Clockwise Or Not ?

Set up my Rotary a couple of days ago, which I have not used for more than a year.

I set the decoys on the end of the arms and then took the whole lot into the field for final set up. Now in my memory of using this kit before, I was convinced that the rotary worked in an anti-clockwise direction, but when it started this time it went clockwise.

Rather than change the birds around, I simply reversed the polarity for the afternoon. Worked ok of course but the rotary did seem rather slow with a 12Ah battery that had been fully charged the night before.

So, just wondered whether it was just my memory letting me down, and what direction your rotarys move in? I'm sure it makes no difference to the effectiveness of the kit on pigeons (or maybe I've got that wrong too?) and can anybody tell me if reversing polarity on these units is likely to cause any longer term problems?

By the way it is a three pronged Rotary from A1 decoys. Bought just a couple of years ago but not used much.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks for your "mostly" helpful responses.

There was however a sensible reason for my confusion and question, in that on my Rotary, when the arms are in place, the rods that pigeons are secured on are tilted upwards slightly to the left, indicating that it should be traveling in an anti-clockwise direction, and I therefore set the decoys facing to the left, assuming the decoy should appear slightly rising as opposed to taking a nose dive. 😏

And yet when attaching the wiring to the battery in the correct colour scheme, it actually rotates in a clockwise direction. Just seemed a bit odd that the mechanics indicate one way but the motor travels the opposite when wired correctly.

Nevertheless, I am quite happy to simply reverse polarity, but once again my question is, will this cause any damage to the motor on a long term basis?

Its as JDog said some pictures might help.

run in the clockwise direction the arms on my magnet also came with the holes/cradles facing downhill, all I did was to put a steel rod in the hole at the end of the arm and twisted it the other way.

This is the one I have..https://www.a1decoy.co.uk/lightweight-pigeon-magnet-4053-p.asp

When mounted my decoys are heads forward and heads up as if landing or rising. The rotation is anti-clockwise. If this helps. I will try and remember to take some pictures when I'm out next.

I did observe a shooter on a fields last week and his birds were mounted horizontal and just rotated as if on a merry go round, approaching birds flared. 

34 minutes ago, pigeon controller said:

When mounted my decoys are heads forward and heads up as if landing or rising. The rotation is anti-clockwise. If this helps. I will try and remember to take some pictures when I'm out next.

I did observe a shooter on a fields last week and his birds were mounted horizontal and just rotated as if on a merry go round, approaching birds flared. 

We do much the same, but cant the decoys inwards and get a lovely wing flash on each rotation.

This thread reminds me of the time I took Lloydi and OJW decoying on winter rape, a story I have recounted before.

I left the intrepid duo to set up whilst I set up elsewhere. When I returned to them Lloydi had the rotary instruction manual out. Had he mounted the pigeons on the contraption that confronted me they would have flown not only backwards but upside down. OJW fared no better. His new flapper had a bird mounted on it which was perpendicular with the beak pointed at and very close to the ground.

5 hours ago, JDog said:

If you would like any of the PW massive to be anything more than 'mostly helpful' please put up some pictures of the base and end of the arms.

As requested. . . . . .  the magnet is from A1 Decoys - purchased 2-3 years ago. Little used and not used at all for over a year. Not sure of the model as it does not appear on the current A1 web site.

Hopefully you can see that the angle of the pigeon arm rises up to the left and therefore indicating an anti-clockwise rotation - hence my memory of it traveling in that direction. I guess I must have simply reversed polarity when it was used before, but just don't remember doing that, but must have 'cos even I am not stupid enough to send them rotating tail first.

Still now I do find it odd that mechanically it clearly shows the unit should travel anti-clockwise, but when wired correctly it travels clockwise?

Its easy enough to reverse the polarity of course, but my question still is . . . . . does this cause any long term damage to the motor, or not a jot and it run equally efficiently in both directions?

P1080017.jpg

P1080018.jpg

P1080019.jpg

P1080020.jpg

2 hours ago, JDog said:

GG

I believe that the prong at the end of the arm can be removed and inserted the other way round.

Where are the wing spreaders?

Yeah it can of course, but that still gives the effect of the decoy lifting its head to see where it is going to nose dive !!!

Didn't bother to fit the wing spreader for the purpose of these photos

1 hour ago, motty said:

I think most motors can be reversed without any adverse effects.

HURRAH . . . . . . . AT LAST

Thanks to Motty and Ginger Cat for answering the question.

My conclusion is, firstly, that the Rotary was obviously assembled incorrectly at point of manufacture, otherwise it would work in the proper way (relative to the angles on the unit) when leads are attached correctly to the battery.

Secondly, I am now happy that my permanent use of reversed polarity is unlikely to cause any long term damage to the motor.

The End 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

The rotary I use (15 or so years old from UKShootwarehouse - their lightweight version) allows adjustment of the angle of the arms. I generally have one laying almost horizontally and the other about 30-40 degrees (if that makes sense). Thus when rotating, the pigeons, whether dead birds or artificial (hyper flaps), don't look as though they are on a merry go round (to quote PC above). I do however have each pigeon tilting inwards as if in landing mode. Seems to work for me .......mostly.

OB