Ballistic Turrets

deputy dog

Hello all

I’ve not posted in here for quite a while, but feel at least a few people may give an heads up on some information I want.

I want a scope with ballistic turrets on and I’ve been mulling over the Swarovski scopes Z3-Z5 with the Ballistic turrets attached.

Ive watch a few vids on YouTube and it looks easy enough to set up etc. But what I want to know is? Are they any good I.e 

after you calculate all the information and dial in the recommend clicks on the elevation and lock them down. Do they give you exact 

zero at the distance dailed in on each of the rings. Or are they just an over priced extra gimmick etc. 

Any info greatfuly recieved 

Regards

Gareth. 

59 minutes ago, deputy dog said:

Hello all

I’ve not posted in here for quite a while, but feel at least a few people may give an heads up on some information I want.

I want a scope with ballistic turrets on and I’ve been mulling over the Swarovski scopes Z3-Z5 with the Ballistic turrets attached.

Ive watch a few vids on YouTube and it looks easy enough to set up etc. But what I want to know is? Are they any good I.e 

after you calculate all the information and dial in the recommend clicks on the elevation and lock them down. Do they give you exact 

zero at the distance dailed in on each of the rings. Or are they just an over priced extra gimmick etc. 

Any info greatfuly recieved 

Regards

Gareth. 

Gareth, they will give you a kill on say a 4 inch target for example, but they will not give you a centre on bull at all ranges from your min to max on the turrets. 

If for example you want one on a stalking rifle and you zero 3 ranges, 100-150-200-250 with 100 being your initial zero, you range find a Deer at say 175yds and turned your turret to the 200 mark it won't give you a dead centre hit on a 1/2 inch bull, but it will give you a heart shot Deer. 

All bullet weight, calibre sizes being a big factor of course.

31 minutes ago, Dougy said:

Gareth, they will give you a kill on say a 4 inch target for example, but they will not give you a centre on bull at all ranges from your min to max on the turrets. 

If for example you want one on a stalking rifle and you zero 3 ranges, 100-150-200-250 with 100 being your initial zero, you range find a Deer at say 175yds and turned your turret to the 200 mark it won't give you a dead centre hit on a 1/2 inch bull, but it will give you a heart shot Deer. 

All bullet weight, calibre sizes being a big factor of course.

Cheers Dougy, that was sort of what I was after info wise. Basically the bullet doesn’t hit the bull, but close enough in the kill zone area to get a clean kill. The video I watched on YouTube showed the Swarovski with Ballistic turrets on, hitting near bullseyes out to 300/ 400 meters. Now I’m no novice by any means shooting wise, but even I thought this was a bit iffy like. And I know how much sponsored shooters like to exaggerate true performance of a product when the money is right. So I thought I’d ask for feed back from ordinary field shooters to see if the results shown in promo vids run true to form or just a load of BS. By the looks it’s a little bit of fact and fiction combined. They do get you into the kill zone but don’t necessarily get you a near perfect bullseye as suggested in saud video. 

Thankd for your feed back bud bud much appreciated 

Gareth

9 minutes ago, Dougy said:

If you needed centre bull hits out to those ranges I'm fried you'd need a bit more than just a quick twiddle of a dial. 

I don’t need perfect zero bud lol as I’d be fried as well lol. I just wanted to know if they do actually get you in the kill zone with decent grouping. And I think getting into a 2/3 inch kill zone at 200/250 yards is acceptable for fox and deer alike. 

As said bud thanks for your response, much appreciated. 👍🏽👍🏽👍🏽

With respect, if your only shooting 200-250 yards . surly you would be better using a Mildot ret . You would save yourself a heap of money , after all with a 100 yard zero your only talking a couple of MOA either way . You might even consider a ballistic plex retical like the one below. 

https://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/ballistic-plex

just a thought . 

Edited by Creedmoor

Creedmore, 

You right,It's also faster to use than the BT turrets too but then it's not a swarovski. 

I bought swaro 1.7x10-42 BT For driven Boar and testing it out to 250 I was impressed with how good I'd set it up, and of course the was of use. Above all though the clarity and low light capability is one of the best and if it's Deer you've paid to stalk it's an expensive evening out if you can't see to shoot. 

54 minutes ago, Creedmoor said:

With respect, if your only shooting 200-250 yards . surly you would be better using a Mildot ret . You would save yourself a heap of money , after all with a 100 yard zero your only talking a couple of MOA either way . You might even consider a ballistic plex retical like the one below. 

https://www.burrisoptics.com/reticles/ballistic-plex

just a thought . 

Cheers for response bud and I appreciate where your coming from. I’ve nearly always used mil dot scopes whether on airgun, rim fire and centre fire alike. Most of my foxes have been taken under 150 yards with a few upto 200 yards. But as of late some foxes have become stubborn and stay out past 250 yards plus. And I would just like scope with good glass, ballistic turrets and not overly expensive. So that after a fair bit of practice, I will be able to dial in a preset zero and shoot out to those distances with confidence and accuracy and drop the foxes, I would normally leave alone. And thought the Swarovski scopes mentioned with said turrets attached would be good candidates for the job. 

Im a fairly good shot on any given day and I know my capabilities with the equipment I’ve got/ used. But I’m wanting to broaden my horizons and push the boundaries out a bit with my shooting. Even if it only means pushing some shots out to 300 yards on the odd occasion. It would be nice to have the right equipment and confidence to do so if needs be. 

Its wind that kills you at distance not drops.

