Help ! New pcp

biketestace

Hi everybody

I've been on this forum for a few years, but only I normally help or comment on topics such as shot gun cartridge reloading. Now I need your help, to do with the air gun world, mainly pcp target rifles. I am looking for a target pcp air rifle in .177 or .22 that will out-perform my average talents, for a few years to come. Please note, I don't like to buy things twice, so I'm quite prepared to spend the correct money on a target rifle and suitable scope. I've read and watched many social media-type videos regarding HFT and FT, but need your advice regarding which calibre, etc. is going to suit my needs, including shooting paper targets at a local club (up to a distance of 40yds). The rifle I have looked at so far is a BSA gold star but I don't have a clue what scope is suitable for the the above disciplines. Please note, I own a BSA scorpion single shot PCP rifle, which I use for the odd bit of vermin control. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BTA

Paul

Edited by biketestace
typo

In that case Steyr or Feinwerkbau would be some I would look at. Along with the FX Impact with the new X Twist barrel.

Have a watch of Ted's Holdover and Alex Dubber on you tube extreme bench rest and other videos they've made.

To be honest most modern PCP air rifles are a lot more accurate than we are.

Bit of luck the lads on here who were big into it will comment.

In the series I shoot HFT in you will find Steyr, ISP and Air Arms plus some others. Very few if any BSA that I can think of. 

I shoot an S400 MPR FT, it cost me £400 and out shoots me. You don't have to spend 2.5k on a new Steyr, or more 

Scopes? 

Top boys use Nightforce NSX, or Vortex Viper, at about £1500 and £900 respectively. Or whatever YOU get on with. Some use Viper 10x44 and you see many Viper Connects both the 24 and 32mm variants. (I use a 32 at 7x mag). 

Don't know much about FT but they use much higher mag scopes set on very high mounts. 

@figgy

Edited by Mr.C

already said,two top end rifles right there.steyr  seem to be at the top of there game on ft,hft is a different ball game most good quality pcps can be used for hft.look to spend at about 2k for the steyr,plus scope loads to choose from but i reakon 300 upwards for ft.obviously these prices are new.good forum for target shooters called shooting the breeze,go have a look.atb col

I think if i was gonna go hard down the is root again .id choose an fx streamline in .177 and fit an areon ? Ft Stock . You have all the adjustability u need and the accuracy of a st.barrel .

Dont shoot a bullpup of any sort you will be at a MASSIVE  disadvantage over a rifle due to the scope hight .

IMG_20181229_204137.jpg

Ps i used my comp ultra single shot in .177 with home adjusted stock in my last series that i won .

It happens to be the most accurate gun i own out to 50 yds 

And that includes all my facs and big cals. 

Dont under estimate a bsa .

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply, no your not alone as I'm not a fan of the skeletal stocks to look at but for the target shooting they're the best.

I like some of the FX airguns and the Steyr hunting five for a normal hunting style gun.

I have a Daystate Huntsman Classic great gun but wish it was regulated.

May have to upgrade to a FX as I like the changeability for barrel twisting lengths and calibers, you could buy a .177 gun and .22 & .25 bolts and barrel liners and change them out for whatever your doing. Better in FAC though.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎29‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 19:09, biketestace said:

Budget is not a issue, iv worked hard for this and would prefer not to scrimp 👍

Lucky man, because if you want to get a bit serious you will need deep pockets.

Good equipment gets you a long way, but will never win you anything top flight, for that you need as near perfect as possible, scope alone could easily exceed £2k.

ATB!

On 29/12/2018 at 20:22, team tractor said:

You need to be visiting solware in Tamworth. Big bill in there is an FT expert and has over 20 years experience. 

We have some awesome clubs like purley chase FTC . Oldest club in the country . 

Solware have the top guns you can find . 

Beat me to it TT. I second the guys at Solware, friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. They have certainly been honest with me. I purchased my second hand AA S200 from them and it is brilliant.  Not a million miles down the A38 and up the A5.  Awesome display of air rifles as well, I get a crick in my neck every time I go as they are almost hanging on the roof.

I Picked up a Air Arms HFT500 today at a very good price 👍😁

I will be going to the shooting show in Feb, armed with cash for a new scope....

I need accessories to, but what scope should it be ?

Budget for the scope is £400 and probs £200 for accessories..

