How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

I don’t know the full story of the owl box. Apparently an owl nested there last year and this week the gardener decided to climb a ladder and clear out the box only to be surprised by two greys rushing out!  This sighting was then reported on our system and is in my colleagues patch. Whether the greys return, remains to be seen, it may turn out that it is the same pair that were shot and trappped yesterday. It is all within a few hundred yards of each other.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

I don’t know the full story of the owl box. Apparently an owl nested there last year and this week the gardener decided to climb a ladder and clear out the box only to be surprised by two greys rushing out!  This sighting was then reported on our system and is in my colleagues patch. Whether the greys return, remains to be seen, it may turn out that it is the same pair that were shot and trappped yesterday. It is all within a few hundred yards of each other.

I’ve shot squirrels which had built a drey in an owl box. I set up a hide in front of the box and waited from before dawn, as the emerged they sat on the top of the box preening themselves, one at a time and presented easy shots. The box was then available for the owl!

One more this morning on a regular feeder. The hide I had there was no more than a pigeon hide with a hessian roof...not good.... so I had some old ply lying about and built a proper one set on a pallet as the floor, nice plastic garden chair inside.  It worked this morning.

002.jpg

Edited by Walker570

Following the cry to action, I have had 14 this year in 3 fenn traps set around the corn trailer we have parked in the woods. More squirrels than I have ever seen this year and we have had vermin shoot for the last 2 years with a combined total of over 70!

1 hour ago, kennett said:

Following the cry to action, I have had 14 this year in 3 fenn traps set around the corn trailer we have parked in the woods. More squirrels than I have ever seen this year and we have had vermin shoot for the last 2 years with a combined total of over 70!

Keep whacking and stacking.  Well done.

The car doors were frozen solid this morning, so I was late getting out. Not that it mattered, the greys were staying in bed.

It was nice to be out though, there was a light dusting of snow and the lake completely covered by an inversion (posh word for mist!)C1A12804-F76A-40A5-8545-C0B046A2D8E0.jpeg.29bca17fa2235113fbc28d472dbf9373.jpeg

Trapped one this afternoon at the caravan site

Total 105

Just a single for me at the hotel - shot swinging from a wire feeder that I had just put up. I haven’t seen many about these last few days, the poor weather hasn’t helped but one of my colleagues has caught a few recently so perhaps they are getting hungry.

Total 156