How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On one of my permission’s this morning and after setting up to shoot some bunnies l decided to collect another sack full of hazelnuts from the tree where l set up under, they certainly are in abundance this year.

Collection completed and l had just settled down when Mr Squirrel decided he to would help himself to “my” hazel’s and sat himself on an electric fence post not 20 feet away, he was happily opening his nut quite oblivious to me pointing a 22lr in his direction, his first and last mistake of the day l’m afraid.

Still waiting for the bunnies to show when squirrels mate turned up, had a root around found his lunch and settled down not 10 feet away, dialled the scope right down and peering over the side of my hide l could just focus on it and he too had Winchester 42gr for desert.

Both collected and placed out as corridor bait in the field.

Total 1471.

See Rabbit and Corvid sections.

One more this afternoon in the same spot as the mornings bag. That is 31 since 1st July in this 10 acre wood!!!!  Still on 5.97 per week for the year so far.

Annoying as I saw three road kills within a mile of home this morning which goes to show how well they seem to have bred this year.

Edited by Walker570

Had one more this morning. It was showing up all alone on the trail cam for three or four days. Felt sorry for it...NOT   Averaging 6 a week still, so looking good for my New Years resolution of five a week.

The ground under the oak tree is absolutely covered with acorns.

017.jpg

Edited by Walker570

Poor little thing, looks like you caught him mid munch, had one in the same situation a couple of years back with a walnut in his mouth, took aim at the walnut and everything exploded just like when you see people shooting water melons, that’s when you wish you had a camera on the gun.

Well done with you averaging for the year, you’ve been a very busy man.👍

Been a busy boy today.

First off l thought l had cleared the garden of squirrels, well this morning two arrived with their fare to be buried in my rockeries , the TX just happened to have been on the table and the patio door open, strange how that happens when the wife’s out, anyway only one left the garden, the other stayed behind. 🐿

Then PM when the wife comes home she asked if l was going shooting, “am now dear”and the hmr is bound for the golf course pronto.

Arrive and the place is nearly empty, it’s been raining on and off so could be a good afternoon for a walk around, well it was the acorns were drawing a lot of attention and l walked the first nine holes, saw nobody and bagged 🐿🐿🐿🐿🐿.

And then the sky’s opened up, the rain hammered down and the thunder rolled around above me, stood my ground under an oak tree until it all subsided and then squelched my way back to the car.

Gun cleaned, dried and lubed, wet kit hung up to dry and a glass of something waiting for me when dinners ready.

ln all a good time was had today, well for me, not the squirrels.

Total 1490.

Just one today during a break in the rain.

PS   suggestion, don't stand under trees even oak trees when lightening is about. Might have your number on it.  Had it miss me by about 20yrds when I did a runner and left the tree when I was 12.  Split the tree top to bottom.  I felt the charge go up my legs.

Edited by Walker570

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

Just one today during a break in the rain.

PS   suggestion, don't stand under trees even oak trees when lightening is about. Might have your number on it.  Had it miss me by about 20yrds when I did a runner and left the tree when I was 12.  Split the tree top to bottom.  I felt the charge go up my legs.

At the time this was a large consideration, but as it was a good mile back to the car carrying a rifle (also attractive to lightning) l decided to stay put and wait it out 😰

Yep, choices choices and you never know if it has your number. Attended a hit on a football field once and it had taken one young guy out of the 22 on the field at the time and 100 spectators all round with no other injuries.   On a more pleasant note, well done on the tree rats. Frustrating at the moment as they will not sit still, racing about burying acorns and hazel nuts, just took a snap shot at the one this morning has it paused in the cross hairs.  Hopefully it will settle down again in a week or so and they go back to hitting the pheasant feeders.