How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh the joyful sound of my granddaughter just now “Grandpa squirrels” and sure enough their on the hazelnut bush, she goes back to playing in the other room while l get the TX out of the cupboard.

Thats the first ones l’ve seen in the garden for months, one settled down with his very last nut on the rockery and the TX spoke

I'd almost forgotten what they looked like !!!   Saw three today but only on stood still long enough to meet a lump of lead.  I spent almost six hours sat on well fed areas and saw almost everyhting else but squirrels.  We seem to have done a good job.  I've personally taken out 45 and the keeper believes he must have shot 200 in the last two years.  One joy of the day was the myriad of small birds, including a whitethroat which I have not seen since childhood.

I roamed the 28 acre wood today , after filling the feeders and the small dishes on their lids .

I returned to after two hours , and sat in the 'shed' where I have a 25-32 yd clear shot at all the tables and feeders through an open flap.

Nothing , Nowt,  Zilch, with four legs.

I'm happy to report though , plenty of Coal Tits, Blue Tits, Nuthatches, Spotted Woodpeckers, and Tree Creepers.

Edited by Longbower

20 hours ago, Longbower said:

I'm happy to report though , plenty of Coal Tits, Blue Tits, Nuthatches, Spotted Woodpeckers, and Tree Creepers.

And that's what its all about, trying to get things balanced.

Keep up the good work, August is always quiet.

An early start yesterday was the first time the weather and commitments had permitted me to get out for a week.

The feeder was out of nuts, but there was still wheat at the bottom, which we leave there to keep them interested after they have scoffed the peanuts.

Filled the feeder with nuts and settled into the hide which Mice and Mick C had built a few weeks ago. This hide is proving to be very productive.

15 minutes later Squirrel comes down the 60 foot pine tree to which the feeder is attached- result. Clang as the 42gr, soft point from the .22lr Chiappa hits the steel back stop on the feeder and another mature male hits the dust. Don’t get runners with 42gr of lead passing through heart and lung.

Well the weather was fine this morning so I thought I would go and have a look. Arrived there at daybreak only to remember I had removed my stool from the pickup on Sunday. Thought I would go and top up the feeders. 1 and 4 were down 1/2 inch there is a tree stump near number 3 so perched on that so that I could sup from my flask. 5 minutes on and I scanned the canopy with the thermal. There was a squirrel in an oak tree 50 yards away. Obligingly it came down the trunk and met 42g of lead. A young female. After another 15 minutes I heard a squirrel in the Pine canopy and watched it make its way straight over my head. Another appeared and the two proceeded to chase each other around the trunk up and down round and round. Eventually one came down about 20 yards away and met 42gr of lead. A relatively young male with testicles just forming. That’s one which will not be using them!

And show they did, one sat on top of my Bee House which is attached to a large tree, so an excellent back stop, TX did it’s job effectively as you’d expect.

And tonight a trip to the golf course secured another one, he was canopy hopping when l spotted him so l walk past and settle down to wait, sure enough five minutes later he’s down on the ground scratching about and met 17gr of Hornardy’s finest from 60 yd’s.

Total 1404.

....and another one at lunch time today.  I was busy chainsawing logs and building a log store when they where spotted, so deferred lunch and sat in the nearest cabin with the 17HMR.

two shot across the track without stopping but a thrid paused for one fatal moment.  Later saw another so will be out at crack of dawn in the morning. Have 17HMR will travel:shoot:

...and another one this afternoon different location.

....and two more this morning in my own wood again  0600. I did shave some hair off one for sure, it jumped and leapt about and raced off with tail erect leaving a track about twenty yards in the wet grass to the base of a tree.  This afternoon maybe.

Edited by Walker570

This afternoon l went to a new permission that l attained on Saturday for some bunny bashing, l was set up in a nicely shaded area behind some elder and hazel trees when to my surprise Tuffty hops down about 3yd’s away with a face full of nuts.

Quickly dialled the scope back as far as possible on sf and ocular and sent 42gr into the back of his head, to say he didn’t shake, rattle or roll would be an understatement, first one from this site after about 10 minutes, more to come ?, l hope so.

Total 1415.