Shooting related New Year's Resolutions?

Salop Matt

Pretty well to try and carry on from where I left off , with now being past the three score year and ten I find sitting down the marsh on a freezing night for a shot at a duck Isn't quite as appealing as it once was so I well might be heading towards my last season wild fowling season , although I have said that for the last couple of years and I will most likely be saying the same in a couple of years time  .............. Hopefully

1 hour ago, marsh man said:

Pretty well to try and carry on from where I left off , with now being past the three score year and ten I find sitting down the marsh on a freezing night for a shot at a duck Isn't quite as appealing as it once was so I well might be heading towards my last season wild fowling season , although I have said that for the last couple of years and I will most likely be saying the same in a couple of years time  .............. Hopefully

I thought you might get the 2-30 charabanc from Yarmouth to Skye for an evening flight before you get old MM..😉... My plans are doing what i can as often as i can 

9 minutes ago, islandgun said:

I thought you might get the 2-30 charabanc from Yarmouth to Skye for an evening flight before you get old MM..😉... My plans are doing what i can as often as i can 

I am not so sure my bus pass would get me up there before the season finish let alone the evening flight , might be worth having a go though :hmm:, one thing I do now once I reached the allocated age , is not to buy anything with more than a years guarantee on it , just in case I don't get the full use out of it ☺️

43 minutes ago, marsh man said:

I am not so sure my bus pass would get me up there before the season finish let alone the evening flight , might be worth having a go though :hmm:, one thing I do now once I reached the allocated age , is not to buy anything with more than a years guarantee on it , just in case I don't get the full use out of it ☺️

I'm with you on that MM. I'm often asked why I buy my cartridges by the slab and not by the thousand. Couldn't take any unused ones with me when I go as I understand that they are not too conducive to crematoria :no:

OB

13 hours ago, marsh man said:

Im not far behind you..  after ive made something, I find i increasingly think "well that should see me out"..😟

7 hours ago, islandgun said:

Im not far behind you..  after ive made something, I find i increasingly think "well that should see me out"..😟

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ....... just in case :lol:

Talking about age , we were beating today and on the wagon were three who were well over 70 with my brother who is 75 in March , just before Christmas on another shoot I go on I was talking to an old boy I have known for a good few years who have now turned 80 , he was telling me that was the third one he had been on that week and if he do the remaining ones of the season he would have done well over 50 days , not bad going and long may he continue .

We have two picker ups who are both around 80 and both of these blokes are fully booked up throughout the season .

So who is the oldest, or one of the oldest who beat or pick up regular on P W ??

I am leaving my current employment after 31 years and will be taking a few months off.

Over the last few years my game record stands around 500 crows p.a and 500-700 pigeons p.a.

I've set my goal as 1000 of each in the first 12 months of semi retirement.

I'll keep you posted-efforts will be commencing from early July.

f.

1 minute ago, Fuddster said:

I am leaving my current employment after 31 years and will be taking a few months off.

Over the last few years my game record stands around 500 crows p.a and 500-700 pigeons p.a.

I've set my goal as 1000 of each in the first 12 months of semi retirement.

I'll keep you posted-efforts will be commencing from early July.

f.

Good luck. I believe that you will achieve both targets.

1 minute ago, JDog said:

Good luck. I believe that you will achieve both targets.

+1

On ‎03‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 02:18, steve_b_wales said:

To get out more. I've had a poor 2018 through work,family,holidays,illness and weather. I intend to make up for it this year.👍

Yep very much the same here. Good riddance 2018, back to the pigeons this year!

17 hours ago, marsh man said:

Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ....... just in case 

Talking about age , we were beating today and on the wagon were three who were well over 70 with my brother who is 75 in March , just before Christmas on another shoot I go on I was talking to an old boy I have known for a good few years who have now turned 80 , he was telling me that was the third one he had been on that week and if he do the remaining ones of the season he would have done well over 50 days , not bad going and long may he continue .

We have two picker ups who are both around 80 and both of these blokes are fully booked up throughout the season .

So who is the oldest, or one of the oldest who beat or pick up regular on P W ??

Im loving the sound of 80 yr olds out in the field..that would be a really positive goal.. I heard a quote yesterday i liked "Time is precious, dont waste it"

5 hours ago, islandgun said:

Im loving the sound of 80 yr olds out in the field..that would be a really positive goal.. I heard a quote yesterday i liked "Time is precious, dont waste it"

That is certainly true islandgun , more so when your so called better days are behind you , although looking on the positive side , when we go out we think our better days are yet to come .

Going one better than the 80 year old beater , we used to have a retired police inspector who was very good at trialing dogs ( Labs ) who used to come picking up well into his 80s , he then wrote a book on his life as a policeman and his enjoyment he got out of his dogs and trialing , by then he had cut down on his shooting but still liked a little bit of roost shooting , the keeper used to let him go in the wood behind his cottage so he could keep an eye on him , this carried on till he nearly reached 90 and then he called it a day due to standing about in the cold , as far as I know he reached 101 before his time finally ran out .