How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mice, Last year, there was plenty of yew berries to attract them  and later in the year, the greys were using the yews to Shelter.

This year, there are very few yew berries about but plenty of Beech and hazel. Some days they are on the ground and some days in the branches- not worked out why but greys are a law unto themselves! 

I have lent my thermal out to another volunteer so I am out of action for a week.

There is still a lot of natural food about round here so the greys are just not interested in feeders and  the bait just gets damp and mouldy.

Shot 3 yesterday with the .410. They seemed to like being high up  the larches or feeding on the ground. Unfortunately a large number of trees in this wood have ivy growing up them and if they run up them they know they are safe from the thermal.😡😡😡

Total 1597

100% take on 2 feeders in the last 4 days and other 5 are all 50-60% - 5 squirrels on one Hopper when they went to check it - and I'm out of action with yet another infection but by tomorrow I should be fit enough to pay them a visit and "let the Cat out of the bag", sitting around for the last 3 days is soul destroying.

1601 - proof that impatience can, indeed, kill. Simply couldn't wait till tomorrow so just over an hour this afternoon and first visit of the year to this wood yielded 4 nice big fat ones - one sat on the feeder for a few minutes as I positioned my seat/bag and removed a few branches from the line of fire. How do they instantly know what a Monkey Nut is - one cheeky blighter stuffed one in his mouth and legged it.

Just put up my first attempt of a home made feeder, using ideas from the great pigeon watch collective, trail cam should get a few pics but as some said still a bit of food on the ground, lots of hazel, hawthorn and oaks in this wooded area. Like this time of year as a lot more on the ground, so I have a lot more safe shots with HMR

Two taken Sunday

Total 1609

Mick

First thing this morning I went to my favourite permission, it was a beautiful day but minus 1.5% and they weren’t out playing, shot one and missed another with .410.

In the afternoon, I went to a Country Hotel, unfortunately builders had set up a compound in the car park and so I couldn’t shoot the surrounding beeches which usually hold a few greys. I had a walk round their woodland instead and was rewarded by 3 greys shot with .177 Daystate. 

Total 1619

9.30am pfop!! something drops through our letter box. Picked up the envelope and surprise surprise after just over four weeks Leics Police have managed to reissue my FAC with a simple one for one request.  11am slide new Browing T Bolt 22RF into my rifle sleeve and thanking the lads at Solware for their patience I went home and fited a scope, sid down the wood and got it zeroed, impressed with the accuracy, then decided to drive across to a friends farm about 5 miles away and put some whole maize out for the tree rats. Just about to walk into the copse when I could see one on the pheasant feeder. Caught me almost with trousers down as I had the magazine in one pocket and carrying a white bucket with the maize. It was looking straght at me but froze long enough for me to get the rifle up and then of course had to fumble around and find the safety catch, WHHOPP  !!!!!  Job done.  Slid into my hide and had just settled when another came down the big oak next the feeder. This time I was ready.  By 2.45pm I had four on the deck and a great opener for this brilliant little rifle. Shorter and much lighter than my Marlin and a 10 shot rotary mag, easy to load and shoots much more accurately than I can.   The other two are in the middle of a bramble bush and the fox can dig them out.

002.jpg

Edited by Walker570

14 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

It's a Browning , Mice, no need to worry at all - it will hold that tree up all day long.

:yes:  I am very very pleased with it. Just having to get used to the straight pull and location of the safety..... the safety not such a problem as is trying to push the 'T' handle down after over fifty years of doing so..... what do they call it...???.. muscle memory or something.  Anyway I'm a fast learner.  Great little compact rifle.

I had a walk round a local wood with a friend and our .410s. It was pretty miserable weather and the greys stayed in bed until around 8am and then the thermals easily picked them out running in the branches. We had 8 in 1.5hrs and then had to clear off as the public were out and about in force. Still more to get, so going back Tuesday.

Total1633