New to shotshell reloading. (12g)

Hi lads šŸ‘šŸ‘

so here goes Iā€™m notĀ new to shooting but very new to reloading!Ā 

so I woke up on 25th toĀ find that Santa (my wife says heā€™s not real but I donā€™t believeļ»æļ»æĀ her!! )Ā had got me a brand new shinyĀ boxed ā€œlee loadall 2!ā€

(not the best I no before you all jump in but itā€™sĀ a starting point )Ā 

At the minute me and her only shoot clays but in the process of tryingĀ to get some permision .Ā 

I just lookingĀ for some advice with the whole reloading game ...... basically weā€™re do I start!

Is there a book I can buy ?.

I have looked on clay and game and at a few online shops that sell reloading materials but real world scenario surely IdĀ beĀ best off to buy a slab of some decentĀ cartridges...(12g)

shoot them .. save the cartridges and reload them ? ?

But how do I no without asking you lot which ones they are ?Ā 

I literally no nothing about this but Iā€™m veryĀ particular with things and I am aĀ extremely fast learner.Ā ļ»æ

I have looked at buying new primed Ā cases but it will cost about Ā£29 before delivery for 300x ? So clearly notĀ worth going down that route ?!

any info youĀ could give me on the best items /braļ»ænds or were about to buy them fromĀ would be greatly appreciated.Ā 

ThanksĀ in advance !

SS

(going claying tommorow so if I new which cartridges and specifically why thoseĀ are good to reload I might go skip diving while Iā€™m there )Ā šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Ā 

Ā 
Edited by secret-squirrel

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the ClayĀ groundĀ allow it? Collect plastic bags full of cases,Ā as many as you can get (only dry ones though!) sort them by brandĀ when you get home, they will have only been fired once so they should be fine!...but discard any that are damaged, rustyĀ orĀ gotten wet! That is a good starting point! When you identify the type of case you have, appropriate to theĀ formulaĀ you want to load,Ā buy primers powder and wads as per the chosen formula....the first step after visual inspection is,Ā using the Lee Loadall to pressĀ the firedĀ primer out, and press in the new one, the cartridge case will be resizedĀ with the sizing ring during the deprime and reprime exercise,Ā select Ā and install the powder bushing that drops the correct weight of powder stipulated, and install the bushing appropriate to the weight of shot stipulated....you are ready to go!

You will need a means of checking the powder "drop" every so often, to ensure accurate weight of powder drop....IĀ suggest buyingĀ a balance beam scale for that purpose!

Edited by panoma1

45 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

If the ClayĀ groundĀ allow it? Collect plastic bags full of cases,Ā as many as you can get (only dry ones though!) sort them by brandĀ when you get home, they will have only been fired once so they should be fine!...but discard any that are damaged, rustyĀ orĀ gotten wet! That is a good starting point! When you identify the type of case you have, appropriate to theĀ formulaĀ you want to load,Ā buy primers powder and wads as per the chosen formula....the first step after visual inspection is,Ā using the Lee Loadall to pressĀ the firedĀ primer out, and press in the new one, the cartridge case will be resizedĀ with the sizing ring during the deprime and reprime exercise,Ā select Ā and install the powder bushing that drops the correct weight of powder stipulated, and install the bushing appropriate to the weight of shot stipulated....you are ready to go!

You will need a means of checking the powder "drop" every so often, to ensure accurate weight of powder drop....IĀ suggest buyingĀ a balance beam scale for that purpose!

Perfect ! I will see what the ground says tommorow and go from there ....Ā 

ā€œchosen formula ā€œ see thatā€™s the bitĀ Iā€™m struggling with ... mises will be shooting 21g 7.5 or 8ā€™s ...Ā Iā€™ll shoot anything ..So letā€™s run with 21gĀ 

were do I get the formulas from ? Or is this the part I have to ring a shop up for?

I have watched enough videos on the lee loadall to know how it all works now (I think)Ā 

mans I also have a set of 0.00 scales from when I used to fable with scrap gold so thatā€™s that not sorted .Ā 

Thanks for the reply !!

SS

Ā 

17 minutes ago, biketestace said:

If you fancy a trip to Burton i will help....

Paul

Ā 

That's a great offer....take him up on it!........Oh!........Ā And Clay and Game reloaders will sell you a suitableĀ data sheet, for a quid or so! Delivered by email I think!

google "Clay and Game Data sheets" and choose by powder what you want to load....maybe vectan AS?

Edited by panoma1

You can get data for loads from the powder manufacturers websites. Sure you will get some decent recipes from the helpful folk on here.

Loading 28g you won't save much if anything but the 21g could be interesting for you as you can load up some small shot like 9 or smaller to get great pattern density and should save a bit of money too.

Hawkeye and magman357 have a good recipe for clay loads and it don't use much powder. I've shot a few of them and they work fine, when they put primers in šŸ˜‰

53 minutes ago, panoma1 said:

That's a great offer....take him up on it!........Oh!........Ā And Clay and Game reloaders will sell you a suitableĀ data sheet, for a quid or so! Delivered by email I think!

google "Clay and Game Data sheets" and choose by powder what you want to load....maybe vectan AS?

