Your choice light upland gun

islandgun

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, wymberley said:

Many thanks,  IG. The treatment has been nothing short of miraculous. Even pain which I've had to varying degrees for some 50 odd years has also gone. Just have to be a tad patient while the initial side effects of a bucket full of steroids wears off

Thats great news.. If you have any of that treatment to spare.. please forward.

Thanks everybody for the very helpful replies [as usual].. Im looking at some very nice English s/s' ranging fro 5 1/2 to just over 6 lb in 12 bore. ranging in price from £250- 850. it will be for next season so plenty of time to browse the internet, not forgetting Wabbitbosher of course.

Cheers   

12 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

Over and under then maybe a Macnab highlander 20b. I have one and if I remember correctly it weighs 6.2lbs but I may stand corrected.

SxS then I’d probably go with an boxlock AYA 25 in 20b or even 12b if you can find one in your budget. I have a 12 but wouldn’t mind a 20. 

I agree, a 20g Macnab Highlander if an over and under is your choice. Love mine and it weighs just 6 lbs and is a delight to carry.

If side by side, I would take my 16g AYA 400 (precursor to the No.3). Lovely little gun which will see me out.

OB

Some people just don’t shoot well with a SxS, also some are very tightly chokes whilst others are very open. 

I only assume you will want nice open chokes for walking up small birds. 

If you don’t want a SxS a silver pigeon 20 Bore O/U can be picked up second hand for below your budget :) I’ve recently bought one. 

Presently I am using my 12g SxS for rough shooting however as am training the dog and not worried to drop it on the ground if I need to sort or correct the dog... not so sure I’d want to do this with a nicer gun. 

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

Some people just don’t shoot well with a SxS, also some are very tightly chokes whilst others are very open. 

I only assume you will want nice open chokes for walking up small birds. 

If you don’t want a SxS a silver pigeon 20 Bore O/U can be picked up second hand for below your budget :) I’ve recently bought one. 

Presently I am using my 12g SxS for rough shooting however as am training the dog and not worried to drop it on the ground if I need to sort or correct the dog... not so sure I’d want to do this with a nicer gun. 

Thats the thing really, it is rough, rough shooting, the other day i turned to take a shot but one foot was stuck in the bog and i stumbled. slippery rocks are also a hazard.however it would be very pleasant to use a gun with character, 

Most of my pheasant shooting is as part of long walked up rough days and dont really find the gun weight an issue but see why you would prefer a lighter one.

List is endless and sure if you went to most decent gun shops you would find a few that fit the criteria and then its just down to getting on that suits you.

Have two Berettas but the only shotgun i use is the Browning which i shoot much better with.Couldnt actually tell you which chokes are in and never change.Walked up days with a mixed bag is the sport of gods imo.

40 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I agree, a 20g Macnab Highlander if an over and under is your choice. Love mine and it weighs just 6 lbs and is a delight to carry.

If side by side, I would take my 16g AYA 400 (precursor to the No.3). Lovely little gun which will see me out.

OB

We are alike in gun choices Old boggy. There is a lovely cased 16g highlander on gun trader. I’d be sorely tempted if I had some extra stashed cash

2 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thanks everybody for the very helpful replies [as usual].. Im looking at some very nice English s/s' ranging fro 5 1/2 to just over 6 lb in 12 bore. ranging in price from £250- 850. it will be for next season so plenty of time to browse the internet, not forgetting Wabbitbosher of course.

Cheers   

`I think you have selected right with a sxs in 12 gauge, nice and light. Suggest you have right barrel with cylinder choke the other what ever you prefer, my father use to shoot cylinder and full with a 30 inch barrel 12 gauge and I have used similar in the past. Given the rough terrain you shoot over a AYA Yeaman or similar would do the job for not much money. For cartridges 1oz of 6 or 7 shot. Good luck and enjoy.

I do my walked up shooting (including walked up grouse) with a lightish s/s.  An AyA is ideal.  I use 28" barrels 12 bore.  Lots available from Yeoman non ejectors at around a couple of hundred quid for a tidy one.  A few quid more for a boxlock ejector, and you will possibly even find a decent sidelock No 2 in your budget.  Then - if you can live with 25", there are the XXV models in both boxlock and sidelock.

All AyAs are robust, well made excellent value used and there are plenty around to choose from.

Edited by JohnfromUK

Thats the thing really, it is rough, rough shooting, the other day i turned to take a shot but one foot was stuck in the bog and i stumbled. slippery rocks are also a hazard.however it would be very pleasant to use a gun with character, 

I’d buy a rough and ready Spanish SxS in either 12 or 20 Bore, whichever takes your fancy :) just something for £100-150. 

Nice light gun and you won’t mind if you slip and bang it on a rock or have to unload it and use it to wade out the mud 😂

The roughest gun I have is a Spanish master SxS that’s not worth much and got plenty of knocks on it. It belonged to a good friend who sadly passed away and I bought it off his family. I’ve shot some of my best ever pigeons with it, and the other day dropped my dogs first pheasant with it! 

4 hours ago, winnie&bezza said:

We are alike in gun choices Old boggy. There is a lovely cased 16g highlander on gun trader. I’d be sorely tempted if I had some extra stashed cash

As much as I like the Highlanders in 20g, the 16g ones were made on a 12 action and therefore weigh just over 7 lbs, which somewhat defeats the object of a 16 to my way of thinking. Someone on here (name escapes me) has a Highlander in 28g which I didn`t know that they made but I bet that`s a lovely gun for walking up. 

I have a 16g Lincoln Jubilee Prestige which weighs about 6 1/2 lbs handles well and is great to shoot.

