• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, Velocette said:

Short road test here;

http://www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/6-jimny-chat/64145-new-jimny-my-video

If you want a bigger car,,buy a Vitata. The Jimny is what it is and that's why its lasted so long in its existing format. We wouldn't want it any other way.

Now Martins a Guy who knows Jimnys and will tell it how it is.I couldn't  believe i saw my 1st today  on launch day of all days.Parked up outside The Boat Shack Cafe at Derwent Res.I like it even more in the flesh & it was getting plenty of attention from people parking up.

Your bang on Velocette, The Jimny is what it is and owners don't care about the fuel consumption or size.I miss mine & every time i see one,be it a new one or a tatty wreck i end up on Autotrader app.

Edited by Davyo

5 hours ago, Davyo said:

Now Martins a Guy who knows Jimnys and will tell it how it is.I couldn't  believe i saw my 1st today  on launch day of all days.Parked up outside The Boat Shack Cafe at Derwent Res.I like it even more in the flesh & it was getting plenty of attention from people parking up.

Your bang on Velocette, The Jimny is what it is and owners don't care about the fuel consumption or size.I miss mine & every time i see one,be it a new one or a tatty wreck i end up on Autotrader app.

Of course they care, that's why I sold mine and what stops me from getting another.

I never got one because I knew a 1.3 petrol engine just wouldn't cut it for everyday use partly because of their poor mpg, back when you could also get the 1.0 litre engine the word was they just didn't like 3rd gear and above, I'd have loved one otherwise. 

The first one I ever drove was in Cyprus when having asked for a Vitara hire car we were given one as a stop gap for a single day and I nearly took it back after 200 yards when its refusal to keep to a straight line for more than a few yards at a time had me convinced there was something majorly wrong with it, it took a few minutes to realise all those stories about their hideousness on normal roads had been toned down. 

Edited by Hamster

1 hour ago, Hamster said:

I never got one because I knew a 1.3 petrol engine just wouldn't cut it for everyday use partly because of their poor mpg, back when you could also get the 1.0 litre engine the word was they just didn't like 3rd gear and because, I'd have loved one otherwise. 

The first one I ever drove was in Cyprus when having asked for a Vitara hire car we were given one as a stop gap for a single day and I nearly took it back after 200 yards when its refusal to keep to a straight line for more than a few yards at a time had me convinced there was something majorly wrong with it, it took a few minutes to realise all those stories about their hideousness on normal roads had been toned down. 

Must have been something wrong with it (prob kingpin), i've had two Jimnys. One with a 5" lift and full muds, not exactly great on tarmac but acceptable for what it was.The second was standard car fitted with all terrains  and was like any other cheap car to drive.I lived with mine 24/7 as wife used the other car and i had zero issues. If i wanted to drive it hard than i might complain about mpg, cornering,stopping and body roll, all of which it isn't built for.As far as fuel goes then that's a personal choice, if mpg worried me so much i wouldn't  consider any 4x4.The new Jimny as a second car (40 mpg combined) would be better for me any how as my daily drive only does 29 mpg. I don't think we will ever see a diesel introduced in the new line due to the  clampdown on emissions. Come to think of it the clampdown is already happening with diesel as some garages in the North are already charging 10p a ltr more than unleaded.Some even  as much as 15p a ltr so unless your doing megga miles then a diesel isn't viable.    

Edited by Davyo

18 minutes ago, Davyo said:

Must have been something wrong with it (prob kingpin), i've had two Jimnys. One with a 5" lift and full muds, not exactly great on tarmac but acceptable for what it was.The second was standard car fitted with all terrains  and was like any other cheap car to drive.I lived with mine 24/7 as wife used the other car and i had zero issues. If i wanted to drive it hard than i might complain about mpg, cornering,stopping and body roll, all of which it isn't built for.As far as fuel goes then that's a personal choice, if mpg worried me so much i wouldn't  consider any 4x4.The new Jimny as a second car (40 mpg combined) would be better for me any how as my daily drive only does 29 mpg. I don't think we will ever see a diesel introduced in the new line due to the  clampdown on emissions. Come to think of it the clampdown is already happening with diesel as some garages in the North are already charging 10p a ltr more than unleaded.Some even  as much as 15p a ltr so unless your doing megga miles then a diesel isn't viable.    

I don't think there was any mechanical issue with it, up until then I had only driven ordinary road cars and the Jimny was a good bit different, it simply wouldn't drive in a straight line without driver input but that's down to the type of car it is, a modern large 4x4 is often as luxurious and stable a drive as anything family oriented. In the end I did enjoy our brief stint but the Vitara was in a different league (on the road) at any rate. 

As for diesel V petrol and their associated co2 emissions 😏, we have been had for a very long time I'm afraid, it isn't the garages that decide what to charge but the government tariffs and those are decided according to the narratives and whims of the day, first they talked us into diesels because as you know they do more mpg, now they're talking us out of them because you know, harmful emissions 😏  what they conveniently forget to tell you is that the official figures for diesels co2 emissions are LOWER as can be seen by looking at the various V5's :yes:, reason is rather obvious really, because they cover more miles hence the fact the engine MAY be somewhat dirtier is easily offset by the amount of fuel saved. Even the Bentley Bentayga is now being offered in diesel as are every other luxury SUV (even sports cars such as the Porsche Panamera) for the foreseeable future. There's government spin and then there is reality and truth and car makers aren't foolish enough to think the customers don't know the difference. 

Suzuki will quickly fill the orders for the "natural" customer base of their new offering plus a fairly sizeable "conquest" percentage given that it has been widely well received as visually attractive and already dubbed the mini G. The only logical means of real market share growth is via new body and engine options, I'd be amazed if within five years we don't have a diesel variant.

