Which oil

steve d

I have recently done exactly the same, strangely enough with the same design wood too.  I researched wood chopping boards and was advised to use an oil designed for use with such boards that is harmless to humans. I bought the oil reasonably priced off fleabay. I am unable to tell you the brand name as my Grandaughter now has the oil, along with the boards. We just use the plastic variety.

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I just used boiled linseed oil.  You could easily turn those into end grain boards. Would be an interesting pattern.

Boiled linseed oil should not be used for items in contact with food. It is heated and treated with chemicals that are toxic to humans. Raw linseed is fine, it just takes ages to dry.

I use a wood conditioner on my spoons. I make it myself using coconut oil, beeswax and orange oil. It is completely food safe, smells lovely and is also good for your hands. It gives the wood a lovely smooth sheen.

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

.....I'm still here after handling linseed oil and boiled linseed oil for 70yrs.  As above be patient and let it throughly dry and soak in.

I've got this picture in my mind , of you waiting in the rain near to one of your squirrel feeders, and the rain running off you in beads 😆

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I've got this picture in my mind , of you waiting in the rain near to one of your squirrel feeders, and the rain running off you in beads 😆

You got it in one, but thanks to Mr Cabela's

1 hour ago, moondoggy said:

Boiled linseed oil should not be used for items in contact with food. It is heated and treated with chemicals that are toxic to humans. Raw linseed is fine, it just takes ages to dry.

I use a wood conditioner on my spoons. I make it myself using coconut oil, beeswax and orange oil. It is completely food safe, smells lovely and is also good for your hands. It gives the wood a lovely smooth sheen.

Sounds lovely .... but as said, I'm still here, alive and kicking.

a proper  butchers block is never oiled as beach has natural antibody's you can pour boiling water over it / dish washer  to lift the grain sand and repeat the process a few times until the grain does not lift and your good to go   or if you wish to seal use 50/50 polyurethane varnish and thinners to seal the grain sanding in between every cote on all surfaces allowing hardening time if you want an natural oil finish you can apply any cooking oil / vegetable  oil on top of the polyurethane sealer after sanding with the grain  / wire wool to give a natural finish and will last for years you can use a wire wool button to apply oil in a circular motion to  eliminate scratches   on a regularly basis on all surfaces then give it ten or fifteen minutes to dry then wipe off excess oil and you are good to go  

Edited by Saltings