Opinel resurrection "mainly"

ditchman

I think I am going to make up a laminated  block of wood but put an insert  where the blade will fold which I can remove once it is all glued up, then turn/shape that into a new handle.

Turning on the lathe I can turn that tapered piece spot on and then shape the handle back from that.  Then fit the original blade etc.   I am tempted however to make a new blade we will see ... at the moment it is all in the mind as most things are aged 78.:yes:

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I think I am going to make up a laminated  block of wood but put an insert  where the blade will fold which I can remove once it is all glued up, then turn/shape that into a new handle.

Turning on the lathe I can turn that tapered piece spot on and then shape the handle back from that.  Then fit the original blade etc.   I am tempted however to make a new blade we will see ... at the moment it is all in the mind as most things are aged 78.

if you want a new handle ive got one or two here...:lol:

No, but thankyou. I just fancy playing as you probably did with the first antler one and will plane up a variety of different materials to hopefully produce a very individual result. I have lots of off cuts of man made handle materials and may use some of those, we will see. It may turn out to be a waste of time.  Making another blade is just another challenge.

Edited by Walker570

On 28/12/2018 at 13:56, ditchman said:

This little old opinel will be on its way to Old Boggy next week.....then i can get started on Gordon R's one...as the first handle i started to make for that had a fault line in it and i had to bin it ...shame as it was a superbly patterned antler point..

i cant get the rust pockets out as they are too deep ...but no matter ..it gives it some age........

all in all a nice little #7 pocket knife.........

finished 001tn_.JPG

finished 002tn_.JPG

finished 003tn_.JPG

finished 004tn_.JPG

finished 005tn_.JPG

finished 006tn_.JPG

finished 007tn_.JPG

Well, what can I say ! 

I have just received my knife from Simon and feel most privileged to now own what I consider to be a wonderful piece of craftsmanship in turning what was once just an ordinary knife, into something of bespoke beauty. The above photos, as good as they are, do not show the knife in its fully glory. You really have to hold and admire it to fully appreciate the work that`s gone into it. It feels great in the hand, so will be put to good use in the very near future and will be treasured always.

Thank you again Simon.

OB

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Well, cleaning out my workshop today and in the furthest corner I found the small sleeve which flew out of my fingers on the polishing mop and vanished, sooooo!!  I will be putting a new handle together for this old knife in the next few weeks so will see if I can get anywhere near the quality of Ditchies antler models...I doubt it very much,

Edited by Walker570

• 1 month later...
On 28 December 2018 at 15:13, Old Boggy said:

Wow, that is absolutely stunning as is all your work on these knives. I therefore very much look forward to receiving it.

It will be treasured, admired, used and lovingly looked after.

Many thanks Simon. 

OB

How do you guys get the blades polished - love my knife but blade sharpe but looks a state?

get 3 polishing mops and spindle for the grinder...and compound...coarse medium very fine.............emery paper 180 grit to 1000....bit of petrol for lube...off you go and dont cut yourself...takes about 2.5 hours to do a blade............

20 hours ago, ditchman said:

get 3 polishing mops and spindle for the grinder...and compound...coarse medium very fine.............emery paper 180 grit to 1000....bit of petrol for lube...off you go and dont cut yourself...takes about 2.5 hours to do a blade............

From experience ....  careful not to cut yourself:sad1:  now where did I log that picture ????

A ton of other stuff, maintaining 12 1/2 acres of property and vermin and deer to kill, I still have not got to that Opinel yet, but it all still rests on my desk here patiently waiting.

I have an old circular saw blade which is exactly the same thickness as the original blade, so plan to slightly redesign it.    Time is the problem and just looked and it is Friday again....where did Tuesday , Wednesday and Thursday go?

Edited by Walker570

On 14/03/2019 at 15:58, ditchman said:

Do you find mirror polishing a blade quite therapeutic? I do, sit there all day doing them, same as re-pointing brick work, people hate it. I don't! give me 200 ft by 8 ft brick wall that needs re-pointing and I'm as happy as a pig in ****

2 hours ago, fatchap said:

Do you find mirror polishing a blade quite therapeutic? I do, sit there all day doing them, same as re-pointing brick work, people hate it. I don't! give me 200 ft by 8 ft brick wall that needs re-pointing and I'm as happy as a pig in ****

i wouldnt say therapudic........................it is quite hard work.............and quite dangerous when you are on the grinder mop...i have to wear thick welding gloves cause if i dont it might snatch the blade and take my finger off................and inbetween every polish you have to clean up so the previous grit has all gone....i keep the mops seperate so there is no cross contamination............

I use a stout wire brush to clean the polish and finish mop. But first as you do its up the grades on the emery cloth but I use Duzzit as lube seems to work ok for me. then its on to the polishing mops Black soap first...clean, brown vornax....clean, then smurf poo....clean then finally cream vornax.

Its a lot less hard work if you get as near as mirror finish before you harden and temper the blade, Opinal blades are high carbon and extremely hard but as they have been heat treated already you do not have that luxury.

You obviously know your stuff Ditchman but..cut free gloves in my opinion are a better option. Welding gauntlets do what they are supposed to do and insulate you from heat, but the downside is you cannot feel the blade getting hot, not a problem with the opinals but a blade thats fixed via 2pk epoxy, heat will reactivate the glue. It does "go off" again but its significantly weaker. No cut gloves you can feel the heat and obviously protect you from cuts and stabs as I have had more than my fair share of wheel snatches thankfully they usually throw the blade downwards but it still scares the granny out of you.

3 hours ago, fatchap said:

I use a stout wire brush to clean the polish and finish mop. But first as you do its up the grades on the emery cloth but I use Duzzit as lube seems to work ok for me. then its on to the polishing mops Black soap first...clean, brown vornax....clean, then smurf poo....clean then finally cream vornax.

Its a lot less hard work if you get as near as mirror finish before you harden and temper the blade, Opinal blades are high carbon and extremely hard but as they have been heat treated already you do not have that luxury.

You obviously know your stuff Ditchman but..cut free gloves in my opinion are a better option. Welding gauntlets do what they are supposed to do and insulate you from heat, but the downside is you cannot feel the blade getting hot, not a problem with the opinals but a blade thats fixed via 2pk epoxy, heat will reactivate the glue. It does "go off" again but its significantly weaker. No cut gloves you can feel the heat and obviously protect you from cuts and stabs as I have had more than my fair share of wheel snatches thankfully they usually throw the blade downwards but it still scares the granny out of you.

you do much the same as me............i lay strips of emery paper on a flat piece of wood and use petrol to wash the cuttings away...then i emery up with 1000 grade before i go onto the coarse mop....then green....then rouge...........