How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As promised l went out this morning and other than a very enjoyable walk carrying a gun in the snow shower l shot zilch, saw 3 squirrels and a hare all in un-shoot able positions.

Still a very nice walk and the animal tracks in the snow have pointed out some very good positions to lay up in wait in the future.

On my way back home the male pheasant’s were out in droves, they know when the season is over 🤬

Shot one yesterday, sunning itself at the hotel and one culled today through the loan trap scheme.

I check the local woods regularly with the thermal, without seeing anything, but a few tree holes where glowing a bit so they must be keeping warm and only coming out when necessary.

172 total

Edited by Sciurus
Miscalculation

Not been the best week for me.

It started very well. On Monday, I was asked for a loan trap and when I dropped it off, the offending grey was swinging on the bird feeder. So the Daystate did the business and the householder was very happy.

I then called in to my local hotel, there were 3 greys chasing each other round and round the tree trunks for ages, eventually the tail end Charlie stopped for a breather and I had a shot (& missed) and didn’t see them for dust!  I returned next day and saw one in the same tree. It waited until I got out the air rifle out of the car and then ran straight  into a hollow trunk. I haven’t seen any there since.

I have had no further succcess at the caravan site, so pulled out since it was reopening this weekend.

I did however get one on Wednesday with the .410 at a NT site  early morning before opening time.

The rest of the week was ruined by having to redecorate the lounge, I should be finished this weekend, so hopefully will have better luck next week.

Total 197