1 hour ago, Kalahari said:

I've had two Jimnys and neither of them wouldn't go in a straight line. Your rental had probably been "kerbed" very hard or seriously lacked tyre pressure on one side.#

David.

This was back in 97 so the old shape by a good margin and every single reviewer always commented on how "interesting" the cars behaviour was on normal roads. 

ps. I think I've said this before but I once drove home from work in a V reg 3 door Rav4 taking roundabouts in me usual "fluid" manner thinking the scary knocking noise was a knackered exhaust, good job I had to stop for milk yards from home because that's when I realised one of the rear tyres was flat 😂  .

Edited by Hamster

10 minutes ago, old'un said:

Same as the old one, no room in the back, if it was 8 inches longer it would be much better, and maybe a bigger engine or turbo.

Thats what we need. Car looks good but needs to be bigger and made with thicker metal. 😊

Factor in Canada, US and Europe, the market is huuuuuuuggge. 

Year on year SUV's have consistently grown in market share across the brands, to not capitalise on such a beautifully presented and packaged car would be unforgivable. They will make a longer 5 door diesel, watch this space. 

How many of us buy a 4x4 as a everyday driver and seriously off-road them. 

The new Jimny should have been more road user friendly, a turbo can cut emissions and also increase its power. More daily driver friendly would mean more sales and even better reviews. I wouldn't want it bigger, not enough little off roaders around but loads of bigger ones.

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Yep UK Market for these niche products is small. We cannot even have the Fortuner here and I would imagine the demand for that would be significant.

Looked at getting a fortuner imported, to replace my SURF but when I got the duty’s and tax, it doubled the price

On 02/01/2019 at 19:30, Hamster said:

Factor in Canada, US and Europe, the market is huuuuuuuggge. 

Year on year SUV's have consistently grown in market share across the brands, to not capitalise on such a beautifully presented and packaged car would be unforgivable. They will make a longer 5 door diesel, watch this space. 

Suzuki are stopping selling cars in US! Strange but true! 

Finally got close to the new Jimny today.Stoneacre Durham have one in their showroom but none to test drive.I love this car from all angles. The quality is vastly improved from the old model.I've had the 2 previous models & this looks bigger on the outside & felt much bigger on the inside.I think the box shape has a lot to do with this as its as square on the inside as it is on the outside.Love the plastic floor space with the rear seats flat. Really is a tuff rugged looking car.I can see what they were thinking, 'build it practical for the Stables or Farm or a little fashionable Chelsea Tractor.Salesman said 75% of confirmed orders are previous owners who signed without even a Test drive.

I can seriously see these,unlike previous Jimny sales attracting people who will never go offroad.It just stands out and oozes character.Everbody doubted Suzuki's gamble to changing the Jimny because it simply didn't need it. Customers didnt want it,however the style will bring in a new type of customer.

Would i buy a new one? not @ 18k for the spec id want.Will i buy a used one ? yes if and when they come onto the market as x demo or low mileage used.

Whip it off to get a proper underseal job done and it would be a great car.

Edited by Davyo

On 29/12/2018 at 09:10, Hamster said:

👍 On the  money and I suspect they know that too.

When these things are launched they tend to come with safest marketing option and in this case 3 doors and a petrol engine means they can keep the headline price down and get thousands sold very quickly. BMW did the exact same thing  with the launch of the 3 door Mini One, in time hey kept adding to and expanding the range. 

If and when Suzuki make a six speed 1.6 hdi 5 door version (with the choice of automatics) it will sell like hot cakes and by then people will be used to the entry prices and will happily pay £3-£4k more for a more useful version. 

Aye right!

The Jimny has been here for almost 20 years and Suzuki has stuck to a small petrol in all that time. Everyone is out to kill off diesels currently... take note of the likes of Subaru saying they are dropping ALL diesel engines.

I would be VERY surprised if Suzuki offer a diesel at any point in the new Jimny.

8 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Aye right!

The Jimny has been here for almost 20 years and Suzuki has stuck to a small petrol in all that time. Everyone is out to kill off diesels currently... take note of the likes of Subaru saying they are dropping ALL diesel engines.

I would be VERY surprised if Suzuki offer a diesel at any point in the new Jimny.

The reason they didn't offer a diesel for the old one was because it was a toy like thing with a small market following so it didn't need it. Diesel engines emit less co2 per mile covered, if you don't believe me have a browse at a dozen or two V5's of different makes of cars with petrol/diesel engines of various sizes. It was much easier for manufacturers to produce a £0 or £20 tax per year diesel car with a reasonable size engine such as a 1500cc than it was petrol, for the latter they often had to use ones that were much smaller like sub 1000cc in order to get the same emission figures, this led to puny performance which doesn't matter on a city car but does on anything else.

Subaru is not a particularly important car maker, they have a tiny market share and have always been known as thirsty anyway, the bigger players haven't as yet dropped diesels, many are offering bigger brand new models with improved diesel ranges, BMW X7 and Mercedes 2019 G Wagon being just two examples.

I do agree that there are huge efforts afoot to try and move into hybrid and electric cars in the not too distant future but the money for the R&D is going to have to come from present day sales and nobody can ignore diesel for the time being. If you watch a half dozen New Jimny reviews on Youtube you will find that pretty much all of them mention the obvious need of the model for diesel and auto variants, the same reviewers would never have said the same thing about the old car because it simply did not have that potential, the new one does so unless Suzuki is in the car business for holistic rather than profit driven reasons then a diesel of some kind does make sense.