More wildlife in the town than country.

ratchers

The bits of undevoloped land, railway sidings, docks etc were full of wildlife in the city where I lived, certainly far more than in the arable fields in the countryside a few miles away. Nesting skylarks, meadow pipits, reed buntings, spotted flycatchers, redpolls were very common, especially the ground nesters, even grey partrdiges did well if the bits of green where big enough. (IMO entirely due to no agri spays..the vegetation was alive with insects). All changed in the last thirty years, most of that 'waste' land is now housing or tin shed retail parks, and there are now too many carrion crows and foxes for ground nesting birds to survive. 

Edited by scolopax

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

If by accident a grey was caught then it has to be dispatched... You are not allowed to release. 

i know the laws,but what you saying was to catch them by "accident" against the landowners wishes,if landowner finds out then expect to lose your permission!,

4 hours ago, andrewluke said:

i know the laws,but what you saying was to catch them by "accident" against the landowners wishes,if landowner finds out then expect to lose your permission!,

If they are baiting traps surely either rat or a squirrel will go in them. Maybe o should of put :lol: at the end of my original post. 

House behind ours has about 15 bird feeders and its own flock of dropping ,fighting ,noisy blooming pigeons that devastate all the gardens but the cabbages wont listen to reason and keep doing it.Obviously the flying rats are loving it and are safe as houses apart from the odd cat victim .

Frustrating watching all this shannigans without being able to do anything about it

I work on a rural site that is totally fenced off and about 200acres total and has been since before ww2. There’s a huge number of carrion crow and magpies, a few foxes and buzzards ,badger, lots of squirrels and some muntjac. Very few songbirds here. No pest control is carried out and you can tell. All you can here on a still day is the cawww of crows not too far away 

On 31/12/2018 at 08:43, Zetter said:

Its the woodpigeons and magpies that get me round here. When I walk the dog you can get within about 6ft of them (same goes for a lot of grey squirrels) but out on my permissions any view of you and they are heading for the hills.

So true.

Soon as a corvid spots my camo jacket from across the fields its squawking "gun"  "gun"

The missus was out having a Christmas drink with workmates and I went to pick her up outside Weatherspoons, about midnight.

When I pulled up, to my amazement,  there was a fox sat down on the opposite pavement.

A couple of smokers came out and stood next to the pub doorway lobbing bits of scraps across to it.

The fox snaffled the food and sat down again.

The smokers went back inside and the fox disappeared under a bush.

Told the missus what I'd seen, expecting outright disbelief and she said she'd been called out earlier to see it.

Astonishing !

Edited by Robertt