biketestace

Help ! New pcp

Hi everybody

I've been on this forum for a few years, but only I normally help or comment on topics such as shot gun cartridge reloading. Now I need your help, to do with the air gun world, mainly pcp target rifles. I am looking for a target pcp air rifle in .177 or .22 that will out-perform my average talents, for a few years to come. Please note, I don't like to buy things twice, so I'm quite prepared to spend the correct money on a target rifle and suitable scope. I've read and watched many social media-type videos regarding HFT and FT, but need your advice regarding which calibre, etc. is going to suit my needs, including shooting paper targets at a local club (up to a distance of 40yds). The rifle I have looked at so far is a BSA gold star but I don't have a clue what scope is suitable for the the above disciplines. Please note, I own a BSA scorpion single shot PCP rifle, which I use for the odd bit of vermin control. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

BTA

Paul

Edited by biketestace
    typo

Right, budget? 

And BTW 177 for a flat trajectory. 

And HFT or FT, the rigs are a bit different. 

Edited by Mr.C

In that case Steyr or Feinwerkbau would be some I would look at. Along with the FX Impact with the new X Twist barrel.

Have a watch of Ted's Holdover and Alex Dubber on you tube extreme bench rest and other videos they've made.

To be honest most modern PCP air rifles are a lot more accurate than we are.

Bit of luck the lads on here who were big into it will comment.

In the series I shoot HFT in you will find Steyr, ISP and Air Arms plus some others. Very few if any BSA that I can think of. 

I shoot an S400 MPR FT, it cost me £400 and out shoots me. You don't have to spend 2.5k on a new Steyr, or more 

Scopes? 

Top boys use Nightforce NSX, or Vortex Viper, at about £1500 and £900 respectively. Or whatever YOU get on with. Some use Viper 10x44 and you see many Viper Connects both the 24 and 32mm variants. (I use a 32 at 7x mag). 

Don't know much about FT but they use much higher mag scopes set on very high mounts. 

@figgy

Edited by Mr.C

already said,two top end rifles right there.steyr  seem to be at the top of there game on ft,hft is a different ball game most good quality pcps can be used for hft.look to spend at about 2k for the steyr,plus scope loads to choose from but i reakon 300 upwards for ft.obviously these prices are new.good forum for target shooters called shooting the breeze,go have a look.atb col

You need to be visiting solware in Tamworth. Big bill in there is an FT expert and has over 20 years experience. 

We have some awesome clubs like purley chase FTC . Oldest club in the country . 

Solware have the top guns you can find . 

I think that I would want to compare one rifle against another, which would actually include shooting them. Go to the shop suggested above, especially as it would appear that the owner knows about the sport you wish to take up.

I think if i was gonna go hard down the is root again .id choose an fx streamline in .177 and fit an areon ? Ft Stock . You have all the adjustability u need and the accuracy of a st.barrel .

Dont shoot a bullpup of any sort you will be at a MASSIVE  disadvantage over a rifle due to the scope hight .

IMG_20181229_204137.jpg

Ps i used my comp ultra single shot in .177 with home adjusted stock in my last series that i won .

It happens to be the most accurate gun i own out to 50 yds 

And that includes all my facs and big cals. 

Dont under estimate a bsa .

Nowt yet figs, still tempted with the Goldstar and a pucker nice scope,

mainly because it still looks like a rifle and not a weapon stolen from batmans gun room 😀

Crikey im getting old 

Sorry for the late reply, no your not alone as I'm not a fan of the skeletal stocks to look at but for the target shooting they're the best.

I like some of the FX airguns and the Steyr hunting five for a normal hunting style gun.

I have a Daystate Huntsman Classic great gun but wish it was regulated.

May have to upgrade to a FX as I like the changeability for barrel twisting lengths and calibers, you could buy a .177 gun and .22 & .25 bolts and barrel liners and change them out for whatever your doing. Better in FAC though.