How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 04/10/2019 at 19:57, Mice! said:

15 protestors - that must be a record turnout  for UR Ban squirrels!

Soon  I suspect they will  no longer be licenced to release greys 😀

On a different note, In August, I was walking round the park in Chester. There were greys everywhere, then, I saw the Do not feed the squirrels signs, which warned that greys were so used to being hand fed that they were now jumping onto pushchairs and proms looking for food and that there were concerns that a child would be bitten or scratched.

2 hours ago, Sciurus said:

15 protestors - that must be a record turnout  for UR Ban squirrels!

Soon  I suspect they will  no longer be licenced to release greys 😀

On a different note, In August, I was walking round the park in Chester. There were greys everywhere, then, I saw the Do not feed the squirrels signs, which warned that greys were so used to being hand fed that they were now jumping onto pushchairs and proms looking for food and that there were concerns that a child would be bitten or scratched.

The same at Quarry Bank Mill , near Manchester Airport.  Greys absolutely everywhere, and people throwing and offering food to them.

5 hours ago, Sciurus said:

2 hours ago, Longbower said:

The same at Quarry Bank Mill , near Manchester Airport.  Greys absolutely everywhere, and people throwing and offering food to them.

I understand that for some people it's the only wild mammal their going to see, plus there cute and climb, but folk wouldn't want rats coming up to them in the park.

Well I've had nothing for a long while and then ended up with two in the garden today, as i was getting ready for work another squirrel came marching up the garden, sniffed where the other died and kept coming, right up onto the bird table, mistake.

Another female similar size

Last Friday, I visited my favourite permission an oak/Beech wood with long frontage to the Lake. It was a lovely morning and as I was crossing the pasture to the wood, a grey appeared round a trunk and patently waited as I unslipped the gun and loaded up... I picked him up and as I scanned the oak again another appeared and was quickly put in the bag. The wood was a little disappointing, I saw two but they were well out of range. Just before I left the wood, I took this photo, thinking that was it for the day.

FAADA0A2-A65E-4A19-9A2E-8C2572BAC96F.jpeg.7c82b0ac23ffc9f6e09848775690ecd7.jpeg

However, Returning along the footpath, I spotted another grey, who also waited patently as I unslipped the gun and popped him off. A minute later I was in the car park and a fourth ran up a Beech into a drey. No public had arrived yet, so once again I unslipped the gun and reloaded, the thermal indicated where he was hiding  and so he was knocked off!

Needless to say they were all adolescents but they all count! 

Total 1525

Nice one.:good:

Checked out a new site this morning. I was a little late arriving...9am and at 9.15am I had 4 laying peacefully on the forest floor.  I have only just set this site and the hide and only when looking at the photos do I realise how back lit it is even though covered with camo netting. A sheet of hessian will solve that. I did see two of them sit bolt upright and freeze and they had obviously...too late...realised something was amiss.

017.jpg

Edited by Walker570

....and another this morning. It was very unlucky. I just saw a flick of movement off to the right of my blind and it was rummaging in some twigs.  Then saw another approaching but it was on a mission and did not stop, then I had two above me chattering away together. They still seem to be scavenging around for acorns etc., as they show no interest in the pheasant feeders and rarely sit still.  Need a spell of sharp frosts I think.

Had a walk round two local woods, quite a few youngsters running about the branches, two stopped long enough to be knocked down with the Daystate, I could have had more if I had the .410 with me but the woods are open to the public and it was half term...

Total 1532