Wage packets

Scully

On a big estate where I brush (beat to you non-Norfolkers) we get a neat little brown envelope with 3 drinking vouchers which of course, we have to declare to HMRC! My other income sources use the (diasappointing) electronic route. I much prefer the envelope - and I think my wife likes it when I hand her one of these unopened.

11 minutes ago, norfolk dumpling said:

On a big estate where I brush (beat to you non-Norfolkers) we get a neat little brown envelope with 3 drinking vouchers which of course, we have to declare to HMRC! My other income sources use the (diasappointing) electronic route. I much prefer the envelope - and I think my wife likes it when I hand her one of these unopened.

Ah yes!! 

I forgot completely, the last time I actually had a wage packet was beating the other weak, when we received a small sum for a day out. 

Dont forget that as HMRC want to count your income from this that you need to deduct your expenses. 

Dog, dog food, fuel, beating clothes, 4x4 ... 

My first wage came in a small brown envelope, £4-0s-3d for a week as an apprentice Gasfitter. I remember the top right hand corner being cut off so that the bank notes could be counted prior to the envelope being opened. This design was abandoned after some bright spark (dangerous around gas  !) found that he could insert a pencil and wind a banknote around it and then withdraw it from the envelope, he then claimed he had been paid 'short' and got the missing note from the petty cash at the Office. Obviously he got greedy and was set up with marked notes, he was duly locked up  !

Last time I got wages in a brown envelope they were calculated and paid to the last halfpenny (pre-decimal, the sort with a ship on them).   Earlier, in geometry lessons at school, we found that a penny and a halfpenny came in useful when we needed to draw two circles of different sizes, and the halfpenny was a handy measuring aid, being almost exactly one inch in diameter.

On a dairy farm in 1964, we used to put in at least an hour and a half per day more than the official working time, and around the third week of December my workmate asked whether it wouldn't be fair to pay us some overtime.   The farmer thought about it for a few moments, and then said "No".   The said  workmate was somewhat disgruntled when the next payday happened to fall on Christmas Day, and we were still paid down to the last halfpenny.    I didn't complain because we were pre-college students, and supposedly there to gain dairying experience, although the thing I learned most about on that place was shovelling and distributing bovine excrement (hence the username).