Sign in to follow this  
ditchman

Opinel resurrection "mainly"

re-doing an old opinel #7............

you will be all suffering from "knife fatigue"..........so if you are fed up looking at knives tell me............

old opinel 001tn_.JPG

old opinel 002tn_.JPG

old opinel 003tn_.JPG

old opinel 004tn_.JPG

old opinel 005tn_.JPG

old opinel 006tn_.JPG

old opinel 007tn_.JPG

old opinel 008tn_.JPG

old opinel 009tn_.JPG

old opinel 010tn_.JPG

old opinel 011tn_.JPG

old opinel 012tn_.JPG

old opinel 013tn_.JPG

old opinel 014tn_.JPG

11 minutes ago, 7daysinaweek said:

Well said Flynny.

I have knife envy!

so do i ...............then i have to post them off....dosnt get any easier...:lol:

Just now, ditchman said:

so do i ...............then i have to post them off....dosnt get any easier...

Things of beauty and practicality them ditchy, I can imagine parting with them a difficult thing.

Keep up the sterling craftsmanship.

atb

7diaw

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

hello, can never get fed up looking at your work skills simon, only wish i still had my workshop:unhappy:

quite honestly....with a modicome of tools ...if you took your time , you could make one on the kitchen table,,,,,,,,:good:

This little old opinel will be on its way to Old Boggy next week.....then i can get started on Gordon R's one...as the first handle i started to make for that had a fault line in it and i had to bin it ...shame as it was a superbly patterned antler point..

i cant get the rust pockets out as they are too deep ...but no matter ..it gives it some age........

all in all a nice little #7 pocket knife.........

finished 001tn_.JPG

finished 002tn_.JPG

finished 003tn_.JPG

finished 004tn_.JPG

finished 005tn_.JPG

finished 006tn_.JPG

finished 007tn_.JPG

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

This little old opinel will be on its way to Old Boggy next week.....then i can get started on Gordon R's one...as the first handle i started to make for that had a fault line in it and i had to bin it ...shame as it was a superbly patterned antler point..

i cant get the rust pockets out as they are too deep ...but no matter ..it gives it some age........

finished 001tn_.JPG

finished 002tn_.JPG

finished 003tn_.JPG

finished 004tn_.JPG

finished 005tn_.JPG

finished 006tn_.JPG

finished 007tn_.JPG

Wow, that is absolutely stunning as is all your work on these knives. I therefore very much look forward to receiving it.

It will be treasured, admired, used and lovingly looked after.

Many thanks Simon. 

OB

now that one looks just fine as it is...........if it was treated to my rebuild it would spoil the look of it ...:good:

17 hours ago, ditchman said:

quite honestly....with a modicome of tools ...if you took your time , you could make one on the kitchen table,,,,,,,,:good:

And if my Wife caught me I know what would be the first things the knife would cut off  !    😧

I was looking at that red spiker alongside but now you say it, I also think just a clean up would be sufficient. Had it given me yesterday to play with so will refurbish and return it.

The blade has been ground away over the years obviously by someone who hasn't a clue, so tidy that up and the blade is now so narrow the slots for releasing it are buried in the handle so i think I will reprofile it there to give access to the slots.  It still has the makings of a useful little knife.  Thanks Ditchy for giving me the nudge.

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

finished 001tn_.JPG

finished 002tn_.JPG

finished 003tn_.JPG

finished 004tn_.JPG

finished 005tn_.JPG

finished 006tn_.JPG

finished 007tn_.JPG

You're just showing off now lol.

A thousand pounds couldn't buy you a prettier , and more perfect knife than that 👍.

Mel ive told you before ...if you can find me some decent red stag points i will make one for you.............ive had a hell of a time trying to find decent points ...

i could never sell these knives...it would totally knock on the head the fun of making them..........mind you i will have to put some sort of charge on them soon as i have spent over £80.00 quid on bloody postage so far..:crazy:

Decided to take that old Opinel to pieces this morning, easy peesy and it was dirty and abused to say the least. Your right Simon that blade is hard and this one has some nasty scratches on it I do not think I am going to get off, so I started on the inner retainer and cleaned that up nicely, transferred to my larger softer mop and it was coming up a peach when it suddenly caught and is now somewhere in my workshop:mad:.  Had an initial look but it looks like a through clean up before I find it. Could be sometime next year.  At least the door was closed, so it is in there somewhere.:ermm:

The interesting thing when it was apart is the mounting point is actually tapered.  The pin was a bit knackered so I'll have to make a new one of those.

53 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Decided to take that old Opinel to pieces this morning, easy peesy and it was dirty and abused to say the least. Your right Simon that blade is hard and this one has some nasty scratches on it I do not think I am going to get off, so I started on the inner retainer and cleaned that up nicely, transferred to my larger softer mop and it was coming up a peach when it suddenly caught and is now somewhere in my workshop.  Had an initial look but it looks like a through clean up before I find it. Could be sometime next year.  At least the door was closed, so it is in there somewhere.

The interesting thing when it was apart is the mounting point is actually tapered.  The pin was a bit knackered so I'll have to make a new one of those.

how do you mean....."the mounting point"..?

You give me a technical term ... the end of the handle where the two retaining clips fit where the pin goes through, there again they may not be called clips:no:

The inner such is still AWOL in my workshop                                                                            1/2 inch  to 5/8 inch

007.JPG

Edited by Walker570

Thanks ...if I don't find the missing piece then looks like I have to make one ...going to be fun!!  .. I have some nice pieces of hardwood around the place so might actually make a new handle as well.  No need to cut a slot as it can be laminated in.  I can then make the handle that little but longer for my dish pan sized hands and put a bit of shape into it.

Didn't want to steal your thunder with the antler.    In fact not a huge job to make a new blade.  An old bench saw blade might supply the material.

errr excuse me ................what are you doing......are you rebuilding the aforsaid opinel....or building a new one........

we need some clarity on this issue.....and NO pictures with blood in them.......(like last time)..:lol: