How many Grey Squirrels are killed in 2019

steve_b_wales

Having endured some serious damage to both our Maize cover crop and our Pheasant feeders from the Grey hordes, I've been keeping a record of how many tree rats I've disposed of since 22 September this year, my totals so far are 15 in Fenn traps, and 15 using my trusty 12g Benelli Supersport Semi.

The very few ones that remain on our small shoot are now extremely wary, and trap shy, but I will continue to keep at them.

I've also taken out 9 in my back garden using a peanut feeder and my BSA Ultra .22 PCP, absolutely lethal at around 12 yards..!

I reckon I've now cleaned out the local population, as I haven't seen one for nearly a month, but I've kept the peanut feeder going, and I never realised just how much Woodies like peanuts, I've got a regular family of 6 birds emptying the feeder on a daily basis..!

Plus a few Jays and the odd Woodpecker..!

TOTAL  NOW 2014

Glad to have helped contribute to taking the total above 2000, happy hunting to all in 2020..!

Cat😎

• Replies 823
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Sciurus said:

Kev, if only life was so simple! Unfortunately I have bred a family of runners. Tomorrow they are having a lie in till 6.30, then leaving an overactive toddler with us to entertain and will speed back down m6 your way to run a 10k race at Ribble Valley. This will be a very quiet day for them. The rest of the holiday they will do exactly the same but run 10 miles before breakfast before we all go for an 8 mile walk. 

It is quite frustrating, I am so close to my personal target and there are still greys to be had but at least the greys  will be waiting for me on Jan2!

A lie in till 06:30 then run 10k, you'd need to chase me with a stick 😂😂

Catamong - well done beating the 2000 target.

Fisher Uk, your last one takes us up 2015.

Kev, I didn’t mention that one of them is a triathlete, in the summer he would also do 25 miles on the bike or swim a mile in the lake, again before breakfast! It’s exhausting having them to stay.

49 minutes ago, Sciurus said:

Catamong - well done beating the 2000 target.

Fisher Uk, your last one takes us up 2015.

Kev, I didn’t mention that one of them is a triathlete, in the summer he would also do 25 miles on the bike or swim a mile in the lake, again before breakfast! It’s exhausting having them to stay.

Nothing like a relaxing break in the lakes🙈🙈

Five this morning on a pheasant feeder/flip top combo where the flip top contents had just been slightly disturbed so thought I might get one maybe two this morning.

Trail cam shows the activity.  It will be interesting in 48hrs to see if anymore are using the feeders.  I only had an hour and a half this morning. OOOPS sorry loaded one twice.

I didn't realise tree rats could do handstands:lol:

004.jpg

135.JPG

286.JPG

522.JPG

286.JPG

25 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Five this morning on a pheasant feeder/flip top combo where the flip top contents had just been slightly disturbed so thought I might get one maybe two this morning.

Trail cam shows the activity.  It will be interesting in 48hrs to see if anymore are using the feeders.  I only had an hour and a half this morning. OOOPS sorry loaded one twice.

I didn't realise tree rats could do handstands:lol:

is that an automatic feeder, there seems a huge amount of feed on the ground beneath it?

004.jpg

135.JPG

286.JPG

522.JPG

286.JPG

No, it is a tray feeder and the tray is at least an inch and half deep.  Some whole maize and some peanuts got mixed in one bag that was put in about a week ago and I think having watched the pheasants, they throw the wheat around looking for the goodies.  It might also be badgers although that camera is not capturing any night shots for some reason. I know a load of rats come there at night as well.  This is in a small scrubby copse and pit hole along a hedge line from one wood to another...120yrds either way.  I have shot 90 this year on this small property.

Well I drove 140 miles today thinking I would make a big contribution BUT the little beggars did not respond.. I only had one from the first wood and was lucky to take another from the second.  Total 2 for the day.  I saw a fair few more but they had the spring pushed in on a feeder and would run out jump up and go in the feeder drop out and scttle back to cover before a shot. I had one lucky one on the run.  Hah Well better luck in 2020, they will still be there.   just two to add

Just one more this afternoon makes my personal total 323 Average 6.2115384 a week. Must try better my old Head Master used to write in my school reports in the most beautiful handwriting with a quill pen.  What would he think of me now I wonder ?

Spotted a new position today in a small copse which has hedges running from a large oak wood and from miles of disused railway line which is covered in trees.  Looks good, watch this space.

just the one this morning but saw eight in total, but just counld't get a clear shot on the others in the trees.

Have a problem with a woodpecker at the moment, it sifts through the feeder looking for choice bits throwing the rest down to the floor so the feeding box gets emptied in no time at all.

To make matters worse is the fact the forest floor is out of sight of my hide so I get squirrels feeding from the dropped food and not sitting on the feeding box.

I either need to clear the bracken and ferns or go back to peanuts instead of wheat and cut maize so woody does not fling stuff everywhere.

Happy New Year.

Went out again this morning and drew a blank. The three flip top feeders had been hardly touched since being refilled on Sunday morning, when I had the last two. Scanned around the pinewood with the Thermal spotter and didn’t see a single squirrel, definitely thinned them out of that patch over the last few weeks. Seventeen in the last 8 wks from the pinewood patch. Looking forward to the new areas coming on next year. I’ve had 57 in the year.

2 hours ago, ratchers said:

just the one this morning but saw eight in total, but just counld't get a clear shot on the others in the trees.

Have a problem with a woodpecker at the moment, it sifts through the feeder looking for choice bits throwing the rest down to the floor so the feeding box gets emptied in no time at all.

To make matters worse is the fact the forest floor is out of sight of my hide so I get squirrels feeding from the dropped food and not sitting on the feeding box.

I either need to clear the bracken and ferns or go back to peanuts instead of wheat and cut maize so woody does not fling stuff everywhere.

Happy New Year.

I drill 1/4 inch holes in the front of my flip tops and the small birds and woodpeckers come and feed from the holes, so very little waste.  I noticed even a hen pheasant had learned to do it as well.  I have one open fronted feeder and the wood pigeons and woodpeckers search for any peanuts so now they get just straight grain in that one.

085.JPG

Just reviewed the trail camera and had a few other guests.

Tawny owl coming in, this guy has taken a like or dislike to the camera, video show him fly upto the camera on several occasions, I guess mouse or rat feeding on food droppings and the owl is hunting them.

5MWAVwB.jpg

Charlie fox popping buy.

u7qUEeV.jpg

Mick

Edited by powler

15 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I drill 1/4 inch holes in the front of my flip tops and the small birds and woodpeckers come and feed from the holes, so very little waste.  I noticed even a hen pheasant had learned to do it as well.  I have one open fronted feeder and the wood pigeons and woodpeckers search for any peanuts so now they get just straight grain in that one.

085.JPG

Thanks for the advice, its an idea that I might use on another location.

Good shooting for 2020.

32 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Where's the 2020 thread ?????   Everybody lay in bed this morning I bet.  I have the first two to enter for 2020 and no where to put them.....

Me too! 01/01/2020....Two this morning in the garden........playing “chase me”.