Wage packets

Scully

As above; does anyone still get a wage packet full of cash? I haven’t had such for over 20 years now, and even as a  self employed subbie I either got only a wage slip or paid directly via BACS. 

My OH however, is still paid cash by her latest employer. Each week her boss has to undergo a 20 mile round trip to get the cash to pay eight employees, who then each week have to journey to the bank to deposit their wages. We are very rural here and the two banks in one small town are now closed. Some have 26 mile round trips and my OH has a 19 mile round trip to the bank. It’s not a hardship admittedly, I just wondered how common cash filled wage packets are nowadays. 

Edited by Scully

Last time I was paid by cash in a brown envelope was when I worked in a pub pulling pints, and before that as a dish washer when still in school. 

Might be that industries that get paid by their customer's in cash, find it easier to pay staff in cash, as its already sitting around.

Bit odd that your Mrs Boss drives to the bank to collect cash, then pays them, and then they drive to possible the very same bank to pay it back in... just ask him to do a bank transfer whilst he is there 🤣

31 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Bit odd that your Mrs Boss drives to the bank to collect cash, then pays them, and then they drive to possible the very same bank to pay it back in... just ask him to do a bank transfer whilst he is there 🤣

This is exactly what OH said; it is indeed the same bank! 😃

Probably 2000, last time i saw someone get a brown envelope, a few die hards who didn't want their wives knowing what they earned.

we've paid for a few jobs and even my car with part payment in a brown envelope though.

certainly sounds like the boss should just be paying the money into their accounts while he's there.

I spent many years in the 70's and 80's converting company payrolls from cash to BACS payments.

I resolved to do this in every company I worked at after spending one fraught Christmas week payday sorting out a huge cash payroll (holiday pay and pre-Christmas overtime having trebled the usual payroll). We had been tipped off by the local police that they had received information that we were to be turned over - so had some plain-clothes officers in the accounts office too. All very exciting, but nothing happened and never again!

The unions objected, until I pointed out that it was their administrative staff members who were being put at potential risk.

In a later company, I had one very difficult employee who insisted that he should be paid in cash and would give no bank details to enable a BACS payment, so I agreed that I would pay him in cash - and plonked over £1000 in £1 coins on his desk on the next pay day.

He gave me his bank details the following day.

When you consider the bank charges, the costs of security deliveries if the sums are large and the  time taken in making up the brown envelopes, I am amazed that any company nowadays would be paying wages in cash

I work full time for the council. I get a little brown envelope with a cheque in it. 

Best bit is, until recently, if I actually wanted to put the cheque in, I'd have to wait an extra 2 days to deposit (Fridays 2pm finish and paid on Wednesdays) or take 1 hours holiday every week to drive the 16mile round trip to put my wages in.

Madness. 

My lads always get a wage slip ( thought you had to ?? The mrs does too at ALDI) paid online tho.

we refuse cheques as payment and have done for a few years.

bacs is so easy even on your mobile. 

Why o why would anyone pay cash ??? You can’t prove anything. It’s trust only unless staff sign for it. Some of my mates earn £100k a year and paid monthly. Imagine the cash walking home .

Edited by team tractor

In the 70's I used to be paid cash in an envelope. Brown paper on one side and transparent paper on the other so you could check coins. In one corner was a small perforated square which was torn off to check the notes.

A bloke showed me one day how easy it was to take the notes out. He smeared a small amount of glue on a piece of thin wire and pushed it through the little square and rolled it, wrapping a note onto it and then pulled it out of the envelope.

My first wage in the 60s was £4 - 4 shillings (4 Guineas), £2 given to my Mum for housekeeping and the remainder (£2 - 4 shillings) seemed to last me well for the week and I still managed to go out at weekends. I think that a pint then was less than 2 Bob.

I do remember as an apprentice, not being entitled to the company's bonus payments, paid twice yearly, but having the same name as an older employee, received his bonus by mistake one time. He of course, advised the company straight away but it took them three weeks to establish who had received it. Being near Xmas, I was able to buy my Mum a good Xmas present and ended up paying them back 10 shillings a week. Blow me down, if the Company didn't do exactly the same 6 months later. I would have thought that they would have learnt their lesson the first time.

Also recall walking through a busy bus station every Thursday when the wages guy would negotiate the public with an open tray to distribute the cash in lots of brown envelopes to the drivers and conductors. Cannot see that happening today.

OB