Sign in to follow this  
ditchman

Opinel resurrection "mainly"

I think I am going to make up a laminated  block of wood but put an insert  where the blade will fold which I can remove once it is all glued up, then turn/shape that into a new handle.

Turning on the lathe I can turn that tapered piece spot on and then shape the handle back from that.  Then fit the original blade etc.   I am tempted however to make a new blade we will see ... at the moment it is all in the mind as most things are aged 78.:yes:

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I think I am going to make up a laminated  block of wood but put an insert  where the blade will fold which I can remove once it is all glued up, then turn/shape that into a new handle.

Turning on the lathe I can turn that tapered piece spot on and then shape the handle back from that.  Then fit the original blade etc.   I am tempted however to make a new blade we will see ... at the moment it is all in the mind as most things are aged 78.

if you want a new handle ive got one or two here...:lol:

No, but thankyou. I just fancy playing as you probably did with the first antler one and will plane up a variety of different materials to hopefully produce a very individual result. I have lots of off cuts of man made handle materials and may use some of those, we will see. It may turn out to be a waste of time.  Making another blade is just another challenge.

Edited by Walker570

On 28/12/2018 at 13:56, ditchman said:

This little old opinel will be on its way to Old Boggy next week.....then i can get started on Gordon R's one...as the first handle i started to make for that had a fault line in it and i had to bin it ...shame as it was a superbly patterned antler point..

i cant get the rust pockets out as they are too deep ...but no matter ..it gives it some age........

all in all a nice little #7 pocket knife.........

finished 001tn_.JPG

finished 002tn_.JPG

finished 003tn_.JPG

finished 004tn_.JPG

finished 005tn_.JPG

finished 006tn_.JPG

finished 007tn_.JPG

Well, what can I say ! 

I have just received my knife from Simon and feel most privileged to now own what I consider to be a wonderful piece of craftsmanship in turning what was once just an ordinary knife, into something of bespoke beauty. The above photos, as good as they are, do not show the knife in its fully glory. You really have to hold and admire it to fully appreciate the work that`s gone into it. It feels great in the hand, so will be put to good use in the very near future and will be treasured always.

Thank you again Simon.

OB

Very nice once again a Opinel as it should be for a countryman by Ditchy