How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Pigeon Shredder. said:

Well l’m sitting in the garden with a nice cold tonic, wife , son and daughter in law, granddaughter and a stack of xxxxxxx squirrels running up and down the trees, fence, garden, oohs and ahh’s, grandad squirrels look. 😤😤😤😤

They'll be back tomorrow, be ready with a brew and TX

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Two more this morning and there may have been a third but could not find it so can't count it.  Rolled it over at 50yrds with the 17HMR and it bounced about then zig zagged in a half circle into the trees. Tough little boogers for sure.  Anyway booking two.

‘Twas but a scratch, what again Nev, your gonna have to get the big stuff out.

Lots of natural food about. One I shot this morning was cracking the stones from some early bullace plums which had rotted on the floor.  I'm fortunate that I have built comfy cabins to watch the wildlife and control the vermin from and mow the ground clean around the hazels and other orchard trees.   I still have some squirrels visiting a feed pile of whole maize on another site.  They might get a surprise in the morning. 

Does anyone have a clue how our numbers are compared with 1st Sept 2018.  I have certainly shot more.  On 208 where I only shot 220 for the whole year last year and I have already shot 14 in this last three weeks where I shot 10 total before they dried up.  Seems they have had a good breeding season.

Edited by Walker570

Ones around my way are ripping into the hazelnuts big time, every garden North and South has hazels and the fenceing is occupied all day long with them back and forth.

lf they stop off in my garden they are attended too, but the last couple of days they are dropping off the fence into our neighbors garden’s.

Their time will come 😏

And it did, refilling the bird feeders and water bowls this morning and 3 thundered along the fence not 4 feet in front of me heading south, finished up what l was doing and back indoors.

Get the TX out of the cupboard and slide back a patio door, 5 minutes later and ones decided yet again that my rockeries a good place to bury his latest stash, how wrong he was, TX spoke and squirrel somersault’s for the last time.

Total 1422.

Got a call to go over to a permission this afternoon parked up got the rifle out of the boot and who strolled past but Mr Squirrel , loaded the magazine, dialled back the scope walked around the corner and he’s enjoying his very last hazelnut and boom💥.

And then l carried on to the real reason l was called.

Been a good week.