How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2019 totals to date.

Thanks to Steve for the opportunities. Maybe learning more about them as time goes on.

Jan... 6 down.               928

Feb... 5  down               933

Mar... 7  down               940              

April... 36 down             976             

May... 17 down              993

MUST try harder:yes:

Me included. I said I wanted to average 5 a week and I am running short sitting at 4.4 at the moment.  I certainly saw a serious shortage of targets in March but things are certainly warming up this last two weeks.

Edited by Walker570

10 hours ago, Walker570 said:

MUST try harder

Me included. I said I wanted to average 5 a week and I am running short sitting at 4.4 at the moment.  I certainly saw a serious shortage of targets in March but things are certainly warming up this last two weeks.

Have had 5 a day on a few occasions for some reason then the odd totally blank day. No discernible differences in reasons yet? Am logging times now but too early for any clues.    

Only one trapped today from trap I lent out yesterday.

Later, I went to put out a trap at a local hotel and spotted the offending grey on the hotels bird feeder. I went to fetch the air rifle but a bridal car arrived and parked in front of the feeder! A great shame but the bride looked lovely.

Total 964

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Another 7 this morning all in 40 minutes...7.30am to 8.10am then ran out of shells (17HMR)  I had two five shot clips with me and had two misses but hit with follow ups and a second shot on one which needed a finishing shot.

001.jpg

A finishing shot with an HMR 😳 ye gods they are normally peeled open the first time you hit them.

1 hour ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

A finishing shot with an HMR 😳 ye gods they are normally peeled open the first time you hit them.

Yep, this one was when I got there but it was still trying to climb the side of the tree. Very tough little beasties.

Arranging them for the photo was done very tastefully with care I can tell you.

6 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Chesh - you are putting us to shame! Well done - what are you shooting with?

Chesh uses a 17HMR almost exclusively and is in eastern half of Leicestershire.

Edited by Walker570

22 hours ago, Fisheruk said:

I bet that woke the neighbours up 😂

Haha lucky enough the neighbours are a fair bit up the road, and not know to mind much.  As gardens go its pretty centre fire friendly lol 

Another two this morning, one shot, one trapped.

...and another two, with a tail to tell. Had one at 60yrds head and shoulders facing me above a large tree root. Fired the shot and tree rat launched itself skywards for at least five feet, bounced around and vanished in the long grass.  I went to check it all out and could not find that one but lay where it was standing was a two inch length of tree rat tail. I must have gone just a tad high and the bullet from the HMR, removed the two inch piece...no wonder it went vertical:lol:

Edited by Walker570

7 hours ago, Walker570 said:

...and another two, with a tail to tell. Had one at 60yrds head and shoulders facing me above a large tree root. Fired the shot and tree rat launched itself skywards for at least five feet, bounced around and vanished in the long grass.  I went to check it all out and could not find that one but lay where it was standing was a two inch length of tree rat tail. I must have gone just a tad high and the bullet from the HMR, removed the two inch piece...no wonder it went vertical

Last year, I gave one a new haircut with a stylish ‘centre parting’, that also made it take off vertically, like a scalded cat!

Only one trapped today.