Browning 725 Hunter G3

daz181

Evening Gents

i’ve have just brought browning 725 hunter G3 and was out shooting with it for first time today and notice couple indents (doesn’t look like crack) both side of barrel.. both same size and both where forearm starts.

is this normal or is it defect with barrel?  

Should I take it back to the gun dealer..

Thanks in advance 

daz

09E6B063-CA67-4EB6-8B7E-49D4ACD5363D.jpeg

Edited by daz181
More info

Its the joint line where the shoulder on the barrel tubes meet the block. These barrels (725) are mono-block construction not chopper lump forgings and the manufacturing process is highly similar to the repair process used to reclaim worn/damaged barrels and refered to as `sleeving`.

Edited by JJsDad

1 minute ago, keeper96 said:

sales gimmick of pretty wood and fancy engraving 

Correct I am afraid. You dont get a lot of expert hand-finishing on mid grade guns. Beretta tend to disguise the joint with a ring of engraving but it is still quite visible on even the high cost examples.

daz181

Difficult question to answer without looking at the barrels in close up; but my initial reaction is to say, no it wont prove a problem in the future. It almost certainly will not fracture as the gun has passed proof which is considerably higher than the normal working pressure of any cartridge you are likely to use.

The only time I have seen a problem developing was on a newish Beretta where there was a measurable gap of a thou (0.001in) or so between the tubes and the monoblock after several wet days there was a rust coloured leeching of water and oil from the joint. This gradually got worse until there was a discloured brown ring around both barrels. After a lot of too,ing and fro,ing between the owner, the shop and Beretta UK; where despite the gun being sent back to Beretta the problem persisted. Finally when legal action was threatened by the gun`s owner, Beretta replaced the barrels. This is an extreme case, and I can see no evidence from your photo to suggest this is likely to happen on your gun.

If it gives you peace of mind, I would take it back to the shop and politely just register your concerns to them and see what they have to say. It might also give you chance to look at another gun of the same model to see if the perceived fault is common across all grades.

Edited by JJsDad