Outfit ideas for shooting

chargriff

Hi everyone!

Just recently got into clay pigeon shooting thanks to a friend and thought that it would be interesting to join this community! I've been out shooting for several times now and noticed that almost everyone is wearing at least one item made from tweed. Would be interested to hear more about style etiquette and clothing recommendations for a beginner like me.

Thank you! 

Can't say I dress any differently when shooting clays to I would normally, shirt, jeans and a gillet to stick my carts in usually, possibly a cap depending on where I am. 

I know you can go down the whole branded gear, skeet jacket etc but I think it's more important to feel comfortable. 

Edited by Farmboy91

Usual casual BUT none restrictive clothing, a skeet vest or one of those dangly cartridge pouches. I use Rohan waterproof walking clothing when it is wet, but any golf or walking waterproofs will do nicely. The advantage of golf clothing is the design, it is made to not restrict arm movement, which makes it ideal for shooting. I wear my skeet vest over a waterproof in the rain, it soon dries when I get home. I usually use the mesh vest in the rain, it is lighter when wet that the cotton variety. Waterproof hiking boots usually are all you need, unless the ground is well chewed up by vehicles and other boots. If you need gloves, again look at winter golf gloves, they are sold in pairs and have all weather palms.

Tweed 😂

No mate you need to move.

Tweed has its place, and if its what those shooters are comfortable in, leave em to it. Looser the better. 

I go in what I wear every day, from shorts to t-shirts, hoodies and hunting garb. Only thing I'd say is, buy either a vest or a bag for carts. I made the mistake recently of wearing my wax jacket filled with 100 carts. I was nackered at the end. Dead arms. Surprisingly I thought I was fit cutting hedges and such for a living, but my shooting went to **** from the fatigue 

Thank you for all of your answers! It seems that comfort is the most important in this sport which is refreshing :). Was almost ready to buy all tweed 😂!

Also, never thought about golf apparel! It means my old golfing gear will be revived for a second life! And when it comes to boots, just ordered me this pair of boots, as was recommended by a friend - hope these will be suitable! -> https://equestrianco.com/products/rogue-rb2-light-trail-boot?variant=30391218697

What bag for carts would you recommend? 

it depends on the grounds, be it a clay ground ( anything goes as long as you have a hat, ear and eye protection) to an up market shooting school 

if its a normal clayground forget the tweed, be warm, dry and comfortable. Practice mounting your gun with the final upper layers on to check you can still shoot