Typical Rape

Clodhopper

This morning I met with JDog in a gateway to a field of Rape. This field had been keenly watched by my companion for the last few days. Birds were leaving a nearby village, crossing a busy road and dropping in the corner near the gateway. Luckily this corner was the only place we could safely  shoot due to the road, so that is where were laid out 10 plastic and the rotary. Wind was in our face but it was the best we could do. We were set up by about 08.30.

The birds came immediately but were tricky due to their direction of flight and jinking about trying to get in to the pattern. After an hour the flightline moved to another field we did not have permission to shoot. We had about 10 down.

Off we went to find more options. We headed off to a village about 4 miles  away where I had shot a few last week. There are lots of birds in this area and today was no different. A quick call to the farmer got the go ahead but we had to stay clear of a duck pond and some game cover, of course this is where the birds headed for!

JDog set up in a small copse on a couple of fields away as this was a favourite area the birds headed for when disturbed and I set up on the rape as near as I could to the line.

I was in the action from the off with birds not so much decoying but deviating enough to get a shot. JDog, however, was not so he came to my hide whilst I got under to line in a very steep and as I was to find out silty ditch. This worked and we moved birds over each other, enjoying some good shooting. Again this lasted and hour and the birds moved off to another rape field. 

There  was no time left to move again as I had to get home so we packed up at around 1 pm with 28 enjoyable birds in the bag. Not a huge bag by any standard but nice to get out after being stuck indoors for a couple of days.

Thanks for reading.

Two very enjoyable sessions.

It's fine to have wind in ones face when pigeons are coming from behind. These weren't and some just couldn't get in to the pattern.

At the second venue we must have seen 500 pigeons. The 'no shooting by the duck pond' rule was problematic. However another nice session during which Clodhopper shot a pigeon which rivalled the previous best I have seen shot by Agaman roost shooting two years ago.

Sounds like a great day , you have to be mobile some days as the birds have lots of rape to choose from. We share the countryside with other shooters who pay lots of money so you have to respect the work of the keepers for ther clients. Well done on a great day and thanks for this and other reports.

1 hour ago, Clodhopper said:

Hope you have all enjoyed the festive period and best of luck with finding some sport in the new year.

I am hoping to get on a line for an hour or 2 this afternoon. Will report back if I find some.

THANKS for the write up and GOOD LUCK for later on today the weather is good here at the moment , dry , mild with a bit of wind , ideal for a walk about or for just getting out .

47 minutes ago, Clodhopper said:

Well, I found a line coming from a wood going out to some rape. JDog, my cousin and I got tucked into a hedge to intercept them. However the flight never really got going as anticipated. We did finish up with half a dozen birds which were good fun on a strong wind.

Not all about numbers Clodhopper, you got out and had a bit of sport with like mined  people, can think of a lot worse things to do on a Saturday , like shopping :lol:

I was out the whole afternoon walking the reed beds and the marshes and got back home with the same amount of shells I went out with , was I disappointed ? , not so likely , had a lovely afternoon and already looking forward to Monday.

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Not all about numbers Clodhopper, you got out and had a bit of sport with like mined  people, can think of a lot worse things to do on a Saturday , like shopping :lol:

I was out the whole afternoon walking the reed beds and the marshes and got back home with the same amount of shells I went out with , was I disappointed ? , not so likely , had a lovely afternoon and already looking forward to Monday.

It was great to be out. After we finished I went and sat on a bank near a little pond we dug this year and have been feeding. It was pleasing to see a handful of mallard drop in as the light faded. I may well give this one a go after our last driven day.