New Jimny Launch

Davyo

Anybody else got their name down for a test drive? Launches on 01/01/19.

Apparently they are only bringing 600  units to the UK in January.However there is already an show of interest list of over 10,000.You tube reviews have been fantastic & Suzuki are now stating that they won't need to bother with any TV campaigns.They claim they won't be to meet demand in the UK.

I have already seen a Germany registered New Jimny listed on ebay with a starting price nearly 4k over the list price.

Ive had two Jimnys in the past and i loved them.Love the look of the 2019 model but getting hold of one will be hard.The 600 units coming to the UK already have owners according to my local Suzuki dealer.

Wifes Ignis is due to go back in June & really fancy another Jimny,but at this rate there probably won't even be any to test drive.

11272018235349.jpg

Edited by Davyo

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeh I was interested when the initial OTR price was estimated at £13k ish... it’s now starting at £15.5k. Too much for me, i’m afraid.

Looking at youtube reviews, although a capable offroader, it’s still tiny inside, 3 door and will have awful road handling, just like its predecessor.

I just bought a 2014 Dacia Duster 4wd with low mileage. So much comfier!

5 hours ago, humperdingle said:

Yeh I was interested when the initial OTR price was estimated at £13k ish... it’s now starting at £15.5k. Too much for me, i’m afraid.

Looking at youtube reviews, although a capable offroader, it’s still tiny inside, 3 door and will have awful road handling, just like its predecessor.

I just bought a 2014 Dacia Duster 4wd with low mileage. So much comfier!

Also like the predecessor its not very good on fuel, although improved.But for some daft reason all the negatives go out the window when you drive/live with  one for a  while.

I regret getting rid of mine after i stopped shooting & thought many a time about getting another.

All the best Davyo nice see you back on here. How's things? 

I think by June you should be ok to get hold of one.

They will ramp up production and ten thousand Interested won't be ten thousand sales. Even half that number of sales would be the best Suzuki could wish for.

I think they will make a very good used buy especially a well specced ex demo around six months old.

My son fancies a older Jimmy a grand for a bit of fun but they don't hang around long.

Edited by figgy

4 hours ago, Davyo said:

Also like the predecessor its not very good on fuel, although improved.But for some daft reason all the negatives go out the window when you drive/live with  one for a  while.

I regret getting rid of mine after i stopped shooting & thought many a time about getting another.

Yeh don’t get me wrong, I loved my 2003 Jimny - It got me through the really bad winter of 2010 when we really needed it.

But as you say, economy wasn’t great. 28-30 mpg on average if I remember correctly.

And it was definitely fun off road.

Also like the predecessor its not very good on fuel

Major negative is that, you'd think they would have improved mpg because that was the most people griped on about, the 1500 engine should have been a diesel.

Personally I don't like the shape, looks Russian to me...:lol:  I wouldn't buy one, I rather go for an older original model.

21 hours ago, figgy said:

All the best Davyo nice see you back on here. How's things? 

I think by June you should be ok to get hold of one.

They will ramp up production and ten thousand Interested won't be ten thousand sales. Even half that number of sales would be the best Suzuki could wish for.

I think they will make a very good used buy especially a well specced ex demo around six months old.

My son fancies a older Jimmy a grand for a bit of fun but they don't hang around long.

Hi mate,hope your keeping well.Figgy, there is not another forum out there that can touch PW mate. Plenty of active topics and i really missed  the Motoring and off Topic sections.

Even the MX5 OC  that i pay an annual fee of £35 has a terrible forum.Its slow,a nightmare to upload and topics can go days and even mths with no conversing.

This forum has an abundance of ongoing topics.Plus there's the old PW characters that i can see are still keeping the debates going strong.

On 29/12/2018 at 00:13, scouser said:

It needs a 16 -2lt diesel and a 6 sp box to keep the Rev,s down on the motorway, also a 5 door with roof tailgate, for when it,s down, so might as well get a 2nd hand vitara,  but it,s not as good off road and has,not got a ladder chassis 

👍 On the  money and I suspect they know that too.

When these things are launched they tend to come with safest marketing option and in this case 3 doors and a petrol engine means they can keep the headline price down and get thousands sold very quickly. BMW did the exact same thing  with the launch of the 3 door Mini One, in time hey kept adding to and expanding the range. 

If and when Suzuki make a six speed 1.6 hdi 5 door version (with the choice of automatics) it will sell like hot cakes and by then people will be used to the entry prices and will happily pay £3-£4k more for a more useful version. 

On 29/12/2018 at 00:13, scouser said:

It needs a 16 -2lt diesel and a 6 sp box to keep the Rev,s down on the motorway, also a 5 door with roof tailgate, for when it,s down, so might as well get a 2nd hand vitara,  but it,s not as good off road and has,not got a ladder chassis 

I’ve purposely searched out a petrol . My terios is so quiet and almost silent when lamping , no turbos or dual mass to go wrong. 

I wouldn’t want a 5 door but I had no choice as it’s second hand and all were 5 in a terry. 

Tail gates are good but too low in a jimny , I’ve hit my head on my t6 so many times when I’m walking off the path to road. 

Maybe the options  would be good I’m not denying but it’s just a cheap motor . 

On 27/12/2018 at 23:51, Davyo said:

Wifes Ignis is due to go back in June & really fancy another Jimny,but at this rate there probably won't even be any to test drive.

They always say that stocks are limited and supply is outstripping demand! It’s to get you to place an order and get in the queue, oldest trick in the sales book! Come June I’ll bet there will even be secondhand ones, ex demonstrators etc for sale! Watch this space!