Wind meters and a good ballistic app such as Strelock will also be needed and mastered,   but the ability to read wind direction is critical as it making allowance for hedges restricting wind velocity. 

On a high power scope with mill dots and 1FFP ret that first dot is 4MOA down,  thats 350 yards or so in many calibers.  In 2FFP its a guessing game depending on the mag setting.   If price is not an object have a look at the Swaro rangefinder scope, that handles the drops ok but not the drifts.

A

DD what calibre are you using for your foxing ? im assuming its a 22cf, The wind will certianly be the weak link, i dropped a clanger last night missing a Fox that sat out at 300 or 295, wouldnt shift, just sat and lay down straight on to me. It should have been an easy shot but the wind suprised me, i guessed a 4 mph and gave it 3 inches, took the shot and missed by a couple of inches to the left, that meant a 7mph wind. I was sheltered by bails at my firing point (silly mistake) 

At 3750 fps 50-55 grain and zero at 200 you wont be far off at all out to 300, now thats 22.250, but we dont know what your shooting, is it daylight or lamp? altering ballistic turrets whatever they are can be a nuisance in the dark and if you dont return to zero you will miss and then kick yourself. 

14 minutes ago, Grandalf said:

Evening,

Always thought that out to 250/300 yards Mildot is the way to hunt.   You haven't got the time or, often, the daylight to fiddle with turrets.   As previously stated the wind is the big factor. 

Hi Ben,

I assumed that the scope would be for stalking, but a little more info and i must agree. 

1 hour ago, Dougy said:

Creedmore, 

You right,It's also faster to use than the BT turrets too but then it's not a swarovski. 

I bought swaro 1.7x10-42 BT For driven Boar and testing it out to 250 I was impressed with how good I'd set it up, and of course the was of use. Above all though the clarity and low light capability is one of the best and if it's Deer you've paid to stalk it's an expensive evening out if you can't see to shoot. 

Yes I hear what your saying , I’m lucky enough to own 2 Swarovskis  and a PM11 , the reticule that I posted up was the first one google threw up . 

If the chap really does feel he wants to go down the swaro route  the BTR would be the route I think could be worth a look . 

Beautiful glass, and a very fast and easy on the eye Ret . 

http://BRT Reticle

if you don’t mind spending a few quid , the worlds your oyster. 

Edited by Creedmoor

5 minutes ago, Creedmoor said:

Yes I hear what your saying , I’m lucky enough to own 2 Swarovskis  and a PM11 , the reticule that I posted up was the first one google threw up . 

If the chap really does feel he wants to go down the swaro route  the BTR would be the route I think could be worth a look . 

Beautiful glass, and a very fast and easy on the eye Ret . 

http://BRT Reticle

if you don’t mind spending a few quid , the worlds your oyster. 

I don’t mind spending money out on quality glass, as I’ve had Zeiss scopes in the past. Not fussed on the reticles they use. I’ve looked at the BRT  reticle mentioned and yes it does look like something I could use, not to busy. 

I’ll be using it on a Mauser M12 Impact using .243 with Norma 75g v max or ammo of similar weight. Good consistent factory ammo not to expensive on the wallet per box. Never used lighter rounds as to preserve barrel wear by not using hotter rounds. 

I know about wind factor out at the distances mentioned in above posts. I’m by no means a novice when it comes to shooting and consider myself a decent shot on any given day. 

Ive used most types of mil dot rets on airguns or rim fires etc. I just thought I’d branch out and use a scope with ballistic turrets on a centre fire, so I can reach out a little further when needed. Some swear by them while others say Mil Dot are better. I’ve never used a ballistic turreted scope before and thought maybe it’s time to find out what their all about.The Swarovski ballistic turrets I’m looking at seem pretty easy to set up after your initial zero at 100 yards etc. Just feed the ballistic calculator the relevant  information to see how many clicks to zero at 150/200/250 yards etc and lock them in on the ring dials provided. 

2 minutes ago, Creedmoor said:

.243 with Norma 75g  

beautiful 👍

My Xbolt loved them and most of the other shooters I know who use them in their rifles, state how good they are for factory ammo. I used to pay £25/27 a box but their around £32 now. Looking at Mauser M12 impact with Stallon mod and Swarovski scope with ballistic turrets. It’s a  predominantly fox set up, though I will be looking at a few deer stalks in near future. Something I’ve not tried as of yet and would like to look into. 

1 hour ago, barbel said:

deputy dog, I was in the same position, I have a t3 lite, .308, got a gen 2 vortex viper, leica 1600b range finder, use the range finder tells the clicks, dial it in does what it says, a lot of land I have a shrewd idea but nice to check, and nice to see it work.

I’m fortunate to have a fair bit of land as well bud. Built up over many years of trust and word of mouth between neighboring farmers and land owners alike. Being mostly in mid Wales, it’s a mixed lot of land, comprised of mountainous, hilly terrain to open flat rolling fields. And a lot of mixed shooting to be had in all areas, which is never a bad thing. I will be getting a set of range finders even though I’ve a fairly good eye on the distances on the land itself. As said it’s always nice to check just to make sure. I just looked at the range finder you mentioned and it looks a nice bit of kit for not to much money. I’ll hope to be going to the shooting show at the NEC in February, so can look at a few items of interest up there. Sort of final decision making before shelling out my hard earned like. I’ve got a pretty good idea of the set up I want, but I may just see something else that may tickle my fancy. You know what it’s like bud,  do I go with this or that scenario. Spend half day thinking and then get what you originally wanted any way 🤣🤣🤣.

cheers for you reply mate much appreciated 

Gareth