Silicone socks cleaning gun ????

Royboy

Been a while since I posted on Pigeon watch,

Just moved into my new house and put my cabinet in my outbuilding,  seen as the outbuilding is cold ive got some of them socks for my guns,

now im not great at keeping my guns clean, just spray a bit of oil over them normally 🙈

but ive noticed since using these socks the ejectors are a lot cleaner than normal ! Is this possible ??

Edited by Royboy

I presume you mean 'ejectors' and unless you have cleaned them, I can not see a silicone sock doing the job. I use silicone socks on all of my guns and my cabinet is in the house. I use them for no other reason than protecting the guns whilst putting them in and out of the cabinet. Just a word of warning, a shooting friend moved house and put his cabinet in the basement. He was then unable to go shooting for several months (due to house commitments), but when he did get the guns out again, they were in a terrible state. All 3 will need re-blacking and the wood on 2 (one is a varnished finish) now needs a complete strip and re-oil. They were not in sleeves, but the intense cold and probable damp certainly did some damage. 

When I put my ammunition safe in the loft I got some of those silica gel beads that change colour when wet, the ones in the loft have never got wet but I then got some for my cabinet and to my surprise they need drying out about once a fortnight.

If any of you buy any and then get a second lot make sure you get the same colour, some of mine are blue when dry and the others are purple when wet so they look pretty much the same.

10 minutes ago, JRDS said:

Cant see your FEO buying off a cabinet in an outbuilding? 

Well he has 👍 

Just now, hod said:

Would also be surprised, without knowing full details mind you.  Have you informed them of where guns will be kept?

Yeah they came and checked about 1 month ago, not a problem, they loved the set up, 

Basically the outbuilding is to the side of the house, I’ve put a conservative roof over from house to outbuilding, and a composite door on each end and a composite door on the out building it’s self.

its perfect, The Mrs doesn’t go mental when I run through the house with my wellies on getting my gun ha

19 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

If said outbuilding is attached to the house (which it appears to be and not remote as a garage would be), then I cannot see what makes it different to any other room in the house.

OB

It is attached now I’ve joined the two buildings with a roof, Its a old airey house so there’s no solid walls in it, the out building is solid brick walls. 

A alarm wasn’t even mentioned but I am in the process of getting one because a friend of mine will fit it for free so I may as well 👍

11 minutes ago, GingerCat said:

Parents have got a very thin electric radiator type heater in a cold outhouse that sounds similar. It costs about 20p a day to run for the few hours (6 or 8 I think)  and keeps the chill off. Might be worth a look. 

I was thinking about a little heater but was worried about fire risk ?? So I never ended up doing it, 

my guns are in great condition in these socks though to be fair, 

Don't have expensive guns in damp storage, I'd go for cerakoted guns with synthetic stocks or use a heating mat in the cabinet. The type used in the bottom of vivariums very cheap and safe to run and won't warm the guns up to the point of drying out the wood.

9 minutes ago, figgy said:

Don't have expensive guns in damp storage, I'd go for cerakoted guns with synthetic stocks or use a heating mat in the cabinet. The type used in the bottom of vivariums very cheap and safe to run and won't warm the guns up to the point of drying out the wood.

There’s no damp in the room, I’ve boarded the room out and put insulation in the cavity, the guns are in great condition 👍

The damp will be in the air and when temps drop to below the dew point damp will happen just like it does outside. Keeping the cabinet above the dew point temp or the humidity in the air low is the key to safe storage. Buildings or rooms being cool isn't a problem  being cold can be. Silicon socks help a lot so do the VP90 products.

Edited by figgy