How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went over to Lincolnshire today, early start and had five on the deck by 7.30am.  Things went quiet after I shot the seventh, so I moved to another well know spot and on route came across an old guy holding a big dog lead looking around embarrased. He was o the footpath but heaven knows where his dog was as he obviosuly didn't. I never saw the dog but having ettled in the little cabin overlooking a feeder, I had only been there a few minutes and a human being walked aross thr ride about 50yrds from me ... no footpath there.  Ten minutes later the same person appeared and wlked at an angle to me and back into the wood looking at the floor. He had a small back pack on.  Now this area is absolutely covered in many thousands of snowdrops of all types and I believed him to be illegally digging them but looking for the rare ones.  I had to stash my rifles and kit in the Landie and by the time I got round to where these people park there cars one was driving off with a similar looking person on board.  All of this washed out my wish to be in double figures but I can log 7.

The big plus was the Keeper put me onto a wood I had never been to and on stepping into it three tree rats ran off.  I didn't shoot it but baited a ride with whole maize and will then put in a feeder.  I can pull up t the fence and put my folding high seat on the Landie roof and have a spot on view.  Watch this space:good:

11 hours ago, Mattheius said:

We went out on a big squirrel drive, and shot 63! And there are still so many around!

Great going, but give us some more info, i imagine it was walking guns? Or were you drey poking? Certainly sounds like a busy busy day 👏👏 

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

Great going, but give us some more info, i imagine it was walking guns? Or were you drey poking? Certainly sounds like a busy busy day 👏👏 

Yes, dray bashing, there was 7 of us shooting, over several woods, was a fun day, and very busy indeed.

I put the following reply to a question asking about the cost of peanuts on the Airgun section of the forum. Thought it may prove of some use to someone on here possibly. 

B&M stores also selling 12.6 kilo for 14.99 though have seen them sell them for 12.99 recently. 

A cheap way of setting up a feeder that benefits birds and wildlife, as well as encouraging squirrels is quite simple..

Get a length of (I think?) 4" diameter drain pipe. As long as you want. The longer, the more capacity it has obviously. 

Get a fat ball feeder. The ones that are cylindrical shaped. The fat balls sit inside it, usually get 4 or 5 on top of each other? They only cost a couple of pound and are usually the exact same diameter as your drain pipe. 

Drill 2 holes in end of pipe. Use wire to attach feeder to end of pipe. Obviously doing it in such a way that the fat balls can roll down the feeder.

Drill holes in other end of pipe so you can put a length of fencing wire through to hang up the feeder. Bastardise a top from an old paint lid etc.

Fill up with fat balls (approx £4 for 50).

Hang from a tree, allowing squirrels to be able to reach the feeder end of the pipe.

It's cheap and effective and no matter how many times I buy fat balls I still giggle when asking shopkeepers if they have them.

Today was a granddaughter day and she wanted to go and see the ducks, so after lunch in a blowing gale off we went to Hanningfield’s Nature Trail.

And l have never seen so much obesity among squirrels, shed loads of them, these fellers are obviously allowed free rain and are not regulated, after an hour of ooh’s and arr’s l was itching to be on the other end of a scope when looking at them.

The surrounding fields didn’t help much as they were full of, how shall we call them “PEST’S” or Canada’s in wildfowling term’s 🤔

Tomorrow’s another day and l shall be out, armed and hungry.

Eight today from Lincolnshire, so our Irish Fly Tyer will be getting seven tails in the next day or so as promised. He would have had eight, but one bounced about and dropped in a six foot ditch full of water.  Almost caught up with my plan of five a week.

008.jpg

Edited by Walker570