Woodcock

daisyrob1

We are seeing good numbers down here in Kent. Last year our numbers were way down and we brought in a rule in our syndicate that there would be no shooting of them until after 1 December, but then only to be shot if the Gun is prepared to take it home. This discourages the Gun who shoots them just for the sake of it but doesnt take them to eat.

The last 2 shoot days we have been seeing 20 to 30 a day out of 6 heavily wooded drives.

Saw one the day after Boxing Day in a small alley running between Fenchurch Street and Leadenhall Street slap bang in the middle of the City of London. Had a wing hanging down and couldn't fly but did a tremendous job of running away from me!! Left him with a very kindly lady who managed to get here hands on him and in a rather more Christmassy spirit than I, was going to take him to a rescue centre somewhere.

First of our little rough shoots on Saturday. 

Woodcock are increasing in numbers year after year here in Kent. Between 6 guns and a total of 3.5 hours-ish of being out, we put up around 15 or more birds. In total 4 were taken with me having one. 

Breasts were lovely diced up with scrambled eggs on toast 👍🏻 

We have always had a few around us I am finding them in different place's from normal. A few year's ago one local farmer had a RSPB bloke walk his land recording the bird's on his land, I asked how many woodcock he had seen only to be told that the RSPB bloke said I was mistaken as there are no woodcock on the land. After several attempts to correct him the only thing I could do was to take the gun and shoot one. I then delivered it to the farm and said show that to him and gave exact details from where it was shot.