How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

!00%  well done and agree , you have to feed 'em BUT also be there to flatten 'em as well.  Well done.  Can you add on your score please

I just managed one this morning. They were racing about thinking more of sex than food.  The sun was shining and amazingly it was not raining....

PLUS whatever Mick has to add on.....

Edited by Walker570

Well at the moment I’m up to 54 this year, maybe I’ll get another one or two before the end of the year. Moving house this year has limited the time I have had to get out. Hopefully next year I’ll be at em more often. The abundance of natural food this autumn limited the numbers using feeders. During August and September the feeders in Wales were hardly used. On the Nature Reserve we have very restrictive conditions and hours to shoot. Understandably with public footpaths all around and through the area.. In a few weeks time as the dawn gets earlier we’ll have a chance to get at one area we can’t shoot at present because dog walkers and joggers are out at first light and we need to be able to shoot next to a footpath. When we can get out before 5.30 we have a chance to shoot that area as most dog walkers don’t show before 6.30 👍 There are at least 4 Squirrels feeding in that area at present 

Edited by Fisheruk

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Two more this morning coming to the feed.

Puts me on 314 for the year .... will have to up my new years resolution to 6 a week next year.  Have my eye on one or two new virgin locations........DOWN DITCHIE DOWN not those sort of virgins:lol:

Nev, I think you’ll get to one a day next year - 365 😃

I totted up my figures for the year - 182. Unfortunately, Eighteen short of my 200 target. 

June was the best at 51, but once the natural food came out, I could only manage a total of 3 in the whole of August and September.

My feeders still haven’t been touched since August, there is still so much Beech about, so still using the thermal and .410. 

I hope to escape the family tomorrow morning and add a few more to the tally.

Keep sacking and stacking. Cheers Sciurus

Errr fours into 18 ?????  errrr  4.5  ....four days still left Sciurus, still time to do it. 

5 hours ago, Robertt said:

3 on feeder. ( over last 2 weeks )

Finding these late sqiggles difficult as I think there travelling a long way to feed then gorging up and returning home. Whereas the local stock, now deceased, were eating a little often.

I don't think your far wrong. I have a friend who cuts hedges for farmers and he told me this week he had disturbed quite a few up hedgerows obviously travelling form wood to wood, home to feed.  Once I had cleared the locals with some days of four or five in an hour or so, now I can sit for two/three hours for one or two and they come in at the gallop very hungry totally ignoring their dead mates lying by the feeder.

A good morning for me but not the greys 15 taken, three times I had a pair of young adults playing two ran so close I could of clubbed them. One wanted to play hide n seek around a tree so threw my shooting bag the other side of the tree to get him to come round.

Mick

I’ve made an account just to help you boys out with reaching the MM mark. 6 last week in my garden. 1 when goose shooting (42gm of BBs @ 5 yards). I will check through my notes and photographs to see what else I can definitely confirm for the year. Memory fails me a little. Add 7 for now as they are in the last week. 

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Errr fours into 18 ?????  errrr  4.5  ....four days still left Sciurus, still time to do it. 

Don’t make me feel guilty!

Mrs Squirrel is very easy going but if I left her to entertain our 5 guests for the next 4 mornings, She would happily add my nuts to the Christmas decorations! 🐿=😡

11 hours ago, WalkedUp said:

I’ve made an account just to help you boys out with reaching the MM mark. 6 last week in my garden. 1 when goose shooting (42gm of BBs @ 5 yards). I will check through my notes and photographs to see what else I can definitely confirm for the year. Memory fails me a little. Add 7 for now as they are in the last week. 

1963 if you include these BTW

5A103E82-97BE-4A7E-AF3D-E795BA1A40ED.jpeg

CD97EBB0-B25E-4EF9-9CBF-D50EC13DA4F4.jpeg

4EDD069C-BED9-429B-ACE8-9B99625E12FF.jpeg

DAE6F279-B13F-46B1-BEC8-868817BCF3E2.jpeg

Edited by WalkedUp
Added pictures

18 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Don’t make me feel guilty!

Mrs Squirrel is very easy going but if I left her to entertain our 5 guests for the next 4 mornings, She would happily add my nuts to the Christmas decorations! 🐿=😡

You do breakfast tomorrow then have a late morning stroll ( with rifle), your guests can have a wander to the lake, then out for a late lunch, your too close not to hit your target 👍

5 hours ago, Sciurus said:

Welcome Walked Up, Each grey shot helps- lovely dog by the way!

What part of the country are you?

Four more shot this morning, they were all having a run about in the branches.

Total 1967

Cheshire/Wales border.

I shot another one today. Need to check my shoot notes and photographs for the year’s total as my contribution to the cause must be 20+; however I am not going to simply guess. I don’t specifically target greys anymore (18 years ago I used to shoot dozens, baited from a hide with PCP) but now with FAC and SGC if I happen upon a grey on my wonders, I will kill it. Five greys in a day is probably my best this year when out walked up shooting or in a pigeon hide.

So, 1968 with today’s one (below).

9E633C98-E014-4BDD-A274-29581806EF89.jpeg

5 hours ago, Mice! said:

You do breakfast tomorrow then have a late morning stroll ( with rifle), your guests can have a wander to the lake, then out for a late lunch, your too close not to hit your target 👍

Kev, if only life was so simple! Unfortunately I have bred a family of runners. Tomorrow they are having a lie in till 6.30, then leaving an overactive toddler with us to entertain and will speed back down m6 your way to run a 10k race at Ribble Valley. This will be a very quiet day for them. The rest of the holiday they will do exactly the same but run 10 miles before breakfast before we all go for an 8 mile walk. 

It is quite frustrating, I am so close to my personal target and there are still greys to be had but at least the greys  will be waiting for me on Jan2!