How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Try Monkey Nuts - they seem mesmerized by them - Peanuts are also a good pull - early morning at daybreak is when they are most hungry and most tempted by an east meal - give em a couple of days to switch on to the new bait. Monkey Nuts also don't seem to appeal to birds so less get pilfered.

Edited by bruno22rf

Gone very quiet here. I have now sat for six hours and not seen a tree rat. Hundreds of small song birds and a bunch of pheasants and the occasional rabbit  BUT every time I check the chips on my cameras there they are.  I am well concealed so much so I have small song birds come and settle on my rifle moderator and a wood mouse scuttles about in the leaves around my feet.  Can't work it out. Just have to keep trying.  Looks like at least a week of better weather ahead and perhaps that might bring them out.

How are we on numbers. I seem to recollect we hit 2000 by year end last year plus the report from up north. 

Edited by Walker570

I spent 5 hours at the Golf club , under cover in the machine shed , and bagged 9 in total. .177 HW110.

The green keeper then took me out on his 'gator' to show me around the course, and we must have seen at least a dozen more just running around.

On Saturday , we walked our dogs around Eastham Park (Wirral) , and there were dozens of them. They were everywhere!

Shame on the council , on a peninsula, where some Reds remain, they  could make an effort to eliminate them.

22 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Gone very quiet here. I have now sat for six hours and not seen a tree rat. Hundreds of small song birds and a bunch of pheasants and the occasional rabbit  BUT every time I check the chips on my cameras there they are.  I am well concealed so much so I have small song birds come and settle on my rifle moderator and a wood mouse scuttles about in the leaves around my feet.  Can't work it out. Just have to keep trying.  Looks like at least a week of better weather ahead and perhaps that might bring them out.

How are we on numbers. I seem to recollect we hit 2000 by year end last year plus the report from up north. 

Finding the same. Very scarce and very scared. Will be an abysmal total this month again.

Two this morning.

One came up to the pheasant feeder but could not get a shot as it had its back to me, waited a little while and was gonna make a noise to get its attention when it moved,

great I thought, nows my chance, but it started off towards the peanut feeder and when I looked at that there was a squirrel on it munching away, swivelled my position on to

the feeder but the two squirrels were now chasing each other around the trees. Lost sight of them and then I spotted one on a branch, with its back to me! a waiting game again

but the other squirrel is now back on the feeder, bang one down, his mate sees whats happened and comes to investigate,down the branch on to the feeding box for a look at his

mate on the ground, stay still please but no he's off for a closer look and I lose sight, I wait for a reappearance back on to the peanut feeder but 20 minutes later he's back under

the pheasant feeder where he meets a pellet. First grey that I know prefers wheat to peanuts.

23 hours ago, old man said:

Finding the same. Very scarce and very scared. Will be an abysmal total this month again.

I was out Sunday,  only saw 2 in the woods, total opposite to what your seeing,  one just sat doing its thing at the top of a Scots pine, 30 mins without a clear shot before it went on it's way, didn't seem to care about me at all?

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

I just picked up some 'additive' for our pheasant feeders. Anyone used  'additive' on the peanuts.  Will coat some in a light veg oil then mix some of this 'dust' with it.  Aniseed

Interested to see the reaction on the flip top feeders.

I use aniseed additive to feeders and traps, I like to think it makes a difference but the greys still prefer natural food. It’s been 4 months since They visited the feeders - even when mixed with peanuts and sunflower seeds. However One volunteer has some success trapping out of season using a walnut and some hazelnuts sited in a mesh container within the trap.

I was out with the thermal again this morning. Again, it was spoilt by early morning dog walkers but I did manage 4 adults until I fired a dodgy Eley subsonic cartridge in the Hushpower and the fibre wad lodged in the end of the barrels, where it is ported. I gave up and went home and tapped the wad out. At £9 a box, I hope that is the only dud in that box.

Total 1670

Yes, still runing traps(live catch cage) in my own wood where they can be checked a couple of times a day. Only had one visitor in the last two months or more.  These, as you know are converted to hold a bird feeder cage for peanuts, so I will be trying the 'additive' on those but was going to use some in the flip tops as well.  We will see how succesful it is. 

Nice dry couple of weeks coming up which hoepfully will get them moving.

13 hours ago, Mice! said:

I was out Sunday,  only saw 2 in the woods, total opposite to what your seeing,  one just sat doing its thing at the top of a Scots pine, 30 mins without a clear shot before it went on it's way, didn't seem to care about me at all?

Out Thursday, saw 2, both at about 75 yards. both cleared off at high speed without looking back straight into dense cover.

Not able to use anything other than Air during the season so just stepping back a bit and waiting for new crop of youngsters and season end. Not close enough to trap, that would be the keepers but have some aniseed essence to try next week.

My total for November..... Zero.

Edited by old man

1 hour ago, old man said:

Out Thursday, saw 2, both at about 75 yards. both cleared off at high speed without looking back straight into dense cover.

Not able to use anything other than Air during the season so just stepping back a bit and waiting for new crop of youngsters and season end. Not close enough to trap, that would be the keepers but have some aniseed essence to try next week.

My total for November..... Zero.

Sounds to me like someone else has been shooting at them?

The flip top feeders were all empty, down to the wheat which I put in the bottom just to keep their interest when they have finished the peanuts. Topped up the feeders with peanuts and a squirrel was down on one of the feeders within 15 minutes. Others were about feeding on the pine cones at the top of the Scots pines. Still one less. 👍