Asking for shooting on first post

bruno22rf

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, bruno22rf said:

I reckon it's about time that new members were prevented from asking for shooting on their first post - IMHO it's rude and a waste of time  apart from being extremely unlikely to result in any permission - anyone agree or am I just being grumpy.

10 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Let them get on with it, it will probably be their only post anyway!

Two very valid posts.

3 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

am I just being grumpy.

No, you are not being grumpy. My pet niggle, is the ones who want to meet up and `help` me out with vermin control on MY PERMISSION. I used to try offering a bit of advice, but invariably they never respond or say thanks; so nowadays I just move on. The worlds full to the brim with freeloaders; all with their hands out wanting something or another for free, but no energy or drive to get off their rear-end to do anything about it.

Edited by JJsDad

Agreed. As mentioned landowners don’t use the forum unless they are shooters themselves, and if so unlikely they’ll want others. Land is simply not provided that way. Why not do what SD do for sales and bar people from shooting wanted posts until they have posted at least 30 times?

48 minutes ago, Tford said:

Agreed. As mentioned landowners don’t use the forum unless they are shooters themselves, and if so unlikely they’ll want others. Land is simply not provided that way. Why not do what SD do for sales and bar people from shooting wanted posts until they have posted at least 30 times?

This Forum used to but it was relaxed some while ago.

Its easier when you are this side of the fence and maybe have all of the land you need, but as a new shooter / wannabe it's not so easy. They may simply not realise what they are asking for as they have no experience. They see the forum and think that must be a good place to start, lots of shooting going on and put up a post. I  like the approach on SD forum for posting items for sale but equally you want the forum to be a good place to come to buy stuff even if you do not post. 

With the greatest respect oowee I get your point but would you buy an item from a members first post? This is PW and not Ebay so the point surely is an open (ish) forum for like minded people to discuss their sport - if you want to buy shooting related items there are many, many websites that advertise them. It could also be true that, if a "newbie" has not done enough groundwork to realise how difficult gaining permission is, maybe they have not really appreciated other aspects of the game (such as safety). I have no problem with people asking for permission per se but on a first post is counter productive - first it is very unlikely to be successful  and secondly it shows their lack of understanding of the sport.

Edited by bruno22rf

I guess what happens is , they read somewhere - magazine , forum , face ache etc that the best way to get permission is to put your self about .door knocking , friends , work colleagues, join a shooting forum  etc .so they do just that .the easy one thats possible without leaving the room .

I still say the best way to gain ground to shoot on is to get involved with beating. If you can be bothered to travel to shoot then surely you can be bothered to do the same to beat. 

Admittedly landowners I know do get approached now and then, and sometimes it works, but it isn’t common. 

12 minutes ago, Scully said:

I still say the best way to gain ground to shoot on is to get involved with beating. If you can be bothered to travel to shoot then surely you can be bothered to do the same to beat. 

Admittedly landowners I know do get approached now and then, and sometimes it works, but it isn’t common. 

Couldn't agree more, I beat on 4 small shoots and all have given me access to some shooting.

Last week alone I got offered some shooting with the air rifle, a small wood shooting  squirrels and some farm buildings shooting rats.

Putting yourself about beating and helping out with a bit feeding is definitely the way to go.

Edited by toontastic

I have often commented on new members asking for different types of shooting on there first posts , for some of them that first post is the only one we see , rather than ask for shooting it would be more polite if they asked the best way to gain the first step on the shooting ladder .

I have mentioned beating and joining up to there nearest wildfowling club as most clubs have several different sections apart from wild fowling , like gun dog training , clay shooting and access to pigeon shooting .

It also amazes me that when a kind member offers a day pigeon shooting it is either to far or the wrong day , if i wanted a days shooting I would make sure I would do everything in my power to secure the day , doors often open in the shooting world and its up to you if you want to put yourself out and go through them .

While im on here, do any of you have any free stalking, I have muntjac on my land so dont bother please if thats all you have to offer. 

Fallow and Reds please preferable but if you have Sika i will think about it. 

Thanks in advance

dougy

PS

You can have a couple of burgers if i have any left over

Edited by Dougy

2 hours ago, marsh man said:

I have often commented on new members asking for different types of shooting on there first posts , for some of them that first post is the only one we see , rather than ask for shooting it would be more polite if they asked the best way to gain the first step on the shooting ladder .

I have mentioned beating and joining up to there nearest wildfowling club as most clubs have several different sections apart from wild fowling , like gun dog training , clay shooting and access to pigeon shooting .

It also amazes me that when a kind member offers a day pigeon shooting it is either to far or the wrong day , if i wanted a days shooting I would make sure I would do everything in my power to secure the day , doors often open in the shooting world and its up to you if you want to put yourself out and go through them .

Spot on advice with the beating MM

I have picked up a good few bits of shooting over the years from beating and it has many times opened doors both short and long term. Myself and another PW contributor regularly travel to a shoot to beat and it is a 140 mile round trip approx for the both of us but we come from different directions and can sometimes take up to four hours travel a day. I can get beating closer to home but it gets you a odd day pigeon shooting and is great company and wonderful just getting out. 

If my days off allow around my hectic shift work I will get out and travel.

atb

7diaw

59 minutes ago, Dougy said:

While im on here, do any of you have any free stalking, I have muntjac on my land so dont bother please if thats all you have to offer. 

Fallow and Reds please preferable but if you have Sika i will think about it. 

Thanks in advance

dougy

PS

You can have a couple of burgers if i have any left over

Dougy,

You are more than welcome to come and shoot a few Red's on my land.

The only stipulation I would make is that you can only do so on the 30th of February.

Oh, and I prefer sausages 

Just now, CharlieT said:

Dougy,

You are more than welcome to come and shoot a few Red's on my land.

The only stipulation I would make is that you can only do so on the 30th of February.

Oh, and I prefer sausages 

Sorry I dont do sausages, but thanks for the offer. 

It might be a bit clumsy to go straight in with an ask but like a lot of mildly annoying things in life it can be ignored easily enough.

We used to have a minimum post count but then all we got was people with nothing better to do questioning the validity of those posts.  We also had a period with a little clique who would try to shove new members around whatever they posted, leading to a lot not coming back, so we just did away with it and instead ask everyone to just act like grown ups.