How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be absolutely fair to y'allll. I have a number of spots which I bait heavily and will only hit about once every two weeks. This was one such spot but I had to hit two feeders to get 8 where I would expect double from just one of them.  I have nine such places and would be disappointed if like today I didn't get double figures as I am pulling from some large areas of forestry.

SO, don't despair just keep whacking and stacking what you can.

The decline in squirrels at my permission’s is very noticeable and may have been to the whacking they received early in the year, in and around my garden l have only seen 1 since early spring and he met his fate so keeping on top of them does work.

Yesterday l visited Thorndon Park with my granddaughter and saw 1, that was until we stopped for lunch in the picnic area, at this point you wouldn’t have believed your eyes, it was like a scene from The Pied Piper, they were sat along the fencing, in the trees and all over the ground, plus as a bonus were the dozen or so magpies duly waiting their turns to swoop in and grab the food that the bus loads of school children and their minders were throwing for their amusement.

Despairing to say the least, my wife pointed out that if they had been rats the place would have been devoid of picnickers and a health warning in place.

4 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

The decline in squirrels at my permission’s is very noticeable and may have been to the whacking they received early in the year, in and around my garden l have only seen 1 since early spring and he met his fate so keeping on top of them does work.

Yesterday l visited Thorndon Park with my granddaughter and saw 1, that was until we stopped for lunch in the picnic area, at this point you wouldn’t have believed your eyes, it was like a scene from The Pied Piper, they were sat along the fencing, in the trees and all over the ground, plus as a bonus were the dozen or so magpies duly waiting their turns to swoop in and grab the food that the bus loads of school children and their minders were throwing for their amusement.

Despairing to say the least, my wife pointed out that if they had been rats the place would have been devoid of picnickers and a health warning in place.

Your wife is a very perceptive person. I would never have thought that:good:

Had an hour to spare on a farm I was going to cut up some trees and have a bait site there, camera showing activity....1670 pics in 48hrs... settled in the high seat and the cupboard was bare.  I sat for an hour and the ducklings didn't show and neither did the young moorhens...they were clucking way.  I then saw a pigeon go to land in the tree and swerve away at the last minute and my binos revealed Mr  maybe Mrs Buzzard tucked up tidily on a branch, just staring down at the feed area.  I walked across and flushed it away but everyhting was seriously nervous and unlikely to show.   Maybe tomorrow morning.

27 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Just seven today but only had a short spell in the morning and again afternoon as working on pens and things ready for birds rest of day.

You are like a one man demolition squad on the Squirrel population Walker :lol: , have you ever tried eating Squirrel , I know they used to sell it at Holkham , and the chap who used to catch them on the estate would fill his freezer up and take 200+ to the Wild Game Company down in Suffolk , at the time he was getting about 60p each as there was a good demand for them . 

No never fancied squirrel. I have as much muntie meat as I need when I need it and much prefer it, along with most venison and game bird meat including pigeon.  All of the squirrels I shoot are not wasted as I leave them to feed the buzzards, foxes etc ... if they eat a tree rat then hopefully they will not eat a pheasant/partridge etc.

I set myself a challenge on the 1st jan to average 5 a week for the year and at this moment I ma on 6.77 so have a few in hand for any quiet weeks ahead.  I am fortunate as I have a fair number of good bait sites, I think 10 or 11 now, so I can hit them infrequently.  The relatively new site today I have been four times and those today made a total of 40 for the four visits but they are now getting a bit rare.

Edited by Walker570

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

The relatively new site today I have been four times and those today made a total of 40 for the four visits but they are now getting a bit rare.

funny how shooting 40 makes them a bit rare 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

3 hours ago, Sciurus said:

One trapped today, the first caught this month, so I think the main trapping season is pretty well over. Time to go shooting again.

I was supposed to be on a bike ride this evening, which means scouting patches of woodland, well this evening I was in a beautiful spot of mixed woodland under a beech with bits falling everywhere!! Their on the Beech already.