Kit trolley

keeperdan

Built myself a little trolley this afternoon to carry all my kit now. I got an old carp trolley for £20 and fixed a bow on the bottom for the magnets and flapper, cartridges and batteries .. on top is my bag with nets and decoys,, hide poles and floaters straped to the main upright along with my 2 pro flappers for the magnet,, hoplefully this will work.. 

4441FADA-78A3-4E5D-8A25-747F6CB635AE.jpeg

B841C4CF-A185-419B-B9A1-97ED1AE5F2AE.jpeg

49 minutes ago, old'un said:

Years ago I converted an old golf trolley for pulling my gear across the field, worked great when it was dry but found it heavy going across a wet rape field.

Agreed. Mud sticks to the tyres. but I've a cunning plan. Not sure if it will work but I will be asking my farming friend to weld a flat metal blade over each wheel as a sort of scraper that scrapes off the mud as it builds up. One can only try.

13 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Agreed. Mud sticks to the tyres. but I've a cunning plan. Not sure if it will work but I will be asking my farming friend to weld a flat metal blade over each wheel as a sort of scraper that scrapes off the mud as it builds up. One can only try.

Yes mud scraps should do the trick, what I found was the wheels act like rolling a snowball in the snow, it just keeps getting bigger and harder to pull.

I guess fitting one of these on the axle + mud scraps might have helped…..https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/253758049188

Mine is a carp fishing trolley, fitted with a fishing seat box, the seat has a swivel top from a fly fishing boat seat, then I fixed a wood panel to the handle which acts as a backrest, 

Mud is a problem and I must try the silicone spray , sounds like a good idea, 

Still trying to reduce the amount of rubbish I drag around but end up fully loaded every time, 

Biggest problem is on the return trip , carrying heavy bags of dead birds while trying to tow the trolley at the same time, usually ends up with two trips unless I can drive to the hide.

So long distance walks are out of the question for me now, at 71 with a bad back I limit my trips to either drive to the hide or short easy walks, who ever thought I would get this old so quickly, seems like yesterday I was a lad following the keeper around , then I blinked and 50 odd years was gone in a flash, ******!!!

Ive got an old working 12 volt golf trolley that I never got round to converting for shooting , was going to mount a large plastic drum on it as a seat and storage , never got round to it.

The drum is now my shed bench seat and the trolley soon for scrap, anybody wants it can collect it.

DSCN1157.JPG

Edited by deny essex
addition

• 2 weeks later...

I used the exact same trolley as in the original picture at the start of thread. It worked well for years and also acted as the base for my magnet. It's only drawback was for shooting over laid stuff, the wheelbase was just too wide to go down the tramlines without constantly snagging up on the standing crop each side. I then found a canvas folding wheelbarrow which was better down the tramlines, but not as good over rough ground.

I made up a frame with two golf trolley wheels at the back and a bread tray. It works great, a bit tricky over humpy rutted ground but gets the job done in one trip.  I have a golf trolley motor and shaft now which I intend fitting. I already have a small battery.  Cost nothing..well a couple of welding rods.

• 1 month later...

My type of guys; making something for free and a motor to help...

Sounds good.

Can't make up my mind where to go with this yet. Not much time as I have a rape shoot, a week tomorrow and my chosen position is a good quarter mile down across the field.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...