Your choice light upland gun

islandgun

I wondered what you would choose for this type of shooting, 5 mile walk over moorland, peat bogs, burns, low cliffs, long heather and grass. Quarry woodcock, snipe, grouse, golden plover.. just me and spaniel.. only criteria is light weight........ budget up to £1000 approx 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, matone said:

Lightweight 12g s/s firing 1oz of 6.5.  An Alex Martin perhaps given your locale !!!!

This^ ..........but maybe 7's? I use a 1937, William Powell best 12, SxS BLE.....walked up Grouse on the high moor, Ptarmigan on the high tops! Never found it a burden!

You dont need an ejector for the type of shooting you describe and a SBS is more comfortable to carry on a long walk as againts an O/U. An AYA No 3 in tip top condition will be well within your budget. There is nowadays a vast choice of 20 bore cartridges on the market, so an AYA or even an English 20 bore non-ejector would be within your budget. Most older English 20s will have 2.5in. chambers so I personally would opt for an AYA with its 2.75in chambers. Plenty on the market and a great spares back up in the unlikely event a spring or striker breaks.

great stuff cheers..liking small bores and sxs..  anyone for S/A... non posh would be good as would non ejector. Ive only ever managed to get one shot off, but you never know.. looked at 28's as in second hand Rizzini BR110 approx £850. Benelli Raffaello 28 [very light]  also Kofs 20/28

Andy does that Lewis really weigh in 5lb 6oz ! looks nice

6 minutes ago, matone said:

They are indeed things of beauty the little 12`s ! Who made yours ?

Skimmin and Wood - was my grandfathers. 

2 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Andy does that Lewis really weigh in 5lb 6oz ! looks nice

That’s what it says. Mine is light, lovely to carry on walked up days. 

Cartridges I have are Eley no6 26.5grms. 

Have you a visit to wales planned soon? Come over and say hey if you have :good:

7 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Skimmin and Wood - was my grandfathers. 

That’s what it says. Mine is light, lovely to carry on walked up days. 

Cartridges I have are Eley no6 26.5grms. 

Have you a visit to wales planned soon? Come over and say hey if you have :good:

Hi Andy nothing planned at the moment but will give you a bell when i do.... cheers

hello, there is not much difference in weight to a O/U 20 bore than a light weight 12 bore such as the browning 525 light alloy side plate model, not sure anyone will agree but i all ways found a side by side better to carry  so my thought is a AYA XXV boxlock in 12 bore around 6llb, or if you prefer an O/U try a Yildiz 20 bore non ejector but what ever you decide enjoy you days out 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

I have used a 12 bore 2 1/2" S x S by Westley Richards since 1970's. I have tried all sorts of different guns, for just about all of my shooting, but the Westley weighs in at 6lbs 2ozs. so if any walking is involved it is my first choice of gun.  The S x S carries over the arm far better than ANY O/U. The semi auto, well the ONLY comfortable way to carry them is in a gunslip. (or a vehicle)  I have walked for miles over moorland after grouse and blackcock and even capers (when we could shoot them) and although even a 6lbs gun will leave a bruise on your forearm after a day on the moors, it is still the most comfortable of guns to carry. If you are expecting to get a shot, the barrels can rest on your shoulder with the muzzles pointing skywards for long distances. I was shooting driven game yesterday and have a bruise on my right shoulder from my 7lbs 20 bore and THAT was when standing on a peg  !  The Westley has shot some of the highest birds on various shoots around the Country and the highest load has been 32 gram 5's, with no excessive recoil  (because it fits me). For walked up stuff, 28 grams of 6 or 7 shot worked well enough.  An English boxlock ejector in excellent condition with it's case can be picked up for not much more money than a new Turkish gun. 

1 hour ago, Westley said:

I have used a 12 bore 2 1/2" S x S by Westley Richards since 1970's. I have tried all sorts of different guns, for just about all of my shooting, but the Westley weighs in at 6lbs 2ozs. so if any walking is involved it is my first choice of gun.  The S x S carries over the arm far better than ANY O/U. The semi auto, well the ONLY comfortable way to carry them is in a gunslip. (or a vehicle)  I have walked for miles over moorland after grouse and blackcock and even capers (when we could shoot them) and although even a 6lbs gun will leave a bruise on your forearm after a day on the moors, it is still the most comfortable of guns to carry. If you are expecting to get a shot, the barrels can rest on your shoulder with the muzzles pointing skywards for long distances. I was shooting driven game yesterday and have a bruise on my right shoulder from my 7lbs 20 bore and THAT was when standing on a peg  !  The Westley has shot some of the highest birds on various shoots around the Country and the highest load has been 32 gram 5's, with no excessive recoil  (because it fits me). For walked up stuff, 28 grams of 6 or 7 shot worked well enough.  An English boxlock ejector in excellent condition with it's case can be picked up for not much more money than a new Turkish gun. 

Words of true wisdom there.

Blackpowder

30 to 40yrs or more ago when I had a lot of shooting in the Welsh Hills I carried my Army & Navy 16 gauge side by side, today it would be my Yilditz 30 inch barreled 410.  The fact that the cartridges are half the weight as well makes a big difference over 5 or 6 hrs walking those Welsh hillsides. Both would do the job equally well, be it woodcock over pointers , rabbits out of laid bracken in Feb/March, snipe any time and the occasional grouse.  Llangattock, Aberedw, and that huge walk into the moor between Abergwesyn and the Elan Valley, sleapt well after those days.

Edited by Walker570

22 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

The gun in the link for sale isn’t mine bud, I just did a quick search with your said budget.

Mine will never be sold..

They are a joy to shoot and a little bit different, always attracts attention.

Pm me for any other info tho :good:

Father had three - a Patstone, Hellis and Linsley. He used to load his own - a genuine 2" with a crimp closure.

29 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

The gun in the link for sale isn’t mine bud, I just did a quick search with your said budget.

Mine will never be sold..

They are a joy to shoot and a little bit different, always attracts attention.

Pm me for any other info tho :good:

Yes mate I keep looking at it on the website theres also a nice Tolly with 2 1/2 chambers a lot cheaper but a bit heavier 

I hear you Figgy..Walker 570 more food for thought.. Wymberley I see they found out what ails you... good luck..

10 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Yes mate I keep looking at it on the website theres also a nice Tolly with 2 1/2 chambers a lot cheaper but a bit heavier 

I hear you Figgy..Walker 570 more food for thought.. Wymberley I see they found out what ails you... good luck..

Many thanks,  IG. The treatment has been nothing short of miraculous. Even pain which I've had to varying degrees for some 50 odd years has also gone. Just have to be a tad patient while the initial side effects of a bucket full of steroids wears off