How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 09/06/2019 at 21:14, Sciurus said:

David, I am guessing you aren’t allowed to shoot foxes on the reserve?

Only one today, a male following yesterday’s female into the trap. 

No, only squirrels and rats!

Another two today. Mature male and a mature female.

Edited by Fisheruk

New location and set a hopper flip top 3 weeks ago, initially with peanuts and then whole maize on top to follow. They had it three parts empty when I arrived. So just sat back in the passenger seat of the Landie at 6.30am and at 6.45 the first arrived at the run, had eleven there by 10.45 and moved to an old set and had another 5 there by 2.30pm. Really did think I would break the 20 barrier as last year I had 18 at one sitting in the same wood.

50 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Well it turned out to be a disappointing quiet day, I was genuininely expecting better but I did manage sixteen.

Crikey,! Well done!!👍

It does illustrate the benefit of larger feeders, since they do pull the greys in from a larger area. Unfortunately NT and Sanctuaries, want us off site before the public arrive🙁

In comparison, I had a more modest 3 trapped today, most catches this week were adolescents.

And it was another quiet morning sat in the passenger seat of the Landie overlooking a pheasant feeder with the 22RF and a cup of coffee and it was sip - shoot, sip - shoot,  sip - shoot all morning  7.30 to 11.30   17 in total then at about 12 noon it went all quiet:hmm:...wonder why?

Certainly boosted my five a week resolution.

013.jpg

Edited by Walker570

New ground and more to come. Three woods and I have set a flip top, hopper model in the one that hasn't been shot, with peanuts to start followed by whole maize. I'll leave it about 9 -10 days then hit it.  The Keeper is going to keep and eye and see it doesn't run out before then. Totally virgin wood apart from the occasional one shot buy the Keeper. I will be itching to go all this week:lol: watch this space.

19 hours ago, Walker570 said:

And it was another quiet morning sat in the passenger seat of the Landie overlooking a pheasant feeder with the 22RF and a cup of coffee and it was sip - shoot, sip - shoot,  sip - shoot all morning  7.30 to 11.30   17 in total then at about 12 noon it went all quiet...wonder why?

Certainly boosted my five a week resolution.

013.jpg

17 😯😯 shame you don't live in the lakes fella, but your rifle is the wrong way round for the pic 😁 

been a while, two this morning.

Think you must have got mine Walker.

Spent five hours the last two mornings staking out one of my feeders,  and ........nothing, not even a sighting.

Strange as all the wheat is been eaten continuously with the feeder chewed if it has run out.

Put a trail cam on it and find the time they are there

3 hours ago, ratchers said:

Think you must have got mine Walker.

Spent five hours the last two mornings staking out one of my feeders,  and ........nothing, not even a sighting.

Strange as all the wheat is been eaten continuously with the feeder chewed if it has run out.

I've shot 92 since the turn of the year, I shot them really hard last year and shot just over a 100 and there were very few left . I think they must be coming in from the gardens of the village near the shoot , I shoot a particular feeder until very little is being eaten and leave it a couple of weeks then all of a sudden the feeders emptied in days . At least it's given me something to do with the problems over the general licence