How do I no which powder to choose šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚ .Ā 

I Am going to message Paul and see if we can arrange something šŸ‘

Thanks SNOOZER !!

15 minutes ago, figgy said:

You can get data for loads from the powder manufacturers websites. Sure you will get some decent recipes from the helpful folk on here.

Loading 28g you won't save much if anything but the 21g could be interesting for you as you can load up some small shot like 9 or smaller to get great pattern density and should save a bit of money too.

Hawkeye and magman357 have a good recipe for clay loads and it don't use much powder. I've shot a few of them and they work fine, when they put primers in šŸ˜‰

I no it sounds daft but I mm not that bothered about saving mega money or even any money really at the minute would just like to do it now I have been brought the main part of the operation . Donā€™t get me wrong 2000 cartridges in and I might be thinking different .

yea thatā€™s why I was thinking 21g because every 3 cartridges loaded you get an extra sortov FreeĀ šŸ˜‚

well šŸ¤žšŸ¤ž one of those guys stumble on to this thread and lend a helpful message šŸ‘šŸ¤ž

thanks lads !Ā 

SS

I second what figgy just said, a spinner is well worth the money it puts a good finish on the crimp.Ā  A bench drill stand is easiest but doesn't have to be a posh one. One with a drill mounted will work fine. I load all my 410s now and even after putting real nice crimps, the 'nose' of the cartridge is still a bit tight to go in the chamber and the spinner has solved that completely and a big help with 410s which are just that bit trickier to drop in the chamber than 12s or even 20s but even for your 12s it will just finish the job nicely.

Two important things ...don't rush the job and do it alone with no outside interference and that way you shouldn't make a mistake.

on edit....be ruthless in chucking any shells which have slight cracks or are not perfect, do this after you have de primed before priming.

Ā 

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I second what figgy just said, a spinner is well worth the money it puts a good finish on the crimp.Ā  A bench drill stand is easiest but doesn't have to be a posh one. One with a drill mounted will work fine. I load all my 410s now and even after putting real nice crimps, the 'nose' of the cartridge is still a bit tight to go in the chamber and the spinner has solved that completely and a big help with 410s which are just that bit trickier to drop in the chamber than 12s or even 20s but even for your 12s it will just finish the job nicely.

Two important things ...don't rush the job and do it alone with no outside interference and that way you shouldn't make a mistake.

on edit....be ruthless in chucking any shells which have slight cracks or are not perfect, do this after you have de primed before priming.

Ā 

Cheers šŸ‘šŸ‘

I will have a look into a spinner . But maybe for now see how it is with the loadalls internal crimp just to see how it is before I commit .

so there is no tell tale sign of a good brand or certain style of cartridge to look for tommorow?Ā 

šŸ‘

we will see I have pmā€™d him earlier

1 hour ago, biketestace said:

PM replied to.

Pick up empties made by Hull or RC, steer clear of Express.....

Make sure they are 70mm ( its printed on the case)

Paul

Certainly Hull cases appear to be good ones.Ā  RC 410s I have found less soĀ Ā  BUT as with many things the proof of the pudding etc.,Ā  Try and use the same make/style cases, simple as that.

Ā 

10 hours ago, biketestace said:

PM replied to.

Pick up empties made by Hull or RC, steer clear of Express.....

Make sure they are 70mm ( its printed on the case)

Paul

Thanks for all the replies people really appreciate it !!

well what can I sayĀ Not longĀ got back from ā€œeast midsĀ clay groundā€ at Sawley andĀ it was a great morning for all.

We got there late (standard ifĀ the mises is involved) Ā about 11.30 soĀ hardly any one there !Ā 

Spoke to the bloke in charge he instantly offered me a tonne bag of old cartridgesĀ šŸ˜‚

told him I was under strict instructions to get clean ,dry and certain makes he told me to fill my boots it would be doingĀ him a favour!

After we finished i rummaged threw a few stands buckets and cameĀ Ā away with maybe 200 or so of the best looking ones so letā€™s see if I did wellĀ : Ā  All 70mm Ā and 6 star crimpĀ 

* Hull super fast (blue case )

* RC , rc2 sporting (blue again)

*Hull sovereign Ā (red case)Ā 

* Gamebore velocity+ Ā (Silver case )

*winchester solver Ā  (Silver case )Ā Ā 

Fingers crossed my first haul was a good one .i guess I Just need to go through them and make sure thereā€™s no duds in there now.

cheers SS

1 hour ago, Ttfjlc said:

Just want to say that looks strangely beautiful in an OCD type wayĀ :lol::good:

Not sure when the mises walked in that was her firstĀ thought šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚šŸ™ˆ

I have justĀ been on clay and game website to try and price up the bitsĀ 

This is what I have come up with :Ā 

Ā 

(this is all just guessing and all roughly on the bits that looked right on there website not the actual stuff Iā€™m going to use or buy just a rough guide to myself ))Ā 

655624D9-7646-45B3-9E96-185F0BDD8355.png