Stick maker

Westley

Pity your a long way away.    Can I suggest you get an ash pitch fork stale as a replacement.  I can turn those down on my lathe if required but often from a farm supply outlet you can choose a diameter to suit.   I just drill up from the base about 5 inches and then melt some lead and pour it in, putting a piece of high tensile wire through about halfway to stop it working loose and dropping out.  This keeps the end on the deck.   You will have to be seriously strong to break one.

Thanks guys, it is the finding the bit of hazel that is the problem at present. I can put the staghorn handle on and I just wrapped a piece of sheet lead around the bottom of the stick, holding it on with that 'shrinkwrap' plastic tubing. I lost my thumbstick and had to resort to using my wading staff. However, when crossing a ditch/stream last Saturday, I broke the bottom 4" off. Now I am sure that you will agree that losing 4" makes an ell of a difference  !  I do have a very nice blackthorn thumb stick, but it could do with a small wheel on the end as carrying it is a real chore.

16 hours ago, Westley said:

Does anybody know of a stickmaker in South West Lancs or Merseyside area ?  I have just broken my wading staff and need the stick bit replacing.

Thanks Guys,

Westley.

I use one of those collapsible aluminium ones, £30 from the bay, Scierra is the make, used it for years. You could also wrap some lead sheet round bottom for extra weight.

Thanks guys, I have a couple of walking poles, one fixed and one telescopic. I had used the fixed one for a short time but had to wrap the end to stop the metallic clink on the stones of the river bed. I will use that in the interim period but would like to replace the hazel stick. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/12/2018 at 10:29, boo said:

If your down on the Wirral at some point , probably be able to put a new shank on for you......

Sorry, only just read your post and I thank you for your kind offer. I do get to the Wirral occasionally as I have a shooting/fishing Pal living near Ness gardens.