How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Only one more this morning. I do think they are getting a bit thin on the ground just here

I was out yesterday morning and it was very quiet think the cold damp morning was having a impact, probably picked up once the sun was high but didn't have time to stay.

One taken though.

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saturday was a lovely frosty morning with clear skies. Had a stroll round a wood I shoot regularly (& thought I was on top of) & was amazed to see at least 10 greys. They were very frisky,  I saw two lots of 3 playing kiss chase and the rest were on the ground enjoying the sunshine. I  had the Daystate and only managed  two.

I returned this morning with a pal  and our .410s and although there was no sunshine, we shot 10 in 2 hours with our .410s. Any runners were quickly retrieved by his very willing whippet. Moving on to a second wood, we spent another 2hours, only shooting two more, much to the disgust of the whippet, but a record for me!

Total 1691

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Nice one. Buy the whippet a bone.

I don’t know anything about whippets, but this one would also flush a grey up a tree and sit quietly beneath the tree just waiting patiently for the shot... 

Weather permitting, she is coming out with us  on Wednesday and I’ll try and get a photo of her in action.

1 hour ago, Walker570 said:

4 today and they where still foraging not coming to the ample food at the pheasant feeders.

They still prefer to forage in my neck of the woods still atm, cold weather may change there minds.

Hopefully this damp weather will ****** off, me trail cam is having issues with condensation now.

Mick

Edited by powler

3 more this morning but my magical Monkey Nut theory has backfired slightly - although they are intrigued by them they have already learned that grabbing one and running up a tree with it is far safer than sitting on the feeder, took me 15 minutes to shoot one this morning doing just this but eventually he waited about 3 seconds too long.

22 hours ago, Sciurus said:

returned this morning with a pal  and our .410s and although there was no sunshine, we shot 10 in 2 hours with our .410s. Any runners were quickly retrieved by his very willing whippet

Now that's how it should be done, sounds like a great morning 

I set out again yesterday, unfortunately without pal or whippet. It was dull and overcast and a perfect day for the thermal. Two juveniles were quickly spotted and shot but the third took some spotting and shooting. It ran up a tree covered in ivy. It was a case of now you see me, now you don’t. It took a few shots to persuade it to leave the shelter of the ivy and  into the open where it could be shot.

Total 1704

Thought I better top up the feeder today but didn't take the hw100 as it was a bit wet.

Typical Mr Squirrel was having his dinner when I got there and it had stopped raining.

Anyway left him some more lunch and will join him again sometime when he can chew on some lead.

Text yesterday saying 5 of the 7 feeders are empty after a week, the other 2 that I cover most frequently are 60-70% empty and 2 Squizzers were feeding as the guys approached to top up. Weather looks good for tomorrow. As a side note the Wildcat was charged at the start of Squizzer shooting and has, to date, accounted for 12 plus a couple of zeroing sessions - only used 30 bar in around 30 shots - chuffed.  

5 on the way to and from the empty feeder, just watched trail cam footage, the feeder is 5 yrds from a brook, looked like the local rat has been a very greedy boy, he emptied it in one night  after many trips. Will move it even more into the woods away from the brook.

Greys very active and skittish late this afternoon think the mild weather and warm sun got them active, a lot dryer underfoot. Luckily took a shotgun so easier shooting on the runners and all safe shots, would of been none with the rifle.

Edited by powler

Just 4 this morning but could have been more if a buzzard had not flopped down on one carcase and then when I shushed it away it sat up in a tree above the feeder mewing indisgust.

Of course nothing else moved for the next hour.  The new toy Browning .22 T Bolt is proving it's worth, love it. Perfect in the hide as i don't have to poke it out of the slot.

004.jpg