New to shotshell reloading. (12g)

Pity you cannot make or have made a ring to fit in the primer station just the depth you need to push those high brass off. Looks like you only need about 1/8th inch. It may mean you have to do two operations, prime, lift out,  insert depth ring and then push the resizer off.  The Lee Load All is an American machine and I cannot see the Americans not reloading high brass.

I would have a look around for a suitable sized piece of pipe and cut and 1/8th inch piece off.  Worth a try.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

51 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Pity you cannot make or have made a ring to fit in the primer station just the depth you need to push those high brass off. Looks like you only need about 1/8th inch. It may mean you have to do two operations, prime, lift out,  insert depth ring and then push the resizer off.  The Lee Load All is an American machine and I cannot see the Americans not reloading high brass.

I would have a look around for a suitable sized piece of pipe and cut and 1/8th inch piece off.  Worth a try.

It’s a shame they don’t work it seems other than the RC cartridges the Winchester have the best “crimp memory “ .  Iv been doing a few here and there tonight and have just got through the last of the de priming . I will have another look at the Winchester’s now and see if I can fathom something out 

SS

So this is the reason it doesn’t work on “high brass” it doesn’t decompress the cartridge down enough before the bottom of the cartridge hits this silver pin that seats the primer ... I guess the only way round this would be to cut maybe 3 mm off this ? ... me personally I won’t be doing this but a engineer could knock a slightly shorted on of these up in a few minutes then I think that would be problem solved as the cartridge would depress further =. “ resizing ring” pops off 👍😃??    **** that’s my theory.  anyway 

60833964-CD11-4581-A65D-F468F1A601ED.jpeg

image.jpg

Edited by secret-squirrel

I started with a mec 9000 progressive 2 years later splashed out and bought a ponsness warren 800 best move i could have made..

we make all our own shot most of the time get the lead free from a mate who has his own roofing business ..

So easy to knock out a 100 cart's in about 20 minutes then a quick wiz in the drill to round the ends off and make them easier  to use in the semi auto if needed...

If you had been a bit closer you would be welcome to see the PW in action..

Edited by hawkeye

Had a use of a Ponsness Warren 375 back in the 70s when I was shooting a LOT of shells every month with the force clay team. A Rolls Royce of reloaders for sure.

Saved a lot of pennies on practise rounds. It was owned by the Force Sports Club and we had it set up in a small unused room in one of our outlying stations.

Not a huge job to turn one of those bits up on the lathe, I'm only down 5 mins from Jnc 11 A444/A42/M42 if you fancy a run out one morning.  Still think a 'ring' would do the same job.

Could try both.

I also started reloading in the seventies with a 12 gauge Lee Loadall, then due to the cost of reloading overtaking the cost of factory shells, I stopped reloading for a few years......I then bought a MEC progressive machine which I never got on with, when non tox shot became mandatory for fowling I bought a single stage MEC Steelmaster...had that for a while, but moved on to a P&W 375.....a superb bit of kit, with the correct bits will resize any depth of brass, load any type of shot in any length of case, and taper the crimp, the finished shell is as near factory as you will get....a Gaep spinner, though not really neccesary, finishes the job! Perfect!

I'm sure the "peg" pictured above, was fixed in the primer station on the Lee Loadall I had?

Edited by panoma1

1 hour ago, biketestace said:

Who gives a rats *** what reloader we all own !

The lad has a lee loadall, a Very capable machine indeed, so how about we all try and get behind him and cover basic operations needed to get him on his way ?

Paul

That has already been covered?...........combined with the instructions provided with the machine and the advice given in this thread, once the OP has acquired the recipe and relevant components he should be able to start reloading!

Some might not give a rats **** but others may be interested? Or you have been appointed to speak for everyone? 

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Had a use of a Ponsness Warren 375 back in the 70s when I was shooting a LOT of shells every month with the force clay team. A Rolls Royce of reloaders for sure.

Saved a lot of pennies on practise rounds. It was owned by the Force Sports Club and we had it set up in a small unused room in one of our outlying stations.

Not a huge job to turn one of those bits up on the lathe, I'm only down 5 mins from Jnc 11 A444/A42/M42 if you fancy a run out one morning.  Still think a 'ring' would do the same job.

Could try both.

I used to go greenlaning around Ashby and around old old quarry I think is it near farmtown? 

I might take you up on that offer one day 👍

2 hours ago, biketestace said:

Who gives a rats *** what reloader we all own !

The lad has a lee loadall, a Very capable machine indeed, so how about we all try and get behind him and cover basic operations needed to get him on his way ?