Thanks for all your replies so far,

Paul

Quality rifle. 

HFT, small (40mm) objective lense and close to barrel, small mag often 10x though I use 7x, it closes down the aim points. 

FT, bigger mag (up to 50x), and up to 60mm objective. Scopes are also mounted high to bring longer range aim points closer together.

Edit

Someone once told me to spend your budget on a scope and the change on a gun. 

What will you be shooting? 

Edited by Mr.C

22 hours ago, Mr.C said:

Quality rifle. 

HFT, small (40mm) objective lense and close to barrel, small mag often 10x though I use 7x, it closes down the aim points. 

FT, bigger mag (up to 50x), and up to 60mm objective. Scopes are also mounted high to bring longer range aim points closer together.

Edit

Someone once told me to spend your budget on a scope and the change on a gun. 

What will you be shooting? 

For starters I will cut my teeth on paper targets, i then would like to think i will move onto hft.....

The scope is my most confusing purchase, iv watched youtube, read loads and im still not confident on what to buy !

Thank you for your reply

Paul

Cheers mice .yes ive shot a few series of hft .and i have my fave scopes which are ideal for hft and hunting .Everyone does things a little different. But for me i set my hunting /comp scopes up the same way .

First off every scope i have is a hawke.with a ballistic ret. (It works perfectly  with chairgun ) either a map 6 .an sr6. Or srpro. 

And i set the magnifications to work out in 5 yrd intervals from zero onwards ..

Your pellet ,scope height and power will determine which mag is best to use .But for hft 10x mag is about ideal .

So a good spec is a 3- 12 x and either a 40 or 44 mm objective lens. A 50 mm at a push .but the 50 can reduce depth of field. And push  your scope up into high mounts making the closer shots on targets harder to hit .

My hft rig is  a bsa ultra single .with a hawke sr6 3-12 x44 set in med mounts 1.5 inch above the bore. I zero it at 33 yrds on 10 x mag. I set the parrelax of the scope at 33 yds .this way when the image is crystal clear i know the target is 33 yds away and aim bang on .if its a touch blurry its either closer or further away than 33 yds and i need to apply either some holdover or under depending on how i read the blur(this is a very accurate way of range finding if done well )   .i shoot jsb exact  at 770 fps .

IMG_20170607_130048.jpg

Edited by Ultrastu

See how low the scope is to the barrel .with this 44 mm obvective this makes it 1.5 ich. .its pretty tricky to get it much lower on any gun /scope combination 

Lowest i ever had was1.3 inch  on a ratting gun .designed to take very close shots .average was about 6 yd..in hft the 8 - 12 ydrs are some of the hardest shots as the kills are very small .

1 series they were 8mm at 8 yds 

I used to practice on 6 mm kills down to 7 to hone the skills .

I think current hft has them only as low as 10 mm at 10 now. .

The series I shoot are 15mm kills at min 13yds, 20mm at 8 yds. 35mm out to 45yds.

I use an MTC Connect 3-12x32 zeroed at 25yds on 7x mag mounted as low as I can get it. No hold under and 12-36yds all within 1/2 a dot. 8yds on dot and a half and 45yds at just over a dot. 

Image is clear from 18-40yds

I know @Ultrastu will say you should use a 35yd zero but I just can't get my head around hold under.

I'd pop along to an hft club near you a talk to people. They'll be helpful and will let you look through their rigs. Everyone's eyes are different so I'm afraid that what works for them may not work for you. You just need to try a few and see what works for you. Trouble is you won't know till you try for a while. I'm on my 4th scope in 12 months. When you find one you'll then need to learn it. 

Good luck be be aware the hft is addictive. 

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

See how low the scope is to the barrel .with this 44 mm obvective this makes it 1.5 ich. .its pretty tricky to get it much lower on any gun /scope combination 

Lowest i ever had was1.3 inch  on a ratting gun .designed to take very close shots .average was about 6 yd..in hft the 8 - 12 ydrs are some of the hardest shots as the kills are very small .

1 series they were 8mm at 8 yds 

I used to practice on 6 mm kills down to 7 to hone the skills .

I think current hft has them only as low as 10 mm at 10 now. .

so 8mm at 8 yds? Does the pellet have to hit perfect or just clip it? Not something I've ever done.