Shot maker heating element?

Dazv

Hi all, I'm after some advice in regaurds to shot making. My main question is about the heat source. I've read that some electric hot plates aren't up to the task of heating and controlling lead. Is there a certain wattage I'm looking for or is it something completely different?

i know this topic has been covered many times but any advice you guys have is greatly appreciated 

darren 

It's probably in the sticky above but you want an Ebay boiling ring of around 7" diameter and from around 12-1500 watts depending on your pot size. Shot making is best done in the warm weather, much harder to get it flowing well in the cold. Hot plates don't get hot enough for this.

Edited by sitsinhedges

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you'd see this as you seem to know your onions on shot making. 

Are they just called boiling rings? I'm struggling to find them. Do you happen to know if you can buy them wired all ready to go? 

Thanks so much for you reply and advice 

darren

18 hours ago, Dazv said:

Thanks for the reply, I was hoping you'd see this as you seem to know your onions on shot making. 

Are they just called boiling rings? I'm struggling to find them. Do you happen to know if you can buy them wired all ready to go? 

Thanks so much for you reply and advice 

darren

You really need some kind of heat controller or the element will work continuously at full throttle, overheat the lead and burnout quite quickly. A range simmerstat is simplest as you just use it to regulate an on/off  cycle for the element. Then you can look into a temperature controller which keeps the pot at a predetermined temperature. It's all in the shot making sticky that no-one bothers to read. Boiling plates such as the Sabichi one suggested on this thread don't get hot enough to melt lead and burn out quite quickly if you try and bypass their thermostat. If I knew how to copy and paste on my tablet I would give a few examples but I don't and my laptop has gone tits up, lol.