Paul

I’m feeling pretty confident about it all now just need to keep picking up empties and more important  find the time to meet up watch how it’s done then get a shopping list and buy the rest of the ingredients 👍

cheers Ss

I started with a Load all then bought another, I sold one and bought a MEC 500Jr. I still prefer the load all. The one I have is for 67mm shells but loads 70mm superbly. My advice is to cut 2mm off the final crimp tube so it crimps a little deeper. Also cut off the 8 point crimp starter tube which is at the front, it gets in the way. Also if you always ensure the line of the old crimp is directly facing you when you start the crimp them you will get a much better crimp.

Definitely use FES for your components unless you are lucky enough to have a RFD locally who stocks them. I have as there is several people in my area who reload so he stocks the basics. He is cheaper on powder and primers but a little dearer on wads so i use FES for those.

If you are looking to load 28 gram then use CSB5, my recipe is

70mm Case, Fiocchi 615 primer, 23 grains CSB5, 4mm over powder card, 21mm fibre wad, 28 grams lead shot (6 for game and 7.5's for clays) 6 point crimp closure. It works well for everything I shoot except wildfowl

10 hours ago, panoma1 said:

That has already been covered?...........combined with the instructions provided with the machine and the advice given in this thread, once the OP has acquired the recipe and relevant components he should be able to start reloading!

Some might not give a rats **** but others may be interested? Or you have been appointed to speak for everyone? 

Not at all !

But surely a new discussion should be started regarding who owns what, and the benefits of each machine ?

Some of the more exotic brands are complicated to set up etc but the Lee is a great starting point to gain the confidence needed.

When you have just received a new reloader as a Christmas gift, the last thing anybody wants to hear is how brilliant all the others are !

My point is we all help him onwards and upwards with the Lee, and if in the future he wants to change then the new discussion will be to his ( and others ) benefit.

Im really disappointed to read your quote regarding me speaking for everyone, 

Happy new year

Paul

42 minutes ago, biketestace said:

Not at all !

But surely a new discussion should be started regarding who owns what, and the benefits of each machine ?

Some of the more exotic brands are complicated to set up etc but the Lee is a great starting point to gain the confidence needed.

When you have just received a new reloader as a Christmas gift, the last thing anybody wants to hear is how brilliant all the others are !

My point is we all help him onwards and upwards with the Lee, and if in the future he wants to change then the new discussion will be to his ( and others ) benefit.

Im really disappointed to read your quote regarding me speaking for everyone, 

Happy new year

Paul

I'm sorry you felt disappointed, but my reply was in response to your comment "who gives a rats ***" about something others, including myself posted! Which I found a little insulting! I thought the purpose of these fora was, amongst other purposes, to pass on information and experience? After posting what I thought were helpful comments to the OP's initial request for help, I posted my own experience of reloading and how my interest over many years, and whatever expertise I may have developed over the years (including my opinion of various machines) reached the point it is now......it may be that you are not interested, but equally, there may be the odd one or two that are? Lol!

Happy new year to you too!

Paul.

I have a leeloadall 2 I think it works brilliantly for the money and is best on once fired carts. I bought a bench drill and a OMV mini press from Italy. I use the load all for everything upto the crimp then I move to the OMV to crimp and spin the new cartridge cases. The once fired I do the crimp on the load all and just spin them to increase the taper for cycling in the auto.

It takes longer to use  Lee Loadall than progressive machines but costs a fraction and is easy to store on a shelf.

Guest cookoff013

i have a mec 9000 and a sizemaster.

while the lee is a basic model, it can still produce stunning ammunition. what i would advise is to grab another reloader guy locally. i would severely suggest a 1-1 reloading and learning,

just get some components for some boringly average shells. aka 1oz lead, csb5, a decent maybe tall wad. 25-27mm.. 70mm hulls.

use a scale for validation. 

i just dont bother much anymore. i lost the buzz. but its pretty stunning what you can do with some dedication and some data. 

my next projects should have been running the hell out of csb5 and tweeking hevi **** 36g load and doing a lead / steel / hw18 load. but i just slowed and stopped. i had to book off a week for the last project.

32 minutes ago, figgy said:

Come on cook we been waiting for you to get up with your new loads. We like the development and trials and tribulations of your project loads.

The op can make some on his new Loadall 2

yep we are all waiting cooky , for them results , get experimenting , thank's figgy for reminding me.

Guest cookoff013

I just lost enthusiasm. I love developing stuff. Its not even time or money.

Work is a pain and its getting worse.

I had a huge list to do but just stalled cos i cant be bothered.