andy

That's the sort of thing, it'll allow me to work around the weather etc.

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

My scaffolder usually charges around 200 quid plus vat for scaffold over a conservatory. That’s the entire charge as long as you don’t take the Michael. 

It's an awkward job, the conservatory is in an L-shaped recess and has a gas pipe running on the wall above it!

47 minutes ago, Doggone said:

You usually pay for erection and 4 weeks hire. Then so much a week 

andy

That is exactly the same as the company I used to get to do our scaffolding , pay the initial charge , have it for four weeks maximum and then I believe it was 10% of the hire charge per week so if the price was £400 it would be £40 a week for any extra weeks over the first 28 days .

37 minutes ago, team tractor said:

Don’t scrimp on scaffolding. I almost lost my life on rubbish scaffolding and always enforce quality.

hand rail 

mid rail

kick boards 

nets if over conservatives or other people’s gardens. 

So many company’s cut corners . 

We normally pay about a grand all round round I think . 

Predictive text I presume 🤣

"nets over conservatives"

Don't do it on the cheap for sure.  The last time I had scaffolding for a chimney repair it cost me £250 notes and that was up three storeys and around the chimney, which I thought was pretty reasonable. The team where known to the roofer who did the job so no corners cut.  I just rang them as requested when the job was completed and they took it down within th week.

Pays to get the job done by pros for sure.

5 hours ago, marsh man said:

That is exactly the same as the company I used to get to do our scaffolding , pay the initial charge , have it for four weeks maximum and then I believe it was 10% of the hire charge per week so if the price was £400 it would be £40 a week for any extra weeks over the first 28 days .

This is the same as what i pay (10% /week). however if you speak to them they will usually give you a little longer, depending on job size.

3 hours ago, team tractor said:

Don’t scrimp on scaffolding. I almost lost my life on rubbish scaffolding and always enforce quality.

hand rail 

mid rail

kick boards 

nets if over conservatives or other people’s gardens. 

So many company’s cut corners . 

We normally pay about a grand all round round I think . 

Also nowadays the scaffolding company have to put a completion ticket on the scaffold to let people know it is safe to work on .

We had to have a scaffold erected for a lead company to do some lead repairs on a lead gulley , we were told it would be ready by the Monday , on the Friday they finished so I informed the lead boys it was ready , come Monday two blokes turned up to carry out the lead repairs , after getting the gear out of the van they rang me up to say they are not allowed to go on it as there is no completion ticket on the ladder , I rang the scaffold company to tell them I have got two blokes standing about because they can't see this ticket , they said there chaps were working on another job and couldn't get there till around dinnertime , anyhow they didn't come till the lead boys had packed up and left the job , we got a bill for nearly £300 from the lead company for wasted time , this was passed on to the scaffold firm who took it off the bill , insurance won't let them on the scaffold without seeing this ticket. 

18 hours ago, marsh man said:

Also nowadays the scaffolding company have to put a completion ticket on the scaffold to let people know it is safe to work on .

We had to have a scaffold erected for a lead company to do some lead repairs on a lead gulley , we were told it would be ready by the Monday , on the Friday they finished so I informed the lead boys it was ready , come Monday two blokes turned up to carry out the lead repairs , after getting the gear out of the van they rang me up to say they are not allowed to go on it as there is no completion ticket on the ladder , I rang the scaffold company to tell them I have got two blokes standing about because they can't see this ticket , they said there chaps were working on another job and couldn't get there till around dinnertime , anyhow they didn't come till the lead boys had packed up and left the job , we got a bill for nearly £300 from the lead company for wasted time , this was passed on to the scaffold firm who took it off the bill , insurance won't let them on the scaffold without seeing this ticket. 

fella round the corner from me, brickie had a load of scaffolding collapse on him, i believe it had been errected but wasn't finished, he was in a bad way for some time, so can't blame the lead lads.

27 minutes ago, Mice! said:

fella round the corner from me, brickie had a load of scaffolding collapse on him, i believe it had been errected but wasn't finished, he was in a bad way for some time, so can't blame the lead lads.

No I didn't blame the lead guys one bit , as it turned out the scaffold was finished but nobody put a ticket on it to say so , there mistake and not ours , we had them do more work for us as time wore on and they made sure they didn't make the same mistake twice .