How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

Only one today. Didn't even see it until after I'd just missed a rabbit with the 22LR. It was foraging closer to me on the ground so I shot it. There were 2 others up in the tree later on but only had the rifle with me so they'll have to wait for another day

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 20:36, Walker570 said:

missed at least four

didn't think you could spell missed😆

not the end of the world though when you took eleven, if i see one and don't get a shot it is the end of the world.

On ‎23‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 15:09, AndyCM said:

12 shotguns & 38 squirrels......cartridge count......lost count 😆

sounds like a fun day, driven squirrel shooting.

On ‎21‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 18:05, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Well the weather could not have been finer this afternoon so it was off to the golf course with the hmr at 15:30, and sure enough they were out and about, saw 7 shot 7, nuff said.

how was the course not full of blokes in bright clothing at that time?

I added them to the total for you red leg in kale

Wouldn't do it for anyone else but anyone who shoots 35 I'll be glad to:good:

Mice ,  I put missed but those which went away went with tails up, so they might have had a crease in heir hide. Wish I had my 17HMR at the time.

Put another flip top there so next week :good:

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

didn't think you could spell missed😆

not the end of the world though when you took eleven, if i see one and don't get a shot it is the end of the world.

sounds like a fun day, driven squirrel shooting.

how was the course not full of blokes in bright clothing at that time?

1st 9 shut this last week for repair and rejuvenation, so all folk partaking in the wearing fluorescent clothing were on the last 9.

Worked a treat for me as l was able to move freely without interruption.

On 21/02/2019 at 20:24, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Bet they’ve seen you though, they’re always there.

I set a trail camera over Saturday night , and yes they are on the feeders , but not when they used to be.

Now its early am , from 7.10 onward . Squirrels , pigeons and crows .

Next Saturday morning we shall meet.

16 minutes ago, Longbower said:

I set a trail camera over Saturday night , and yes they are on the feeders , but not when they used to be.

Now its early am , from 7.10 onward . Squirrels , pigeons and crows .

Next Saturday morning we shall meet.

Yep I have noticed on two of my sets that the tree rats are appearing much earlier, even catching out the camera so black and white pictures.

Rain forecast for us in the Midlands for Saturday & Sunday so don't know if they will be out and about. Not a problem for me as all my blinds have waterproof roofs.

Edited by Walker570

I managed one yesterday, despite being on the permission for quite a while.  I suspect I’m not alone, in that I have the choice of sitting and waiting with an air rifle, or wondering around with a shotgun.  Yesterday I chose the latter, due to air tank issues.  Next weekend will switch strategy and get there early with the air rifle and attempt to nail them whilst they’re scoffing breakfast.

Total 349

Got in the hide early before daybreak this morning meaning to have three or four hours at them as I had at least three on the trail cam.  The first came in at 7..30 almost settled and then bolted never to return, then at 8 oclock another turned up and was enjoying it's first and last peanut when I heard a big machine moving in the farm yard and my mobile buzzed. The farmer on saying my magpie hide had to be moved to mke way for slurry pumping machinery and then I knew why the first bolted, activity I couldn't see. So packed in and went home for coffee.

The 2018 Annual Review from Westmorland Red Squirrels has just been released and 4691 greys were shot/trapped in our area last year.

My modest 142 contribution  has already been counted so if 142 is deducted from 4691 , is it possible to add 4549 greys to the 2018 Pidgeon Watch total please?

1 trapped yesterday and another today in same loaned  trap.

Total 359

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Superb effort .... BUT as my teacher used to say as I was gazing out of the class room window at the woodpigeons feeding in the allotments across the road ..."Must try harder":good:

I think we must have had the same teacher! He used to write it in my school reports 3 times a year....😂

10 hours ago, Sciurus said:

The 2018 Annual Review from Westmorland Red Squirrels has just been released and 4691 greys were shot/trapped in our area last year.

My modest 142 contribution  has already been counted so if 142 is deducted from 4691 , is it possible to add 4549 greys to the 2018 Pidgeon Watch total please?

1 trapped yesterday and another today in same loaned  trap.

Total 359

Nothing modest about 142, especially given how key an area your working in 👏👏

and 4691 is very impressive, imagine how many greys there would be if all those had bred!!

Kev, that’s so true. It is a constant battle because greys have more and larger litters than reds. Typical Yanks - oversexed and over here!

I have been called out twice this morning to cull two males from the trap I caught the female in yesterday. That’s the fourth in 4 days - the power of female scent is obviously very attractive. It’s taken two weeks to get the 1st though.

Total 361