OB

10 hours ago, islandgun said:

Cheers   

It is that, think I'm going to need my fingers to work. Look what santa brought:

003.jpg

21 minutes ago, islandgun said:

Thanks for the replies gents. Im looking at some English 12 BLNE 21/2 chambers and a Macnab 20 g, heres me earlier today with my wifes 28g S/A.. cheers

The main snag with 2 1/2" chambers is it is very hard to get steel (or other 'non toxic') ammunition. I believe there is possibly only 1 brand available.  2 3/4" has a decent choice of steel normal performance.  You may not need non toxic.

54 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

The main snag with 2 1/2" chambers is it is very hard to get steel (or other 'non toxic') ammunition. I believe there is possibly only 1 brand available.  2 3/4" has a decent choice of steel normal performance.  You may not need non toxic.

Cheers, John Ive got the steel covered TBH only need a light gun for walking and use lead

53 minutes ago, sako751sg said:

As above.

Hopefully some birds obliged to add to the day fella.

Two shots at woodcock neither connected, not unusual..for me..😉  its a big area and Im just finding out preferred areas, next season I might move up here !

57 minutes ago, WelshAndy said:

Fantastic scenery mate!

Cheers Andy..  great walking country can get a bit drafty at times though

Edited by islandgun

Cheers, John Ive got the steel covered TBH only need a light gun for walking and use lead

Two shots at woodcock neither connected, not unusual..for me..😉  its a big area and Im just finding out preferred areas, next season I might move up here !

Cheers Andy..  great walking country can get a bit drafty at times though

Can I come stay? 🤔😜

Looks stunning mate, hope the dog worked well... bet he was well P’d off when you missed lol 

13 hours ago, islandgun said:

Thanks for the replies gents. Im looking at some English 12 BLNE 21/2 chambers and a Macnab 20 g, heres me earlier today with my wifes 28g S/A.. cheers

1527884162_thumbnail(1).jpg.6f27a64c7e9c2a6d0b0b77d61de4167a.jpg

I was just about to write that a 28 bore semi auto with a sling would be perfect!

I personally love carrying a short barrelled SBS. I've used a 26" gun for a few years and find it very fast. I tried a 20 bore SBS and just found it too small in the hands.

2 hours ago, theshootist said:

I was just about to write that a 28 bore semi auto with a sling would be perfect!

I personally love carrying a short barrelled SBS. I've used a 26" gun for a few years and find it very fast. I tried a 20 bore SBS and just found it too small in the hands.

Its an Armsan and ive used it to some success, I bought it for my wife and teenage daughter because it has a short stock and  no discernible recoil, yesterdays walk involved perhaps 2+ miles of walk before i head off into the hill and im happy to use the sling and leave the gun unloaded. Im assuming that it would be quite easy to make a lightweight removable sling that would slip over the barrels and stock of a conventional shotgun.. Im thinking that a gun between 5 1/2 and 6 1/4 lbs would be a nice weight, suited to about 25g load, this would be usable in all bores from 28-20-16-12 g.. It would also be nice to have an acceptable gun if i ever had a day on game or pigeon down south. at present i have a T Wild 3" chamber "wildfowler" that weighs nearly 8lb and a Fabarm 12g semi i use with steel.. At the moment Im favouring the Macnab 20g or similar as an all rounder.. heres a picture of the 28g from another thread

1307046698_DSCN23981.JPG.d43d54ce45783ad5c930df95536f6e53.JPG.f9d430a9d1f1917a87f3ab8bca8d2e8e.JPG

Edited by islandgun

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

Its an Armsan and ive used it to some success, I bought it for my wife and teenage daughter because it has a short stock and  no discernible recoil, yesterdays walk involved perhaps 2+ miles of walk before i head off into the hill and im happy to use the sling and leave the gun unloaded. Im assuming that it would be quite easy to make a lightweight removable sling that would slip over the barrels and stock of a conventional shotgun.. Im thinking that a gun between 5 1/2 and 6 1/4 lbs would be a nice weight, suited to about 25g load, this would be usable in all bores from 28-20-16-12 g.. It would also be nice to have an acceptable gun if i ever had a day on game or pigeon down south. at present i have a T Wild 3" chamber "wildfowler" that weighs nearly 8lb and a Fabarm 12g semi i use with steel.. At the moment Im favouring the Macnab 20g or similar as an all rounder.. heres a picture of the 28g from another thread

1307046698_DSCN23981.JPG.d43d54ce45783ad5c930df95536f6e53.JPG.f9d430a9d1f1917a87f3ab8bca8d2e8e.JPG

I don`t think that you would be disappointed with a 20g Macnab Highlander. The sideplated version is the better looking, but I just have the normal boxlock and love it. Had the sideplate version and regretted selling it so just had to get another. I think that they vary in weight between 6 & 6 1/4 lbs and some have really nice woodwork. Might trade up to a sideplate someday, if the old pension can stand it !!

OB

28 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

I don`t think that you would be disappointed with a 20g Macnab Highlander. The sideplated version is the better looking, but I just have the normal boxlock and love it. Had the sideplate version and regretted selling it so just had to get another. I think that they vary in weight between 6 & 6 1/4 lbs and some have really nice woodwork. Might trade up to a sideplate someday, if the old pension can stand it !!

OB

They do have nice woodwork. This is my L/H one. A62D2A84-3969-4F76-A74F-9B9AD329BA15.jpeg.25ea2f95647d2f1b8b55107ce7697284.jpeg

6275861B-362A-469B-AEF2-54310D1BABE8.jpeg